Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150657 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #511
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
15 photo premiere, gallery with the K-1, didn't need to know French to decipher it, the link isn't dangerous looking either.

05-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #512
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
You can also check for the performance of many DA lenses in this topic: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/31629-da-lenses-f...ts-thread.html

Since nobody reads that topic, or doesn't want to sift through 30 pages, I'll just leave this tidbit here too:

...Regarding the DA 10-17 at 14mm. It has been previously confirmed that the lens covers full-frame at this focal length, but it has another surprise. Look at these two images shot from a stationary tripod, SR off:

The top image is from the Pentax-F Fisheye 17-28mm at 17mm, it's widest setting. This lens is a 180 diagonal fisheye at 17mm, same as the 10-17 is to an APS-C camera at 10mm.
The bottom image comes from the DA 10-17 at 14mm! It has a dramatically larger field of view than the 17-28.

The difference even holds up when both lenses are focused to infinity. Anyone wanting an ultra-wide for their K-1 would do well to hold onto their 10-17.
Thanks for this great info. I do 360 panos and that boosts my morale since I may not have to shave the hood...but may have to buy that K1 after all...!!!
05-07-2016, 07:29 PM   #513
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A 50 f/1.7 @ f/2, center crop.

Full size.
05-07-2016, 07:51 PM   #514

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
For the friend who was asking about Tamron 70-200/2.8 images with the K-1. The Tammy lens is one of my favourites and after the initial AF problems that I managed to overcome (with the Tamron service support) it performs excellent. The center resolution and sharpness is amazing for a zoom lens. Up to now I used it on my K-5IIs and on the crop sensor the peripheral IQ degradation was negligible. On the K-1 there is significant loss of IQ and much CA and aberrations as you move from the center to the edges of the frame. Even stopped down the lens suffers from obvious peripheral IQ degradation. So as I said earlier its up to you to decide what do you want this lens for and if it matches your shooting style. For me that I care mostly for the center performance, it is a great lens. Now with the K-1 its AF performance and speed is even better and that is another plus!

The peripheral IQ degradation is more evident in some focus lengths than others. At the shortest end 70mm I think is the most severe. Here is a picture that shows what I'm talking about. Not the best (maybe even some motion blur) but it is a good example and that is why I attach it. After I mounded my Tamron on the K-1 I feel that maybe it is also a bit decentered, as there are more problems on the right side of the frames than on the left... The original picture and 3 100% crops from it (center - middle border left - middle border right, all from the original OOC Jpeg with no PP):
It appears to me that you have a defective lens; the reviews on that lens with full frame don't mention those sort of problems, and I don't see any indication from other system full frame shooters in the past that they have those issues. It is possible that in repairing your lens that Tamron service may have decentered an internal lens element.

Do any of the rest of you Tamron 70-200 shooters see these kind of issues with your lenses?

Here is a quote from one of the reviews of that lens:

"The Tamron maintains its excellent performance on full frame; it benefits from the usual advantage of higher perceived sharpness on the larger format, and chromatic aberration, falloff and distortion are all within acceptable limits. It's at least a match for the Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM in terms of sharpness across the range, and indeed is noticeably sharper wide open at 70mm."

Last edited by HoustonBob; 05-07-2016 at 08:04 PM.
05-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #515
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
I'm officially keeping a TC stuck on my DA* 50-135 now, specifically the Vivitar 2x Macro Focusing Converter. Any good quality TC will work (except the DA 1.4x?), maybe I'll switch to an auto-focus one sometime.
That's interesting to me. I wonder how well a 1.4x teleconverter would function? That would essentially make this a 70-200mm f/4 right?
05-07-2016, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #516
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gryhnd Quote
At the very cold and foggy Cape Cod Canal (Sandwich end) this afternoon.
Oh, man...now you have me wanting a K-1 even more.

Steve
05-07-2016, 08:47 PM - 6 Likes   #517

Did a quick portrait session today with the K-1 and the 43mm wide open.

Last edited by ravenorxs; 05-07-2016 at 09:12 PM.
05-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #518

QuoteOriginally posted by ravenorxs Quote
Did a quick portrait session today with the K-1 and the 43mm wide open.

The K-1 truly reveals the magic of the 43 ltd that has been hidden on APS-C.
05-07-2016, 11:30 PM - 7 Likes   #519
Pentaxian

FA 31

05-08-2016, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #520
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aurora Borealis with the K-1

The northern lights were dancing tonight so I tried out the old SMC Tak 28/3.5 on the K-1 with the screw mount adapter. No problems. The lighted connector made it easy to attach the wired release. Wide open for 10 seconds at ISO1600.

05-08-2016, 12:39 AM   #521

QuoteOriginally posted by HoustonBob Quote
It appears to me that you have a defective lens; the reviews on that lens with full frame don't mention those sort of problems, and I don't see any indication from other system full frame shooters in the past that they have those issues. It is possible that in repairing your lens that Tamron service may have decentered an internal lens element.

Do any of the rest of you Tamron 70-200 shooters see these kind of issues with your lenses?

"The Tamron maintains its excellent performance on full frame; it benefits from the usual advantage of higher perceived sharpness on the larger format, and chromatic aberration, falloff and distortion are all within acceptable limits. It's at least a match for the Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM in terms of sharpness across the range, and indeed is noticeably sharper wide open at 70mm."
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/rjsteve343/sets/72157668005251716/

My first day out with this lens... Not great shots but no flaws from the lens that I noted.
05-08-2016, 12:46 AM   #522

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
The northern lights were dancing tonight so I tried out the old SMC Tak 28/3.5 on the K-1 with the screw mount adapter. No problems. The lighted connector made it easy to attach the wired release. Wide open for 10 seconds at ISO1600.
Are you using astro feature ? I was wondering because the trees are blurry... Or is it just the wind ? That's actually a question I had. Since the sensor is moving to compensate for the rotation of the earth, it means everything "attached" to the earth should appear blurry ? So you trading start trails for blurry foregrounds... Or do we have to use astrotracer only for full sky shot without any foreground ?
05-08-2016, 01:07 AM   #523
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HoustonBob Quote

It could be possible that my lens has some defects. But since I have corrected its AF and I get tack sharp images even wide open in the center and to an area bigger than the crop format, it is OK for my use! I wouldn't risk loosing something to gain something else. Maybe some other Tamron owners had better luck with their copies (some mentioned that had no AF problems at all and some own lenses that even AF on live view mode!) but my lens serves me well now and I know that the DFA 70-200 is the way to go if at some point want an upgrade in almost every aspect (and I'm willing to pay 3,6 times more money).
05-08-2016, 05:53 AM - 4 Likes   #524
Pentaxian

1st birding session with K1

Last edited by kengoh; 05-08-2016 at 09:40 AM.
05-08-2016, 06:12 AM   #525
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@FtYou - It was quite windy so the trees were whipping around. I had the GPS enabled but not the Astrotracer since the camera was on a tracking mount on the tripod anyway. Some of the foreground blur is from the tracking mount but most is from the wind.
« k1 vs k1ii | - »