Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150667 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2016, 11:50 AM   #661
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnc Quote
Yes - although the SR is so good, you might not need them!
Glad to read that !
What I ment was to use this combo in low light environment such as in the forest and catch a few bird shots!
I can do that with the K5 but with the K3 ... well ....

05-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #662

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Pixel shift with the D-FA 2.8/100 Macro WR . . .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56053365@N07/26348460563/sizes/l
Oh Wow...impressive
05-11-2016, 12:33 PM - 2 Likes   #663
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Is the K-1's AF an improvement over the K-3 or are you referring to the K-5 and earlier?

By the way, the squirrels and doves seem to look more 3-D and life-like in the photos taken with the K-1!
Can't speak for the K3 but the K1 is head over heels better AF than the K5IIs and it was pretty decent. This is like no Pentax before, trust me! When the big 'ol slow Bigma is faster than a cat you know something has changed...and it has!

Yep, the squirrels are not complaining ...for once! They love the K1 already! No longer do they have to freeze for minutes while I try to focus, it's lightning fast and accurate.

Not that they have any real problem freezing ...for more than a few minutes! Lazy little rascals!

The K1 is simply amazing, even compared to all my past Pentax cameras. I am being astonished with every moment I spend with it!

Regards!
05-11-2016, 12:33 PM   #664
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomO2013 Quote
Thanks so much guys for the kind words. It was a random street portrait of this older gentleman standing outside city centre mall. Shot on 24-70 2.8 @ f3.2 I believe i used aperture priority mode. Very little editing in light room. 1 min tops. I positioned him in doorway to get some nice natural light

And I am sorry about watermarks. Twice now I've had images stolen where somebody else was making money with them without crediting me / paying me. In one case an image of a wolf was used for a calendar!
I share for (hopefully) others enjoyment and don't get paid. Putting the watermark was the best way that I could find to make sure that they are not stolen.
Hey Tom,

thanks for catching me back here. The 24-70 seems to be hell of a lens then. wow. what quality!!! Keep your work up, mate!!!

Watermarks:
Totally see your point. making money with ones shots is a dickmove. You couldn't come back and tell them you have the original file and maybe even the RAW?
I read an article about watermarks and the guy stated that it is better to have them not seen directly but more in a subtle way, in this way you can later expose the stealer. The idea is that they don't lookcarefulyl enough to see them at the first glance and think there is no mark in it. I don't find the article, sorry...

05-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #665
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to add to this point (I don't want the thread to go too far off topic) but y'all should read the fine print on ANY CLOUD STORAGE you use.
Many of them have had hidden in the fine print that you give up rights on images and they can use your images if they are inclined.
Some of them went back and had to modify their agreements after they got caught by photographers angry enough to make a stink.

See article here at petapixel for example:

A Look at What Top Cloud Storage Services Say About Your Photo Rights

Beware, they be tricksie and are after your precious images!
Eric

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
Hey Tom,

thanks for catching me back here. The 24-70 seems to be hell of a lens then. wow. what quality!!! Keep your work up, mate!!!

Watermarks:
Totally see your point. making money with ones shots is a dickmove. You couldn't come back and tell them you have the original file and maybe even the RAW?
I read an article about watermarks and the guy stated that it is better to have them not seen directly but more in a subtle way, in this way you can later expose the stealer. The idea is that they don't lookcarefulyl enough to see them at the first glance and think there is no mark in it. I don't find the article, sorry...
05-11-2016, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #666
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax F 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 test.
Attached Images

05-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #667
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Just to add to this point (I don't want the thread to go too far off topic) but y'all should read the fine print on ANY CLOUD STORAGE you use.
Many of them have had hidden in the fine print that you give up rights on images and they can use your images if they are inclined.
Some of them went back and had to modify their agreements after they got caught by photographers angry enough to make a stink.

Beware, they be tricksie and are after your precious images!
Eric
Almost none of them say that. And I don't think any of them would claim to take over your copyright. If you want your image on their server, then you have to give them permission to make alterations and distribute the images too. For instance, creating a thumbnail for easy browsing means they have to have permission to alter your work. Or if you want to access your images from another computer, they have to have permission to distribute your work. Most people look too closely for the sinister things in these terms and miss the trees for the forest. They didn't get "caught", they just used legal wording that people didn't understand and it scared them.

05-11-2016, 03:01 PM - 4 Likes   #668

Photos: Albums
I give you a few sunset shots from today. I really do need a better wide angle lens than my old 1977 sigma 18mm F2.8 filtermatic. not to be rude, it works but the resolution just isn't there, and corner sharpness is close to nonexistent. But who cares about that when you have views like this?

05-11-2016, 03:14 PM   #669
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Can't speak for the K3 but the K1 is head over heels better AF than the K5IIs and it was pretty decent.
I don't see it yet when I test K-1 AF.C on flying birds and running squirrels. It also depends on lens, I guess. Old Tamron 90mm macro has the same terrible AF ability on K-1, but I use it for MF macro anyway.

DA 70mm ltd is good, and seems faster focusing than FA 77mm f1.8. I love them both for portraits, but it seems that 70mm benefits more on FF (personal opinion), while 77mm is simply very good at any format.
Also, wth K-1 I noticed moire on bird's feathers, first time ever. Must be because of bigger sensor. Seems like sensor filter simulator minimizes it, pretty handful feature.

One thing about ergonomics of K-1 is pretty upsetting, my right big finger hurts because of bigger (deeper) groove on the back of the camera.
I keep K5iis for birding and wildlife.
05-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #670
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
I give you a few sunset shots from today. I really do need a better wide angle lens than my old 1977 sigma 18mm F2.8 filtermatic. not to be rude, it works but the resolution just isn't there, and corner sharpness is close to nonexistent. But who cares about that when you have views like this?

I like the colors and particularly the smooth and subtle color transition I see. So far I like everything I see and hear about the K-1. I will buy it one of these days.
05-11-2016, 03:50 PM   #671
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I don't see it yet when I test K-1 AF.C on flying birds and running squirrels.
I can't speak for AF-C Micro...I don't do birds in flight and my squirrels are all too fat to run.

What I can say, and did, is that the Bigma has always been a headache to focus fast and accurate on any previous Pentax body. Not so in any regard on the K1. I think I can assume that if it is fast and accurate then any other faster lens would do at least as well.

Regards!
05-11-2016, 04:03 PM   #672
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Has anyone tried the 16-50mm or the 50-135mm on the K-1 with a 1.4x teleconverter?
Anyone here have the 1.4x and a K-1 ?
05-11-2016, 04:06 PM - 5 Likes   #673
Pentaxian

Very pleased with K1's high iso performance

sunbird feeding shot @iso 6400
05-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #674
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HD 1.4 TC works great with the DA*300 on the K-1. Some shots with this setup in crop mode back on page 42.
05-11-2016, 05:17 PM - 4 Likes   #675

We have had first K1: squirrel, model, birds... How about an American Icon: First Hooters Girl.

FA 50mm F1.4 ISO 800 f2.8 @ 1/50th

The lighting was really horrible - even a WiBal card couldn't sort it out. This was my best guess at the white balance on the raw file.
Attached Images