Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2016, 12:10 AM   #976

In my opinion every body have different rendering. Yesterday I bought X-Rite color Passport as I want to have better color managment.

05-18-2016, 12:23 AM   #977
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
The larger version is at Flickr.

Beautiful shot. Nice composition.
05-18-2016, 12:28 AM   #978
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiotrKrochmal Quote
In my opinion every body have different rendering. Yesterday I bought X-Rite color Passport as I want to have better color managment.
I agree! The K-1 is a new camera and there will be a period of time to adapt our workflow and settings to get the best out of it for our style of photography. This is something normal.
05-18-2016, 12:34 AM   #979
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Is it just my imagination or do many K1 images have a "look" that's a bit different from any previous Pentax?
Could possibly be due to:

1. The K-1 has slightly different colour signature. I find it rather closer to the K-7, and different than K-3.

One example is the blue, which I find is rich and vibrant. The Pentax special K-1 site actually did mention that their engineers put in special care in the color output of the K-1, and they talked about blue, among other things if I recall. Don't know if they meant for ooc jpegs, or in the sensor response, or whatever.

2. For a given FOV, the pictures are (generally) being shot using a longer focal-length now than previously. Example, if on APS-C an FA31 was being used, on Full-frame an FA43 is now being used. The 31, being a wideangle focal length, would introduce some perspective distortion, which is natural. So although the FOV is the same, the shot from the 31 would, for example, slightly exaggerate converging/diverging lines, whereas the 43 would give the same FOV, but without any perspective exaggeration. This difference is perceivable in a shot.

3. Maybe a higher percentage of shots are being captured using older A, M lenses etc.? These old glass definitely have their own rendering character.

Last edited by KDAFA; 05-18-2016 at 12:48 AM.
05-18-2016, 01:15 AM   #980
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote
Could possibly be due to:

1. The K-1 has slightly different colour signature. I find it rather closer to the K-7, and different than K-3.

One example is the blue, which I find is rich and vibrant. The Pentax special K-1 site actually did mention that their engineers put in special care in the color output of the K-1, and they talked about blue, among other things if I recall. Don't know if they meant for ooc jpegs, or in the sensor response, or whatever.

2. For a given FOV, the pictures are (generally) being shot using a longer focal-length now than previously. Example, if on APS-C an FA31 was being used, on Full-frame an FA43 is now being used. The 31, being a wideangle focal length, would introduce some perspective distortion, which is natural. So although the FOV is the same, the shot from the 31 would, for example, slightly exaggerate converging/diverging lines, whereas the 43 would give the same FOV, but without any perspective exaggeration. This difference is perceivable in a shot.

3. Maybe a higher percentage of shots are being captured using older A, M lenses etc.? These old glass definitely have their own rendering character.
^ all of this, but especially number 2. I think this is one of the things that gives larger format photos their character, and is especially noticeable on MF shots.
05-18-2016, 01:46 AM - 9 Likes   #981
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K 50/1.2...pixel shift 8s exposure

05-18-2016, 02:19 AM   #982
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Or is it something else you're noticing?
Chromatic aberration.

05-18-2016, 04:02 AM   #983
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful shot. Nice composition.
Thanks for the feedback.

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
It's interersting to see the exposure difference between the single exposure and the PS shot Noel. The PS tone seems more dramatic and creates a more immersive image.
05-18-2016, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #984

Another one from Dockey Wood with the K-1 and FA Limited 43

05-18-2016, 05:36 AM   #985
Pentaxian

Hang on this is a misunderstanding right? Perspective and compression should be identical?
05-18-2016, 05:47 AM   #986
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Hang on this is a misunderstanding right? Perspective and compression should be identical?
He said quite a bit there. Identical to what?
05-18-2016, 06:19 AM   #987
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
He said quite a bit there. Identical to what?
When the field of view is identical the perspective and compression is identical?

Switching lens/sensor combo for the same field view results in identical perspective.
05-18-2016, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #988
Veteran Member

This thread makes me a daily visitor of the forum again. You guys are taking some stunning shots with the K-1. Too bad that I have to wait till probably July to join y'all.
05-18-2016, 07:08 AM   #989
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Your pixel shift version is so much better than the normal version. Very nice indeed.
05-18-2016, 07:13 AM   #990
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zen4Life Quote
Your pixel shift version is so much better than the normal version. Very nice indeed.
I was quite surprised how well it handled the water (non pixel shifted version is in my flickr stream)
« k1 vs k1ii | - »