Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150667 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #3286
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why the Crop Mode?

Of course, the obvious is that "real" photographers don't use the Crop Mode...but there is more to it than that.

Here is a FF Bigma shot I took this morning....

In order to show detail of the subject, cropping is required.....so why not just use the Crop Mode to begin with and save time and energy in processing? If you are lazy like me, ever second counts in conserving your energy!

More time to waste, easier to process the smaller files, and just as good for web viewing! Also, when I took that FF shot it was necessary for me to put on my fancy pants, silk shirt, alligator shoes and belt and stick my gold cigarette holder in my mouth to look professional. That took time and energy to get dressed for the shot....and made me tired!

With the Crop Mode I can wear my old Farm Pants and boots, a dirty T-shirt and no belt with an old week old cigar stub dangling from my lips for good luck. Much more comfortable too!

Regards! & Long live the Crop Mode...Thank you Pentax!

08-15-2016, 10:50 AM - 4 Likes   #3287
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Thanks FS! A few more weeks of roasted peanuts and he will be fat enough for Thanksgiving dinner!
But will it be enough for Mrs Rupert and you ? But on the other hand the dove don't seem to be ready... I have some good recipes for stuffed doves

Here is a FF Bigma shot I took this morning....
Oh you forgot to change the mode before shooting

1. FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA* 200mm F2.8 ED SDM • Kenko Pz-AF UniPlus Tube 25

2. FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA 70mm F2.4 Limited • Kenko Pz-AF UniPlus Tube 25 • Metz Flash 52 AF-1 Digital with Ray-Flash universal L ring adapter

3. Crop Mode • 400 ISO • HD Pentax DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW
08-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #3288
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
But will it be enough for Mrs Rupert and you ? But on the other hand the dove don't seem to be ready... I have some good recipes for stuffed doves

So many great pictures the last week or so, from far too many people to mention. But fs999, those are three beautiful shots.

John

---------- Post added 08-15-16 at 06:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
More people and candids with the K1 and FA31ltd from Bali.

31mm, 35mm, 28mm are not the natural focal lengths that I use my people/candids/street shots.
But I think after this trip, I will use it more.
It gives a better perspective to the environment of the subject.
Well done, great shots, just scrolling down I feel like I am there!

John
08-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #3289
Veteran Member

But will it be enough for Mrs Rupert and you ?
At the rate they are growing fat it will be plenty!

#1 is so gorgeous FS! #2 is a winner also, but the little birdie once again steals the show.

No more than you use that lens, you need to send it to me where it would get a good workout every day.

Regards!

08-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #3290
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnc Quote
So many great pictures the last week or so, from far too many people to mention. But fs999, those are three beautiful shots.
Thank you John !

No more than you use that lens, you need to send it to me where it would get a good workout every day.
There is no squirrel anymore in my garden to be able to handle the lens over...
08-15-2016, 11:38 AM   #3291
Veteran Member

There is no squirrel anymore in my garden to be able to handle the lens over...
I can fix that! Send my your address and I will send you a big box full of squirrels and a pre-paid label to ship me that lens! I am so excited!

Regards!
08-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #3292
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can fix that! Send my your address and I will send you a big box full of squirrels and a pre-paid label to ship me that lens! I am so excited!
Did you give them thousand bucks each to give them to me ?

08-15-2016, 01:24 PM - 2 Likes   #3293
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally got around to trying my old 17mm Tak Fisheye on the K-1 with M42 adapter... I was thinking about getting the Samyang 14mm some day, but ya know what, with the lens profile in PS... I think I am going be to OK with just de-fishing the 17mm for as little as I will use it. Great old Takumar colors, and even a nice star flare similar to the DA15.

(In full disclosure, mine isn't even the "SMC Takumar" label, just the "Fisheye Takumar". Not sure if there really is a difference, because when you look at the front element, it obviously has a robust SMC coating.)

17mm ISO 100 1/180th F8

The lens profile was just used straight up, I didn't do any extra de-fishing with the sliders, but I could have if I wanted total correction...in the end, I decided I liked the effect as is and decided to leave it be.

17mm ISO 100 1/90th F8
08-15-2016, 02:34 PM - 2 Likes   #3294
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sunrise at Salt Fork Lake.

08-15-2016, 03:56 PM - 2 Likes   #3295
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A lot of the chicory has gone by, but there are some blossoms still about.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #3296
Veteran Member

I was all set up to shoot some raccoons tonight....they were all here, and I was ready. For whatever reason the mama called them all away and off they went? They have no fear of me or the flash, so it wasn't that...who knows how raccoons think?

I did discover that Live View is not good for shooting in the dark. Focus is very slow and not accurate for most of the time. Switching to the viewfinder, even if you can barely see anything, gives fast and accurate focus.

Maybe mama wanted it all to herself? There were several smoked beef patties and 4 slices of fried bacon in there....heck, I might have done the same!

I'll stay up a little longer, just in case they come back...if she left anything for them?

Regards!
08-15-2016, 11:26 PM - 4 Likes   #3297

Some shots from today. Sun was getting low creating nice glow. Great Blue Heron shots at top and Greater Yellowlegs at bottom.
K-1 with SMC 500mm f/4.5

Great Blue Heron

Greater Yellowlegs

08-16-2016, 12:56 AM - 1 Like   #3298
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even Greenies like nectar.

---------- Post added 08-16-16 at 04:04 PM ----------

You know it's spring when................

08-16-2016, 03:55 AM - 2 Likes   #3299
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This image is part of the reason I went for a K1. The camera was resting directly on the ground, the lens propped up a little with a chunk of the coarse mulch to get correct framing. Using the articulated screen it was pretty easy to do the framing. If I were using the K3 and had to peer through the viewfinder, even with the refconverter attached, I probably would have bypassed this photo-op.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-16-2016, 04:51 AM - 7 Likes   #3300
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Wow, Chris. Pic #1 is your best yet.
Nikki appreciates your comment. Thank you kindly.

Last edited by LeRolls; 08-16-2016 at 05:34 AM.