Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150732 Likes Search this Thread
08-18-2016, 08:13 AM - 2 Likes   #3346

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
That is a dandy Heron series! I've got some in the queue from the other day to post... now I'm not so sure I want mine next to yours.

I've been contemplating some more reach than my Tamron 70-200mm w/ 1.4x can give me, and the old SMC 500 4.5 you are using was on my list to consider, along with the Bigma that Rupert uses. Since I tend to hand hold or use my monopod a lot, I was thinking the Bigma might be the better choice, or find a 400 5.6 in some variety (Pentax, Tokina, Sigma?) but I'm just not sure I will like the ergonomics. How do you find the SMC 500 to use?
Thanks in advance,
Eric
Thanks for the kind words.
I really like SMC 500 f/4.5 and SMC A 400mm f/5.6. I have both of them. SMC 500mm takes some time to master it. But once you get it dialed in with exposures it can produce fantastic images consistently.
I shoot it mostly on tripod. Not an easy to handheld, I do it sometimes when I have to. This where SMC A 400mm f/5.6 is nice, which I never use with tripod and it is easy to handheld. Both lenses produce sharp images. The 500mm gives you more reach and 400mm more flexibility.
Far as Bigma goes, I don't own it so I can't really comment on it ,, but I see Rupert producing some very fine images with it. Nice thing about Bigma that it is autofocus and it is 50-500mm (great lens).

Since you are planing to handheld or use monopod then Bigma is a great choice.

It really depends on your budget and what are you planning to shoot ..action, birds in flight then autofocus is better choice,,etc. There are some awesome new lenses out there like Pentax 150-450mm, Sigma 500mm f/4.5.
Here is older Sigma 400mm f/5.6 AF..hard to find in Pentax mount. Sigma Sigma 400mm F5.6 APO (AF) Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database.
I personally prefer prime lenses. There is enough high quality older Pentax lenses out there to choose from.
There is no good or bad answer here, because everybody's needs and what they can afford are different.

08-18-2016, 08:31 AM   #3347
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Excellent shot!
Thanks for the kind words, Rupert. I always find Otis & company amusing. BTW: Locally the campus of Mt. Holyoke College has always been noted for its population of melanistic "gray" squirrels. This year, for the first time, I've seen several out in woods behind our place (we are 10 miles or so from the college). No chance to get an image as yet as they seem quite wary and don't come close. I'm hesitant to set out something to attract them because that will also attract birds, and I've discontinued feeding birds because of Annabelle, which has been frustrating as I like to have feeder-birds up close.
08-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #3348
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Thanks for the kind words, Rupert. I always find Otis & company amusing.
You are most welcome! Thank you for yours! Otis is not so "appreciated' by everyone, but he does have his fans and he is still around, and not going anywhere. Life without Otis just wouldn't be the same, would it?

Regards!
08-18-2016, 10:14 AM - 2 Likes   #3349
Veteran Member

Shooting the doves gets a little boring.....

Time to go squirrel fishing! Just bait-up and wait!
Name:  IMGP2945-800-K1.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  368.4 KB

Won't be long until this curious little troublemaker is on to the scent of peanut butter and roasted peanuts!

Name:  IMGP2943-800-K1.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  329.2 KB

08-18-2016, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #3350
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, that is very helpful info. Ron over on the other forum offered me that exact Sigma 400 tele macro with the larger front element, but he suddenly passed away before I could buy it. There was some question in his mind as to weather it would work on a K-1, software wise, but I take it yours works fine? Ron spoke highly of that lens. Now I'm doubly sad, that Ron passed, and that I missed the lens...
Eric

QuoteOriginally posted by cleaverx Quote
Thanks for the kind words.
I really like SMC 500 f/4.5 and SMC A 400mm f/5.6. I have both of them. SMC 500mm takes some time to master it. But once you get it dialed in with exposures it can produce fantastic images consistently.
I shoot it mostly on tripod. Not an easy to handheld, I do it sometimes when I have to. This where SMC A 400mm f/5.6 is nice, which I never use with tripod and it is easy to handheld. Both lenses produce sharp images. The 500mm gives you more reach and 400mm more flexibility.
Far as Bigma goes, I don't own it so I can't really comment on it ,, but I see Rupert producing some very fine images with it. Nice thing about Bigma that it is autofocus and it is 50-500mm (great lens).

Since you are planing to handheld or use monopod then Bigma is a great choice.

It really depends on your budget and what are you planning to shoot ..action, birds in flight then autofocus is better choice,,etc. There are some awesome new lenses out there like Pentax 150-450mm, Sigma 500mm f/4.5.
Here is older Sigma 400mm f/5.6 AF..hard to find in Pentax mount. Sigma Sigma 400mm F5.6 APO (AF) Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database.
I personally prefer prime lenses. There is enough high quality older Pentax lenses out there to choose from.
There is no good or bad answer here, because everybody's needs and what they can afford are different.
08-18-2016, 10:53 AM - 2 Likes   #3351
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The fly below may be the same as the one in your first image, or at least a closely related species. K1 + 200SMCA macro.
Yes, it seems to be the same family : a hover fly ! Nice shot !
Also, Frederic, the daisy is a bokeh dream...
Thank you Eric !
I heard a squirrel mumbling......"It is sad to see someone as lazy as old Rupert."
Not even mounting a macro lens, like me ! Actually is the 18-35 a macro lens ? Definitively yes Nice shots !
You forgot the DA 560mm F5.6

1. FF Mode • 200 ISO • Pentax DA* 200mm F2.8 ED SDM • Kenko Pz-AF UniPlus Tube 25

2. FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM • Kenko Pz-AF UniPlus Tube 25 • Metz Flash 52 AF-1 Digital with Ray-Flash universal L ring adapter

3. Crop Mode • 1600 ISO • HD Pentax DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW

4. FF Mode • 100 ISO • Sigma Art 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM

---------- Post added 18-08-16 at 19:55 ----------

Won't be long until this curious little troublemaker is on to the scent of peanut butter and roasted peanuts!
Or looking under Mrs Rupert's dress
08-18-2016, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #3352

Thanks, that is very helpful info. Ron over on the other forum offered me that exact Sigma 400 tele macro with the larger front element, but he suddenly passed away before I could buy it. There was some question in his mind as to weather it would work on a K-1, software wise, but I take it yours works fine? Ron spoke highly of that lens. Now I'm doubly sad, that Ron passed, and that I missed the lens...
Eric

Yes this Sigma 400mm F5.6 APO (AF) will work fine with any Pentax. AF is screw driven. Make sure you are looking at the same lens since Sigma has some variations of that lens. You want this lens .

Sigma 400mm F5.6 APO (AF) Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

If you don't mind manual focus then Pentax SMC A 400mm f/5.6 is an awesome lens. Super sharp, minimum focusing distance only 2.8m (9.18 feet)..which is very rare for this focal length.
Here is my review on this lens.

SMC Pentax-A 400mm F5.6 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

08-18-2016, 11:34 AM - 3 Likes   #3353
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes this Sigma 400mm F5.6 APO (AF) will work fine with any Pentax. AF is screw driven. Make sure you are looking at the same lens since Sigma has some variations of that lens. You want this lens .

Sigma 400mm F5.6 APO (AF) Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

If you don't mind manual focus then Pentax SMC A 400mm f/5.6 is an awesome lens. Super sharp, minimum focusing distance only 2.8m (9.18 feet)..which is very rare for this focal length.
Here is my review on this lens.

SMC Pentax-A 400mm F5.6 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Cleaverx, Once again, great info, just what I needed to know! Thanks! Yeah, my budget isn't what it used to be in the old days... less $$ to blow on toys. :-( So I'll be looking for a deal. That is one reason I kinda thought the Bigma was a contender, I've seen used ones reasonable now and then, and it covers multiple focal ranges. A manual focus 400mm would be the cat's pajama's, for the right price. I have a SMC Tak 300mm M42... which is plenty sharp, but the CA & flare makes it look un-sharp unless you are very very careful. I had to send it to Eric to get infinity to work too... I'll prolly sell it to recoup funds toward something more along the lines of what I want for wildlife, etc.

Time to post a pic to keep the thread on topic!

In the weeds. Same Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD [IF] Macro + Tamron 1.4x ƒ/8.0 200.0 mm 1/180 iso 400
08-18-2016, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #3354
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Yes, they do that at every opportunity. Here is a little pervert practicing his skills at looking up a girls dress.....sick little rodents!

Nice shots in that set FS......I even like the last one, it looks delicious! Neat little birdie shot...did he come clean?

Well, my peanut butter and peanuts on the top of the page was a total failure today. Lazy squirrels were out drinking beer and fell asleep. Along came the Jays and ate every peanut and all the peanut butter....stripped the branches clean.

I told this little troublemaker squirrel all about it and here he is investigating the "crime scene". He swore an oath to track down the filthy Jays that got his stash.

He said he picked up a "fowl" scent at the scene of the theft...

Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 08-18-2016 at 06:39 PM.
08-18-2016, 06:50 PM   #3355
Pentaxian

That one is my favorite. Very attractive
08-18-2016, 07:15 PM   #3356
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1. FF Mode • 200 ISO • Pentax DA* 200mm F2.8 ED SDM • Kenko Pz-AF UniPlus Tube 25
The first flower is a really pretty image.
08-18-2016, 08:36 PM   #3357
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Eric !

Not even mounting a macro lens, like me ! Actually is the 18-35 a macro lens ? Definitively yes Nice shots !

You forgot the DA 560mm F5.6

2. FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM • Kenko Pz-AF UniPlus Tube 25 • Metz Flash 52 AF-1 Digital with Ray-Flash universal L ring adapter

3. Crop Mode • 1600 ISO • HD Pentax DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW

---------- Post added 18-08-16 at 19:55 ----------

These are truly terrific, FS, the bird bath especially is breathtaking.
08-18-2016, 11:52 PM - 8 Likes   #3358
Pentaxian

Last edited by LeRolls; 08-19-2016 at 12:23 AM.
08-19-2016, 12:56 AM   #3359
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots in that set FS......I even like the last one, it looks delicious! Neat little birdie shot...did he come clean?
Thank you Rupert ! Totally wet, but totally clean
Nick Squirrelton is investigating !

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
That one is my favorite. Very attractive
Thank you micromacro !

The first flower is a really pretty image.
Thank you WPRESTO !

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
These are truly terrific, FS, the bird bath especially is breathtaking.
Thank you jva59 !
08-19-2016, 03:50 AM - 5 Likes   #3360
Veteran Member

Sigma 24-70mm IF EX DG HSM

Flower Towers

Tamron 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di

Goin' Fishin'

Sigma 100-300mm F/4

Flying Foxes