Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150657 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2016, 10:41 AM   #3601
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Thank you ! Yes from 1960's and 1970's I think. Made from an unknown Japanese company for American Allied Impex Corporation and branded Soligor. On ebay.de you can still find 2-3 per year.

4. Crop Mode • 100 ISO • Sigma Art 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Again, the color and detail in the last image are really wonderful.
BTW: I remember Soligor-branded lenses when they were new. We (= me + photobuddies) regarded them "bargains" that you bought only because you could not afford something else. In retrospect, both Soligor and Spiratone imported and sold under their own name some clunkers, but some lenses that were "hidden gems*."

From Spiratone: a 400mm f6.3; possibly the Russian 500mm f8 MTO mirror lens (about as good as any 500mm mirror excepting the Zeiss Mirotar); and the "pluracoat" 20mm f2.8.

08-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #3602
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Rupert, the Pentax D FA 28-105 is a great lens. It is my walking around lens on my K1. Similar range as your 17-105 in crop mode.
I will for sure check out that lens! Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
FWIW, We celebrated my father in laws 97th birthday on August 20.
Congratulations to him.....My Grandad lived to be just short of his 98th birthday and had a sound mind and a valid drivers license. Like my Mom, some make it well into their 90s with good health and full capabilities.

Regards!
08-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #3603
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by geko5766 Quote
Hi ,

thanks for the hint. Now I got it.
Your shots are pretty amazing too.

Best from Germany
Georg
Thank you !
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Again, the color and detail in the last image are really wonderful.
BTW: I remember Soligor-branded lenses when they were new. We (= me + photobuddies) regarded them "bargains" that you bought only because you could not afford something else. In retrospect, both Soligor and Spiratone imported and sold under their own name some clunkers, but some lenses that were "hidden gems*."

From Spiratone: a 400mm f6.3; possibly the Russian 500mm f8 MTO mirror lens (about as good as any 500mm mirror excepting the Zeiss Mirotar); and the "pluracoat" 20mm f2.8.
Thank you ! I also have the heavy 135mm F1.8. Did I mention "heavy" ?
08-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #3604

K1 and 31 lim

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-28-2016, 02:50 PM - 4 Likes   #3605
Veteran Member

Trials I | Mike Parry | Flickr
08-28-2016, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #3606
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't think that this barn is still being used for any agricultural purpose.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-28-2016, 03:40 PM   #3607
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
@LeRolls - Squirrels love it! A girl that smokes often needs a good stiff drink too...and then some dancing...and then..and then....

Very nice shot, well done!

@ranchy - They also love a girl in a short dress that lets their legs "breathe". Your girl keeps catching the eye of Otis Squirrel so he found you plenty worthy for upgrade to Site Supporter, with the corresponding benefits afforded. He encourages you to keep up the fine artwork you provide to us all...and all the little anxious squirrel viewers too! Congratulations!

Otis also reminds....Donate when you can to help keep this great site going strong.....donate for a friend or a worthy shooter that could use a little boost.....Otis can't do it all by himself!

Regards!

Now on to my question of the day....
I shot my K1 at my Mom's big huge 90th Birthday Party yesterday and used a Sigma 17-70 APS-C lens in crop mode. The shots were mostly decent but lacked the pop of better optics. This is a good range and I could use a new FF lens in or around this range. Does anyone have any suggestions and any examples to point me to? I will surely appreciate the advice!

One that worked pretty well...

My great nephew on the left and my youngest grandson on the right...he's named after me and is a genuine "Rupert Type"!

Another that was "acceptable"

My oldest son and wife...Mrs Rupert on the left.

I just think there must be something in this range that gives more pop and definition? Or maybe I just need some lessons in shooting people?

Regards!
Nice shots.....I can see some cheeky Rupert genes in your grand son!

As far as a lens goes for shooting people, I reckon you should give some consideration to a FA43. It is just gorgeous on the K-1, is just a bit quirky and saves one having to think about zooming (brain has enough to think about these days.... like heartbeats, breathing etc!). It would look really impressive next to the bigma as well.

Last edited by noelpolar; 08-28-2016 at 03:51 PM.
08-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #3608
Veteran Member

I will for sure check out that lens!
+1 for the D FA 28-105. It's sharp, it's relatively light and compact, the focal range is very handy for people events, and the AF is fast and quiet. Works very well with the K-1.
08-28-2016, 04:00 PM   #3609
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I reckon you should give some consideration to a FA43.
I had the 43Ltd...got some sort of brain spasm and sold it.....now I am so sorry. Superb lens!

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
+1 for the D FA 28-105. It's sharp, it's relatively light and compact, the focal range is very handy for people events, and the AF is fast and quiet. Works very well with the K-1.
Yes, I am definitely exploring this lens!

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Nice shots.....I can see some cheeky Rupert genes in your grand son!
Thanks, yes he does have mischievous genes! The shots were not all that good.....more like snapshots but they will make memories!

Thanks for your advice/response guys!
Regards!
08-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #3610
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A lucky find taking the dog for a walk today. K1+ the new 28-105 walkabout:

The owl even let me get close walking off trail:

Huge respect for those who shoot birds! I got one blurry shot of this owl today.
08-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #3611
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
A pair of Red-backed Fairy-wrens, female on top and male below. Ipswich, Queensland, Australia. K-1 with Sigma 500 f4.5 APO DG EX, Metz 58AF-2 flash and Better Beamer FX-3. Manual mode, 1/500th, f10, ISO 1000.
Excellent composition on that shot for such jittery birds!
08-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #3612
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Grass, something to photograph when insects are uncooperative.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-28-2016, 07:06 PM   #3613
Veteran Member

@ranchy - They also love a girl in a short dress that lets their legs "breathe". Your girl keeps catching the eye of Otis Squirrel so he found you plenty worthy for upgrade to Site Supporter, with the corresponding benefits afforded. He encourages you to keep up the fine artwork you provide to us all...and all the little anxious squirrel viewers too! Congratulations!

Otis also reminds....Donate when you can to help keep this great site going strong.....donate for a friend or a worthy shooter that could use a little boost.....Otis can't do it all by himself!

Regards!

Now on to my question of the day....
I shot my K1 at my Mom's big huge 90th Birthday Party yesterday and used a Sigma 17-70 APS-C lens in crop mode. The shots were mostly decent but lacked the pop of better optics. This is a good range and I could use a new FF lens in or around this range. Does anyone have any suggestions and any examples to point me to? I will surely appreciate the advice!

One that worked pretty well...

My great nephew on the left and my youngest grandson on the right...he's named after me and is a genuine "Rupert Type"!

Another that was "acceptable"

My oldest son and wife...Mrs Rupert on the left.

I just think there must be something in this range that gives more pop and definition? Or maybe I just need some lessons in shooting people?

Regards!
Omg.. many thanks Rupert and Otis for the upgrading me to site supporter!

Actually, your shots posted does have some pop out feel.

1st picture has more of it.. My guess is the 1st shot is at 70mm and with a clear background, it can achieve more out of focus with the depth of field.
But for group pictures, if using a wide open aperture, it can easily make the group photo subject out of focus.

To me a cheap Tamron 28-75 is worth it if one does not want to spend on the new DFA24-70 .
08-28-2016, 07:41 PM - 6 Likes   #3614

Last few days I am trying to get some flying Barn Owls shots. It is a miles of walking to find them and then hoping that
will fly the right direction, not too far, light conditions, exposure etc.
I got some today. There was this Barn Owl fighting with Northern Harrier. After little skirmish owl resumed hunting not too far front of me.
Flying directly over my head.
I was testing how K-1 with DA 55-300mm WR would works and it worked well. I was shooting in "Crop Mode" to keep shutter frame rates up.

Barn Owl hunting

08-28-2016, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #3615
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Doh!

A series of images from an MX race yesterday. The 'Doh!" in the Title is related to me and what I did at the time.

Due to the small buffer and the AF not always locking on correctly I've gotten into the habit of taking 2-3 images in Continuous High, checking focus and taking another couple which is what I did here. Unfortunately I realised too late that the important image was number three which I didn't capture as I was confiming focus.
If I'd just let the shutter run and trusted the AF then I would have captured at least six images before I ran across the boof head jumping around in the right of frame of the last 2 images. Ah well, such is life. Speaking of life, one of the event photographers was actually over the back of this berm taking images of bikes on another corner. The bike missed him but it wouldn't have been by much.

Images are SOOC, so the only PP is the LR6 default for importing K-1 images.

Tas

---------- Post added 08-29-16 at 12:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cleaverx Quote
Last few days I am trying to get some flying Barn Owls shots. It is a miles of walking to find them and then hoping that
will fly the right direction, not too far, light conditions, exposure etc.
I got some today. There was this Barn Owl fighting with Northern Harrier. After little skirmish owl resumed hunting not too far front of me.
Flying directly over my head.
I was testing how K-1 with DA 55-300mm WR would works and it worked well. I was shooting in "Crop Mode" to keep shutter frame rates up.

Barn Owl hunting

Excellent work. It's good when things go you way, but it's never only luck when you're in the right place with the right equipment.

Tas
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
« k1 vs k1ii | - »