Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2016, 11:25 PM - 6 Likes   #3901
Pentaxian

09-08-2016, 11:28 PM - 1 Like   #3902
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

@LeRolls - wow... just wow. The lighting, background and water rippling in that first shot are fantastic. Beautiful work, as always
09-09-2016, 02:25 AM   #3903
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
No harm intended but can somebody please post a regular picture as an attachment instead of a link. Non-owners need not post....
I have difficulty understanding your post. Please clarify.
09-09-2016, 03:20 AM - 10 Likes   #3904
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been playing with a few short(ish) telephoto landscapes -the detail (here coupled with the D-FA 70-200 f/2.8), is stunning - click through on Flickr to see what I mean - a bit of Blackmore Vale, Dorset, England

Last edited by ffking; 09-09-2016 at 06:37 AM.
09-09-2016, 03:32 AM   #3905
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I have difficulty understanding your post. Please clarify.
+1 ^^

I didn't ask cause maybe it was clear to others or I have missed something that was written earlier...
09-09-2016, 03:51 AM   #3906

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Thanks so much! To be honest, I don't think I do anything special, I don't even work in layers or do half the stuff I see people write about. Here is my process, maybe I am not alone...

1) shoot at -.3 ev in raw plus jpg to second card. Only use jpg for emergency backup. I'd shoot raw plus raw but I don't want to sacrifice the write speed.
2) I use adobe acr as the front end to photoshop, and pentax dcu only on the occasional pixel shift photo.
3) I do as much tweaking as i possibly can in ACR. Set lens profile, tweak levels, basic sharpening and noise reduction done here if needed. I tend to expose for saving highlights and push shadows when needed. The ACR auto setting is usually useless in high contrast or tricky lighting and tends to over expose, so it's only good for taking an experimental peek, then undo it and do your own thing. The FX tab has a remove haze slider which is another effective way to tweak micro contrast and not as harsh as the clarity slider.
4) save to max quality 12 jpg. In new jpg folder.
5) pull up jpg in photoshop and crop to taste then resize for web, this is where i will apply final unsharp mask while viewing at 300% to make sure maximum sharpness but back off when artifacts and halos begin to show. Done.

One thing I do to speed things along is I highlight and open multiple files I know were shot with the same lens in same light at same time in Photoshop, which brings them all up in ACR. Then in ACR, at the top i hit select all. Then I go through the tabs and set my lens profile, noise reduction levels, basic sharpening, etc. then Unselect all, then work on them one at at time as stated above to tweak them as they might individually need. Saves a lot of time.

It may sound like a lot of work, but it really goes rather quickly once you get a routine down pat. Especially if you shoot a decent image to start with that doesnt need much tweaking. I don't waste time on stinkers or multiples of the same image, it's never worth the effort or disk space, I use the trash can symbol on stinkers and dupes in ACR and let them get deleted at the time I save to jpg.

I am really a hack compared to the masters on this forum, but hope that helps,
Eric
Hi Eric thank you for the detailed response. Sometimes the most straight forward workflows yield the best results, this definately helps!
09-09-2016, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #3907
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
...willing to pose naked. When I told them I wanted to wrap them in bacon for a special event in another thread, all but one refused and walked away.
I knew it would happen one day, you have gone off your rocker. But there is nothing to fear you'll be O.K.
Madness and Genius are born from the same family.

But you need to examine the reason for your failure. I think you simply chose the wrong bacon, probably the cheap rindless variety from the supermarket. (Probably past its use-by date) You must get the real quality stuff from a real butcher. And you need an experienced "wrapper" otherwise you will fail. I can help out here, I am an expert bacon wrapper. Just let me know when you need me.

Cheers

09-09-2016, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #3908
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I knew it would happen one day, you have gone off your rocker.
Actually, I think it happened early in my life....real early! Anyhow, that's what my Mom says.

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I think you simply chose the wrong bacon
My new plan is to use bacon grease instead of bacon.....I'm liking this idea already! Hoping LeRolls will steal this idea from me?

Regards!
09-09-2016, 05:49 AM - 6 Likes   #3909
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sunrise with DFA 15-30

09-09-2016, 05:59 AM   #3910
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The old film Sigma 24mm/2.8 tried out on the K1, seems sharp corner to corner.

f8@250
09-09-2016, 06:48 AM   #3911
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
The old film Sigma 24mm/2.8 tried out on the K1, seems sharp corner to corner.

f8@250

That is a good sample there Arnold. I have seen conflicting reports on that lens (is yours the SuperWide or SuperWide II? I wasn't sure if the non II was available in AF...)

Some people report as you do, that it is sharp corner to corner, others say it's a flare monster and soft wide open, and I wondered if it was just the difference in model number, the whole series or peoples shooting styles.

Your pic is at F8... have you tried it in other situations where the sun is coming cross wise or closer to the element, or at f2.8 yet? Just curious, Thanks!
Eric
09-09-2016, 07:12 AM - 11 Likes   #3912
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clearing storm clouds illuminated at Sunset. Peanut Lake, Crested Butte, CO, July 2016.

-Brandon
09-09-2016, 07:27 AM   #3913
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bpv_UW Quote

Clearing storm clouds illuminated at Sunset. Peanut Lake, Crested Butte, CO, July 2016.

-Brandon
Awesome shot!
09-09-2016, 07:59 AM - 3 Likes   #3914
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Karwendel - Alpes

Both 140mm - DFA100WR plus TC DA1.4x
09-09-2016, 08:00 AM   #3915
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bpv_UW Quote

-Brandon

Awesome Brandon! And well worth clicking through to see the larger photo on flickr too!
Eric

---------- Post added 09-09-16 at 11:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sunrise with DFA 15-30

Another great sunrise Vincent! It looks like you are warming up to that DFA 15-30 almost as much as you liked the DA15 ???

---------- Post added 09-09-16 at 11:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Karwendel - Alpes

Both 140mm - DFA100WR plus TC DA1.4x

That second shot does it for me, love the cloud layers.
Eric