Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150762 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2017, 06:02 AM - 2 Likes   #11191
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Big Day Today! Everyone that can is watching the solar eclipse. I'm not taking any chances with my eyes, but I popped a bunch of corn and iced down several cases of beer for the blind orphan squirrels..... if they will watch it and tell me all about it!

"I can smell that popcorn!"

Regards!

08-21-2017, 06:19 AM   #11192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Thank you!!

(There is option for sharing a photo at Flikcr that you can copy bb code, you copy that at here and you get tgat link
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
What I do is go to Flickr, open the picture in a new tab and press the share arrow (lower right). A pop up menu appears and I go to BBCode tab, select the size that I want, copy the code (it's already selected by default) and paste it directly into my message without adding anything else. I put a screenshot below.

I think Flickr policy requires you to link the images back to Flickr anyway.
Ah... you'll laugh here, but that's kinda what i do anyway, but i use the insert picture tool and delete everything in the bb code other than the http...jpg link part. I think i did this because perhaps in other forums elsewhere or something it just dumps a heap of text with your image... I'll try this method from now on. Ta!
08-21-2017, 07:11 AM - 3 Likes   #11193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
What a great idea and thoses pics are awesome Franc!
haha ! I think his eyes are even more frightening !
If you think his eye's are scary open, well, they don't get much better when they are closed! Natural camouflage to keep you guessing...

Pentax K-1 smc PENTAX-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM ƒ/6.3 300.0 mm 1/400 iso160
08-21-2017, 09:28 AM - 23 Likes   #11194
Site Supporter

Just came back from Switzerland. Such a beautiful country!

Shot with the 15-30mm @ 15mm

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-21-2017, 10:30 AM - 10 Likes   #11195
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some amazing shot.

This is a shot with the DFA 15-30. A lot has been made of its inability to take screw in filters, but this is an example of what happens when you do multiple exposures, averaged in the camera. This is 25, but you could do a few more if you needed.

08-21-2017, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #11196
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
People photography with Pentax DFA*85
What a beautiful landscape ;-)

---------- Post added 21-08-17 at 19:43 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
example of what happens when you do multiple exposures, averaged in the camera. This is 25, but you could do a few more if you needed.
Good idea, yes. Thanks for sharing. The think is, when you do multiexposures, do you stack in post , or do you use the camera composite mode. Because unlike in HDR mode, there isn't any autoalign option for image composite and that's the problem I have when stacking, even if I use the IR remote to trigger each shot, there is always a bit of motion between frames due to the shutter / mirror slightly moving the system at each frame. Not to mention, if I forget my IR remote control device, pressing the shutter manually simply moves the camera so stacking the frames without alignment is nearly wasted.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-21-2017 at 10:48 AM.
08-21-2017, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #11197
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What a beautiful landscape ;-)

---------- Post added 21-08-17 at 19:43 ----------

Good idea, yes. Thanks for sharing. The think is, when you do multiexposures, do you stack in post , or do you use the camera composite mode. Because unlike in HDR mode, there isn't any autoalign option for image composite and that's the problem I have when stacking, even if I use the IR remote to trigger each shot, there is always a bit of motion between frames due to the shutter / mirror slightly moving the system at each frame. Not to mention, if I forget my IR remote control device, pressing the shutter manually simply moves the camera so stacking the frames without alignment is nearly wasted.
I used the composite feature in camera. I was on a tripod and used a remote trigger to get the series started. I believe you can use your phone as well if you have the image sync app installed. It seemed to work fairly well, although certainly it has certain qualifications needed (the same is true for using a long exposure with ND filter). I would think if you had no other option, you could use the 3 second self timer to start the series as well.

08-21-2017, 11:26 AM - 3 Likes   #11198
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by versatile Quote

Wow !

1. FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA* 200mm F2.8 ED SDM • Kenko Pz-AF UniPlus Tube 25

2. FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA* 200mm F2.8 ED SDM • Kenko Pz-AF UniPlus Tube 25

3. FF Mode • 400 ISO • Irix Blackstone 15mm F2.4 • Handheld DRI 2 photos (-3, -1 EV) blended with Corel PaintShop Pro 2018
Bergholtz-Zell • Haut-Rhin • Alsace

4. FF Mode • 100 ISO • Tokina AT-X AF 28-70mm f:2.8
Écomusée d'Alsace • Ungersheim • Haut-Rhin • Alsace • France
08-21-2017, 11:34 AM - 16 Likes   #11199
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Am I the first?

Total Eclipse:

First Light:

Pentax K-1, SMC Pentax-DA 18-270mm f3.5-6.3
08-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #11200
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Am I the first?

Total Eclipse:

First Light:

Pentax K-1, SMC Pentax-DA 18-270mm f3.5-6.3
Great shots. Where were you? I didn't think it was supposed to be over Arizona very much.
08-21-2017, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #11201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Patriot Quote
Bob thank you, you always find pleasant words for my works!!!
As a regular visitor of this thread, I guess that I should be more verbose, it's always great to get a nice word for our work. I'm only clicking on "Like the post", but it basically mean that the shot(s) is sooo pleasant to look at and well executed and/or just stunning. Your shots belongs to second category for sure.

---------- Post added 21-08-17 at 20:36 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by versatile Quote

Just an amazing shot !
08-21-2017, 12:51 PM   #11202
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great shots. Where were you? I didn't think it was supposed to be over Arizona very much.
I am in Salem, Oregon today.
08-21-2017, 01:04 PM   #11203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used the composite feature in camera. I was on a tripod and used a remote trigger to get the series started. I believe you can use your phone as well if you have the image sync app installed. It seemed to work fairly well, although certainly it has certain qualifications needed (the same is true for using a long exposure with ND filter). I would think if you had no other option, you could use the 3 second self timer to start the series as well.
With these shots (25 you say), this looks very evident from the sky, but did you PP in PS or something and keep a single frame for just the things you wanted static like the trees and grass? Or was it just a very still day? The clouds in my mind look like the only thing 'long exposed' unless perhaps the water is too but just wasn't 'movey' lol.

I haven't used Composite mode much with my K-1, perhaps due to having ND filters of my own. I did wonder however if there was a better way to approach the Bracketing feature. You see, often when I am snapping I have my two kids with me, things can get a bit distracting, and I can even forget which frame of which I am up to snapping! (like 4/5 etc). I can't see any info on the LCD Info screen to tell me which number of 5 of bracketing the camera is up to, and I find it a little odd that you have to manually (even with a remote), shoot each shot. Shouldn't bracketing just be automatic so that shot 2,3,4 and 5 just take place after shot 1? There's probably a setting I need to tinker with to make it work like this...

I'll defo have to look into this more, just looking at the Info parameters for Composite mode, Average, Bright and Additive... have no idea what they refer too

PS: I asked this on your flickr page too, but I'll ask here as well (no need to reply twice in two different places
08-21-2017, 01:10 PM - 15 Likes   #11204
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote

1. FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA* 200mm F2.8 ED SDM • Kenko Pz-AF UniPlus Tube 25

2. FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA* 200mm F2.8 ED SDM • Kenko Pz-AF UniPlus Tube 25

3. FF Mode • 400 ISO • Irix Blackstone 15mm F2.4 • Handheld DRI 2 photos (-3, -1 EV) blended with Corel PaintShop Pro 2018
Bergholtz-Zell • Haut-Rhin • Alsace

4. FF Mode • 100 ISO • Tokina AT-X AF 28-70mm f:2.8
Écomusée d'Alsace • Ungersheim • Haut-Rhin • Alsace • France
Love the Makro shots! And the one shot with the Irix looks beautiful too, also seems to be very sharp. Are you satisfied with it?

QuoteOriginally posted by Ariis:
Just an amazing shot!
Thank you =)

Just finished processing another one, this time stacked to get the foreground sharp. The Matterhorn was lit by the moon, so the milkyway isn't as clear as on my other photo. But honestly, the best part about those pictures was living the moment under all those stars. I always cherish those calm moments in nature =)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-21-2017, 01:46 PM - 2 Likes   #11205
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
With these shots (25 you say), this looks very evident from the sky, but did you PP in PS or something and keep a single frame for just the things you wanted static like the trees and grass? Or was it just a very still day? The clouds in my mind look like the only thing 'long exposed' unless perhaps the water is too but just wasn't 'movey' lol.

I haven't used Composite mode much with my K-1, perhaps due to having ND filters of my own. I did wonder however if there was a better way to approach the Bracketing feature. You see, often when I am snapping I have my two kids with me, things can get a bit distracting, and I can even forget which frame of which I am up to snapping! (like 4/5 etc). I can't see any info on the LCD Info screen to tell me which number of 5 of bracketing the camera is up to, and I find it a little odd that you have to manually (even with a remote), shoot each shot. Shouldn't bracketing just be automatic so that shot 2,3,4 and 5 just take place after shot 1? There's probably a setting I need to tinker with to make it work like this...

I'll defo have to look into this more, just looking at the Info parameters for Composite mode, Average, Bright and Additive... have no idea what they refer too

PS: I asked this on your flickr page too, but I'll ask here as well (no need to reply twice in two different places
Just to summarize, I used the average mode and set it to 25 images 1 second intervals.

I did no post processing to the image, other than bumping the shadows a little bit and doing a little sharpening. The foliage was as it was in the last shot of the series. I don't know that it would work very well if it was a really windy day, but long exposures and wind don't always work well together either.

As for the bracketing, just set your camera for one shot bracketing in the menus and you won't have to keep track any more.