Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150735 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #11761
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Which version do you guys prefer and general thoughts on the image would also be appreciated.

Yep, I like the first one too. The light leak looks a tad too overstated to me.

09-17-2017, 06:16 PM - 2 Likes   #11762
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Me & my shadow
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
09-17-2017, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #11763
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
more comments

pinholecam, that is a totally gorgeous photo, the couples position in stride, her hand holding the flower back, the color of the trees, them walking in to the sun rays, excellent composition & very beautiful.
Hattifnatt, those are superb sunset shots.
LeRolls, I prefer the first version; the effects of the second are kinda neat but I think distracting; the overall composition is OK but not great; that girl is a stunning model and IMHO a different setting would do her & the image more justice.
Frederic, fantastic set, especially the farm girl. Seems to be a run on water droplet shots recently, which are really nice, I like them.
DimC, nice set taken with the FA 20-35.
normhead, excellent forest photos. Love the mushroom shots, in particular the first shot, wish I could find some that nice, I will keep hunting.
Best Regards, Bob
09-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #11764
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
To me, the skills picked up along the way of my photographic journey has always been a loop.
Shoot the Family picts, to get better to apply them on other subjects, then re-apply that to shoot better Family shots .... repeat...
One thing I've learned over these last 3-4 years is that experience is experience. The more you get the better photographer you become. That's why I try to shoot as much as I can. There's always more to learn and try. Nice shot BTW.

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I like the light leak on the second one, makes it a cool postcard true Americana
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Object. I find the light leak looking like a mistake. I cannot see that it adds anything positive to the story or mood of the image.
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Agree with the "mistake" look. The addition is too straight up-and-down, which does not match the flow of the image. Perhaps reshaping an effect to blend with that flow would work better. The colors don't seem to fit well either.

The straight-forward 1st image wins out for me.
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
I prefer the first one. The left edge and that house in the background balance each other out. Adding the light leak makes the big white house dominant. Maybe there is also some room for brightening the subject?
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
The second one !
QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Second one with the light leak is killing IMHO.
I would delete the "holes" in the ground in front of the model, it is distracting to me, thoses behind her are great Power lines though.
Great picture !
OK so it's a tie so far.

Took out the holes in front BTW. Thanks for feedback guys!

09-17-2017, 08:45 PM   #11765
Veteran Member

Which version do you guys prefer and general thoughts on the image would also be appreciated.

Its hard to decide, i think if the light leak was dialed back a little id pick that one, so with that it mind i pick the first one.

09-17-2017, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #11766
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me the best version probably lies somewhere between the two. I can see why you tried to slightly 'enhance' the first image by introducing the light leak, however the second image feels as tho said light leak is a bit over powering and possibly 'too vertically perfect', which might add to the 'fakeness' leading doubt to its authenticity.

Here's a shot from yesterdays 'Science at the Local' (a little community initiative I'm part of).

Here we see Alessandro Tuniz giving a talk about his thesis “Metamaterial fibres for invisibility, hyperlensing and artical magnetism: fabrication, characterisation and theory" which was awarded the School of Physics Postgraduate Alumni Prize for Best Physics PhD Thesis at the University of Sydney in 2013.
09-17-2017, 11:15 PM - 2 Likes   #11767
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sunset at Goblin Valley, Utah

09-18-2017, 12:28 AM - 2 Likes   #11768
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Three blossoms from our garden

Caught in the late magic light hours . . .

KIT: K-1 with adapted Pentax 67 55mm f 4.0.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
09-18-2017, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #11769
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Off topic, but Has something changed in PF about image compression ? I use the same settings since about a year (Jpeg 800px / quality in Lr = 62) but since about a couple weeks I have the impression every images I post are overly compressed with great details lost.
What are you guys settings ?
I don't know, I use Flickr so I'm sure my photos are ok...

Thank you Bob !
09-18-2017, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #11770
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like both, but 1 wins out because the effect is a little too strong for me on 2.
Also might be worth cleaning up the red blotches on her palm above the tat. They dont look natural, or like she leaned on something red

Pretty girl and nice shot.

09-18-2017, 05:34 AM - 2 Likes   #11771
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Autumn is Coming! (with DA *55)

09-18-2017, 06:57 AM - 4 Likes   #11772

Pentax K-1 + HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR

You can view 100% zoom preview at:

Uplift by Tgchan

Obsolete by tgchan

09-18-2017, 07:04 AM - 8 Likes   #11773
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
I like both, but 1 wins out because the effect is a little too strong for me on 2.
Also might be worth cleaning up the red blotches on her palm above the tat. They dont look natural, or like she leaned on something red

Pretty girl and nice shot.
Thanks. Red blotches on hand fixed.

OK so I took everyone's thoughts/opinions into consideration including some other local photographers and I came up with this version that I think I'm pretty happy with. I toned down the light leak and made little fixes here and there. It was funny because when I asked guys they were pretty 50/50 on which version they preferred many saying that they thought the light leak was a little too strong. For women they all chose the light leak version immediately without hesitation.

Either way I appreciate everyone's input. I think it was quite beneficial in the end. I should probably do this more often!

Last edited by LeRolls; 09-18-2017 at 09:35 AM.
09-18-2017, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #11774
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK so I took everyone's thoughts/opinions into consideration including some other local photographers and I came up with this version that I think I'm pretty happy with. I toned down the light leak and made little fixes here and there. It was funny because when I asked guys they were pretty 50/50 on which version they preferred many saying that they thought the light leak was a little too strong. For women they all chose the light leak version immediately without hesitation.

Either way I appreciate everyone's input. I think it was quite beneficial in the end. I should probably do this more often!
Ding ding ding! I think we have a winner. This latest edit works nicely.
Eric
09-18-2017, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #11775
Pentaxian

IMHO the women are always right.