Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2017, 05:43 AM - 4 Likes   #12361
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Pine Cone and Bokeh

Land and Round Bales.

(both with DA *55)

10-17-2017, 06:37 AM - 10 Likes   #12362
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Been really enjoying your Havana shots!
QuoteOriginally posted by jabobby Quote
Hattifnatt, As others have posted...your Havana series has been most enjoyable, very nice work.
Thank you both. Glad that you like this series, there is still more to come.

When I visited Havana, I didn't want to limit myself to the usual tourist attractions and the (mostly) well restored historic quarter. So I just plunged randomly into the streets, away from the old town, trying to find the real Havana, and it was a soul-crushing experience at times. Definitely the most peculiar and haunting city that I have ever seen, Havana offers a punishing ride, equally beautiful and horrible, and often at the same time.

Last edited by Hattifnatt; 10-17-2017 at 06:43 AM.
10-17-2017, 07:39 AM - 3 Likes   #12363
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eric, awesome yeeeeelllloooww, awesome IQ.
Best Regards, Bob
Thanks much Bob! Was playing with a new soft bonnet attachment for my AF360 flash... I am curious, was the flash obvious before I told you? (on the first shot, not the second, that was just a snap to show the bud)

I haven't shot macro w/flash in a long time, I forgot how handy it can be in the right situations. Even with the soft box, if the surface has any shiny reflective area's, I don't think there is a "soft enough" soft box out there, at least not for macro distances.

There is a dirt cheap LED macro light attachment out there that looks like a pair of My Favorite Martian antennae with small LED disks at the ends you can position because it flexes. It's sold under several generic names, dirt cheap. Everyone who comments on it thinks it will be awful because LED should be pretty weak compared to flash, but I'm tempted to try one to see how it compares to a full on flash with soft box, just for shadow fill duty. I dunno, I like the bonnet so far, it works well in the right situations, but it never hurts to try new stuff.

Eric

---------- Post added 10-17-17 at 10:47 AM ----------

Head's up!

Pentax K-1 smc PENTAX-D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8 WR ƒ/11.0 100.0 mm 1/200 iso100
10-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #12364
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Thank you both. Glad that you like this series, there is still more to come.

When I visited Havana, I didn't want to limit myself to the usual tourist attractions and the (mostly) well restored historic quarter. So I just plunged randomly into the streets, away from the old town, trying to find the real Havana, and it was a soul-crushing experience at times. Definitely the most peculiar and haunting city that I have ever seen, Havana offers a punishing ride, equally beautiful and horrible, and often at the same time.

Good for you. That's the best way to see a foreign place, warts and all! Looking forward to more as well.

10-17-2017, 10:42 AM - 3 Likes   #12365
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
I haven't shot macro w/flash in a long time, I forgot how handy it can be in the right situations. Even with the soft box, if the surface has any shiny reflective area's, I don't think there is a "soft enough" soft box out there, at least not for macro distances.
This is the one I use :

1. FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA* 200mm F2.8 ED SDM

2. FF Mode • 100 ISO • Irix Blackstone 15mm F2.4 • Topaz Labs Texture Effects 2

3. FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA* 200mm F2.8 ED SDM
10-17-2017, 12:58 PM - 6 Likes   #12366
Veteran Member

This guy had a flaming whip. The colors and design were really amazing.
Shutter speed was usually pretty slow, about 0.3s and ISO only about 640-1600 since these generally gave off more light than some other items like the hoola-hoop or poi balls.
I preferred to get the blue color, so opted to allow the brighter areas to burn out. Although I think in Lightroom I probably could have recovered and colored the darker blues a bit and saved the brighter flames with a lower ISO. :-(

10-17-2017, 01:32 PM - 6 Likes   #12367
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Street Painter

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 10-17-2017 at 01:49 PM.
10-17-2017, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #12368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
This is the one I use :
Yeah, I still have an old Lumiquest just like yours, but the new one I was playing with is much smaller. The larger boxes are probably better, but if they are so big that I leave them home, it doesn't help me much. That, and I didn't like the balance with the weight of the Lumiquest on the flash.

Mine is like this one. On mine, the upper surface on the inner surface is silver foiled, so if you tilt the flash up, you can bounce down through the diffuser also.

I guess it's supposed to mimic the effect of a Gary Fong light sphere or similar.
10-17-2017, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #12369
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
I am curious, was the flash obvious before I told you? (on the first shot, not the second, that was just a snap to show the bud)

I find flash in the first picture subtle and soft enough. Of course there is an obvious fall-off to the background, but it highlights your main subject just enough. One revealing part is the double shadow of the stamen. Similar to other situations, for "soft enough" the key is to bring the light source really close so that you cover a wide angle. A lot of insects are notoriously reflective, so e.g. for Pollinators in action - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com, I used a 43cm (19") circular diffusor around and flush with the D-FA100 WR's hood. Sometimes use the K-1 with one hand, holding a flash-in-umbrella assembly in the other to get soft enough light.

Back to K-1 pictures - Fall colours on Lofoten:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-17-2017, 02:51 PM - 2 Likes   #12370
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Frighteningly Ugly People

10-17-2017, 02:51 PM - 4 Likes   #12371
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Behind You!!!

10-17-2017, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #12372
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Textured Red Rose

10-17-2017, 08:31 PM   #12373
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
only comments

redpit, that handheld landscape shot is spectacular. The cloud formation; the starburst sun; the rays; the light impacting the water, a really great photo.
Frederic, love those Texture effects. Do you think you need a bigger flash?
Hattifnatt, "equally beautiful & horrible" is how I describe nature & wildlife, for I have witnessed both. Many years ago I was fortunate to visit many large cities in the US and several other countries. I toured them much the same was as you and my experience was much the same as yours. Sorta says people really are a part of nature & wildlife regardless of our being so advanced. Some human habitat is very difficult to witness.
Eric, the flash was not obvious, but now looking back I see it. The results of greater light to feed a sensor is an obvious advantage. As you and JensE stated, it's all in how you do it. Considering how bright LED flashlights are I would think that the one you describe would work well. Actually I think you should get a really huge one so that you can say " yours is bigger than Frederic's "
Rupert, I visited your Flickr site and I agree some shots are half decent, but many are very decent and then some. I give you 998 likes.
Best Regards, Bob
10-17-2017, 08:39 PM - 3 Likes   #12374
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
tasty looking breakfast
Thanks Franc.

More food photography.
Self cook dishes shot with DA35 Ltd Macro

10-17-2017, 10:54 PM   #12375
Pentaxian

Original Poster
redpit, that handheld landscape shot is spectacular. The cloud formation; the starburst sun; the rays; the light impacting the water, a really great photo.
Thank you very much Bob!