Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150647 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2018, 05:27 AM   #14581
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
For many cases it will be sufficiently good IMO. If best sharpness and some depth of field are the goal and other parameters also fit, focus stacking should be the better way to go.
Yes, stacking should be a reasonnable solution...
If you use Pixel Shift mode, you should not use "sharpening mode" even with RL convolution, in RawTherapee. I tested it in every sense, it's not the best way to use it. Nevertheless, when converted in Tiff files, you can use it. But if I did understand, it's the way you use it, isn't it?
It's even more true when I digitalize B&W negative with K-1: I never use "sharpening" mode in rawtherapee (PS mode), the grain becoming awfull and very difficult to work with.

02-11-2018, 05:49 AM - 2 Likes   #14582
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Here's another high (or is it low?) aperture shot, f25. I too typically don't go that high, maxing out at f16 usually, but today's subject commanded it. And I too was amazed at the dust spots, was a lot of spot cleaning is PP I can tell you. I even went up to f32. I was pixelshifting as well and tbh wasn't overly impressed with the quality of sharpness from this which I am putting down to the f value rather than my skill lol. I will have to look into 'Capture One Pro' and 'convolution sharpening', see if it helps. (Or i pass the raw file onto you and you can see if you can fix it better lol).
Focus stacking is indeed the way to go, I'm just not sure how to with our K-1's...

Robber Fly
'Capture One Pro' and 'convolution sharpening'
Sorry, it's called deconvolution. I corrected it in my post.

Focus stacking is indeed the way to go, I'm just not sure how to with our K-1's...
Like with most other cameras. I only know of an Olympus solution to do in camera focus stacking. I use a macro rail on tripod and step forward the camera millimeter by millimeter to make a serie of captures with same settings. In post I use HeliconFocus to compute the images and create a 16 bit Adobe RGB tiff file. The base to further work on.

Bruce, if you like, just pm me a dropbox link to your raw file. I'd try some post processing in Capture One 11 and post a resulting jpg image.

---------- Post added 2018-02-11 at 13:57 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
Yes, stacking should be a reasonnable solution...
If you use Pixel Shift mode, you should not use "sharpening mode" even with RL convolution, in RawTherapee. I tested it in every sense, it's not the best way to use it. Nevertheless, when converted in Tiff files, you can use it. But if I did understand, it's the way you use it, isn't it?
It's even more true when I digitalize B&W negative with K-1: I never use "sharpening" mode in rawtherapee (PS mode), the grain becoming awfull and very difficult to work with.
In Raw Therapee I only do the pixel shift computation, set Output Profile RT_Large_gsRGB that should correspond to ProPhoto RGB and create a 16 bit tiff file of it. The base for further work in C1P and until now seldom in Photo Affinity.

By the way, I'm really happy about black & white IQ that C1P supports with it's tools.

---------- Post added 2018-02-11 at 14:10 ----------

For those who are interested in this deconvolution topic concerning C1P there's a thread at luminous-landscape.

I beg everybody's pardon because it's getting off the thread's topic.

Last edited by acoufap; 02-11-2018 at 09:42 AM.
02-11-2018, 06:30 AM - 2 Likes   #14583
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
Hi DimC,
you should come to where I live. Four days a week, I swim in an outdoor olympic swimming pool, sometimes at 6:30 AM and sometimes at 1:30 PM all the year... It's about 5°C to 7°C these days, but the water is cool up to 28°C...
Anyway, nice pictures of winter in this thread these last days.. Thank you for sharing. Bravo.
I have no idea where you Live Teiki, but this look like a place I'd like to live !
I was fortunate to live in Ivory Coast for years and the weather there, despite rainy season, was exactly what I need
When you woke up in the morning and you know that you'll see the sun for a long period during the day is priceless to me.

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi DimC

Pictures 2 & 3 have'nt changed since 2000 feb when I was there.

Dave
Wow, that means you've been in Paris during flooding then !
It is my first time being in Paris and being a witness of such floods, that looks scary when you think the worst flooding (early 1900th) was more than 1m50 about present levels.

QuoteOriginally posted by jabobby Quote
DimC, good photos...bad conditions.
Best Regards, Bob
Thanks mate, lighting was really poor on that day.
02-11-2018, 06:49 AM   #14584
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Another with the A20/2.8 - I'm really enjoying this lens
Now you "haud your wheesht''... otherwise they'll all want a "Good Lady” of their own.

02-11-2018, 07:27 AM - 7 Likes   #14585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Great fog shot. We have had it the last 2 morning, but unlike you, I was too lazy to get out there and shoot something cool like that. Nice one. Eric
QuoteOriginally posted by jabobby Quote
Hattifnatt,enchanting mist photo.
Thank you both. I know what you mean, I too have a really hard time getting up early but luckily this was shot in the evening

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
I am always amazed by the caliber of photos posted on the forum! I have realized that no mater how much money I spend on Pentax gear and practice I will never reach the level of most
In all honesty, this is an idea that you should get out of your head I am also content with the fact that my work doesn't have the consistency of a professional photographer and maybe never will. I take pictures because I really enjoy it and very often I feel that maybe I'm not putting enough work and dedication into it. But every once in awhile... every dog has his day. Just to quote a favorite movie of mine, One night I will get the perfect photograph. And I'm sure you also will.

Two pictures from Bucharest parks (with the DFA 24-70).

02-11-2018, 07:56 AM - 5 Likes   #14586
Veteran Member

Having fun with On1 textures combo.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-11-2018, 07:58 AM - 6 Likes   #14587
Veteran Member

Winter AND Sun

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-11-2018, 08:21 AM - 7 Likes   #14588
Pentaxian

02-11-2018, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #14589
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Thank you both. I know what you mean, I too have a really hard time getting up early but luckily this was shot in the evening

In all honesty, this is an idea that you should get out of your head I am also content with the fact that my work doesn't have the consistency of a professional photographer and maybe never will. I take pictures because I really enjoy it and very often I feel that maybe I'm not putting enough work and dedication into it. But every once in awhile... every dog has his day. Just to quote a favorite movie of mine, One night I will get the perfect photograph. And I'm sure you also will.

Two pictures from Bucharest parks (with the DFA 24-70).

I do appreciate the kind words of encouragement. I also purchased my camera gear not to impress anyone but myself but have found it very hard to ask for assistance in improving my techniques and photo taking abilities! This is what i thought this forum was designed for, not critique others and treat them like dummies just because they were not born with all the knowledge!

---------- Post added 02-11-18 at 09:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Having fun with On1 textures combo.
Very nice! how do you like ON1, its ease to navigate? compared to Lightroom? I recently got an email sale from ON1 and purchased ON1 2018 and a ton of tutorials and plugins for $80, i have been so busy at work , no time to take pictures and play with it
02-11-2018, 09:33 AM - 7 Likes   #14590
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sticking with Tulips

K-1 • Square Mode • DFA100WR + DA TC1.4x + Macro Achromat, first image PSR
02-11-2018, 12:23 PM - 7 Likes   #14591
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Bob !

FF Mode • 100 ISO • Tamron SP AF Di 90mm F2.8 Macro • Metz Flash 52 AF-1 Digital with Ray-Flash Universal L ring adapter
This is F32

Crop Mode • 3200 ISO • Irix Blackstone 15mm F2.4

FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax A 50mm F1.7 • Topaz Labs Texture Effects 2
02-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #14592
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Sorry, it's called deconvolution. I corrected it in my post.

Like with most other cameras. I only know of an Olympus solution to do in camera focus stacking. I use a macro rail on tripod and step forward the camera millimeter by millimeter to make a serie of captures with same settings. In post I use HeliconFocus to compute the images and create a 16 bit Adobe RGB tiff file. The base to further work on.

Bruce, if you like, just pm me a dropbox link to your raw file. I'd try some post processing in Capture One 11 and post a resulting jpg image.

---------- Post added 2018-02-11 at 13:57 ----------

In Raw Therapee I only do the pixel shift computation, set Output Profile RT_Large_gsRGB that should correspond to ProPhoto RGB and create a 16 bit tiff file of it. The base for further work in C1P and until now seldom in Photo Affinity.

By the way, I'm really happy about black & white IQ that C1P supports with it's tools.

---------- Post added 2018-02-11 at 14:10 ----------

For those who are interested in this deconvolution topic concerning C1P there's a thread at luminous-landscape.

I beg everybody's pardon because it's getting off the thread's topic.
Wouldn't physically moving a camera closer to the subject make the objects size differ? Therefore come stacking time it makes it hard/impossible?

Here's the link; Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

It is a PS image as well. My steps were RT first, PS Correction and Lens Correction>16 bit Tiff>LR for exposure playing, spot removal etc>Topaz Plugins (Clarity, Adaptive Exposure)>LR last minute adjustments, slight increase in sharpness etc.

Ima check that thread out at luminous landscape, cheers
02-11-2018, 01:26 PM - 6 Likes   #14593
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ranchy Quote
Join a studio shoot. Trying to learn more of the lighting and set up.
The process is realy nice, bravo!

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
I have no idea where you Live Teiki, but this look like a place I'd like to live !
I was fortunate to live in Ivory Coast for years and the weather there, despite rainy season, was exactly what I need
When you woke up in the morning and you know that you'll see the sun for a long period during the day is priceless to me.
I live near Perpignan...

@acoufap and @DimC, you seem to be very inspired by what you show us. Thank you for sharing...

Cambodia, Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60/2.8 of 1976 with Leica R6/R8, Tri-X @ ISO400, 2008. dK-1
02-11-2018, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #14594
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
And your as good looking as me... one doesn't need to look at the camera.
Your model needs to be taught about eye contact

I have one (or two?) of those living in a dense thicket in my garden, and a few others are about as I am next to a forest - they tend to live in the fringes of woodland. Two days ago a big one was hit and killed in the road outside my house and I picked it up intact before anything else crushed it. Unfortunately wife does not know how to prepare pheasants to cook, and I certainly couldn't, and even our neighbouring farmer's wife said she couldn't either, when offered it. Loss of country skills ...... In the end I tossed it into the forest for a fox to find.
02-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #14595
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Your model needs to be taught about eye contact
I thinking the truth was... too busy looking for a mirror or shop windy to self admire while strutting.
« k1 vs k1ii | - »