Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150743 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2018, 03:57 PM - 4 Likes   #14821
Veteran Member

Killdeer, DFA 150-450mm @ 450mm, handheld

Last edited by longbow; 02-25-2018 at 08:37 PM.
02-25-2018, 04:15 PM - 5 Likes   #14822
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Out playing in the rain with my new toy DFA*70-200 and I am really loving it

02-26-2018, 01:05 AM - 15 Likes   #14823
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ripley Pipley in his "office"

K-1 +DFA 150-450

1/750 f5.6 ISO 3200 410mm

02-26-2018, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #14824
Veteran Member

DFA 150-450

02-26-2018, 06:22 AM   #14825
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
A recent pic of my growing Kitten, Tigger.

Pentax K-1 - SMCP-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited @ f/2.8 ISO 3200 1/250th

2 options :

1- You're lying on the ground, looks like a very soft carpet so that's nice !
2- You're using the Tilt screen and the cat is mesmerized by the system !

Great Pic !

PS : I vote for #1
02-26-2018, 06:23 AM - 6 Likes   #14826
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Channeling my inner Frederic...

Crocus (DFA 100 macro WR)

Country Lane (DFA 15-30mm)

02-26-2018, 06:25 AM   #14827
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Thank you Eric ! I have it since november... Yes I wait for the focus confirmation...

Thank you Bruce ! It is a totally manual lens and the most interesting feature is the double aperture one for the softness (T3.2 - T8) and one other for the opening (F2 - F22)... It is heavy but it has a nice smooth bokeh

Thank you ! It is a fantastic restaurant !

FF Mode • 400 ISO • Laowa 105mm F2 STF (Smooth Trans Focus)

Crop Mode • 100 ISO • Tokina AT-X AF 28-70mm f:2.8
Scallops with saffron sabayon and rice

FF Mode • 200 ISO • Pentax A 50mm F1.7
The Laowa 105mm has some wonderful OOF transition

02-26-2018, 06:52 AM - 10 Likes   #14828
Pentaxian

Central Business District shot with Sigma 10-20 @12mm full frame mode
02-26-2018, 08:12 AM - 10 Likes   #14829
Veteran Member

ISO 16000 - yes sixteen Thousands !

A couple weeks ago I was hired to shoot a recital by a Derviche dancer, Rana Gorgani.
Home - Rana Gorgani
She has amazing skills, for this event she danced for 80 mins without interruption, and she 's got some vibe that's incredible.

Anyway, I showed up early to have some insight of her mental preparation backstage, and also to get an idea of the light that would be available during the show.
When I asked someone from the venue to direct me to the light technician, the answer was pretty simple : "There is no stage light during the show. therefore there is no Light guy"
"What you mean there is no light ??"
- "Well there is no light, except this little one on top of dance floor and some white light for the 2 musician's scores"

I, for a couple seconds, could not believe it really. Then the show started....with no lights !
I had my position upfront (not bad considering the place was super packed) and 2 lenses, 24-70mm and 70-200mm + my K1 (didnt even tried the K3).
I started taking pics at ISO6400 but quickly found out it will not make any good pictures, and I had to crank the ISO to 16000 (correct number of zero here ) to get decent shots starting @1/160.
I mainly shot 1/250 this night (will post more pics as soon as I have clearance from venue) and ISO 16000.

It might not look like it was super dark but believe me it was!
There was only one light in front of her, and I could retrieve an awesome lot of shadows from K1's DR.

When I was going back home I was super curious to see the results, to be honest I thought I wouldnt be able to give her the pics she was looking for because of the noise, but when I looked at the pics in Lr I was really surprised even with no noise correction it was OK.

The real challenge was to get focus on this low light, even my eyes couldnt really see what was going on in the viewfinder lol
I sometimes override AF when the camera was lost.
The 70-200mm was really better in terms of IQ, Ill try to post pics later.

I've came out with a nice set of pictures, with quality good enough for small prints and online presence.

On this night there was at least 2 other Pro Photographer, one Nikon guy with a 24-70mm or equivalent and one Canon shooter with a bulky (fast?) 50mm. I've seen their pics on FB and even if I dont know what ISO they shot for the occasion I can clearly see the Nikon's pics super noisy and not really usable even for social media if you ask me. The Canon pictures are a little better noise wise but the shutter speed was more around 1/125th thus with some artsy blurry effect.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-26-2018, 08:35 AM - 6 Likes   #14830
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
A couple weeks ago I was hired to shoot a recital by a Derviche dancer, Rana Gorgani.
Home - Rana Gorgani
She has amazing skills, for this event she danced for 80 mins without interruption, and she 's got some vibe that's incredible.

Anyway, I showed up early to have some insight of her mental preparation backstage, and also to get an idea of the light that would be available during the show.
When I asked someone from the venue to direct me to the light technician, the answer was pretty simple : "There is no stage light during the show. therefore there is no Light guy"
- "Well there is no light, except this little one on top of dance floor and some white light for the 2 musician's scores"

I, for a couple seconds, could not believe it really. Then the show started....with no lights !
I had my position upfront (not bad considering the place was super packed) and 2 lenses, 24-70mm and 70-200mm + my K1 (didnt even tried the K3).
I started taking pics at ISO6400 but quickly found out it will not make any good pictures, and I had to crank the ISO to 16000 (correct number of zero here ) to get decent shots starting @1/160.
I mainly shot 1/250 this night (will post more pics as soon as I have clearance from venue) and ISO 16000.

There was only one light in front of her, and I could retrieve an awesome lot of shadows from K1's DR.

When I was going back home I was super curious to see the results, to be honest I thought I wouldnt be able to give her the pics she was looking for because of the noise, but when I looked at the pics in Lr I was really surprised even with no noise correction it was OK.

The real challenge was to get focus on this low light, even my eyes couldnt really see what was going on in the viewfinder lol

I've came out with a nice set of pictures, with quality good enough for small prints and online presence.

On this night there was at least 2 other Pro Photographer, one Nikon guy with a 24-70mm or equivalent and one Canon shooter with a bulky (fast?) 50mm. I've seen their pics on FB and even if I dont know what ISO they shot for the occasion I can clearly see the Nikon's pics super noisy and not really usable even for social media if you ask me. The Canon pictures are a little better noise wise but the shutter speed was more around 1/125th thus with some artsy blurry effect.
Wow! That is great work right there.
Eric

---------- Post added 02-26-18 at 10:43 AM ----------

2 Shot Pano

Irix Thingy ƒ/16.0 15.0 mm 1.6 Seconds ISO100
02-26-2018, 11:07 AM - 3 Likes   #14831
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another Tulip View

K-1 • DFA100WR • ISO100 • 1/30s • f/4.0
02-26-2018, 11:51 AM - 4 Likes   #14832
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Channeling my inner Frederic...
What ?!
The Laowa 105mm has some wonderful OOF transition
Thank you !

FF Mode • 400 ISO • Laowa 105mm F2 STF (Smooth Trans Focus)

FF Mode • 200 ISO • Pentax A 50mm F1.7

FF Mode • 100 ISO • Irix Blackstone 15mm F2.4

Crop Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM
02-26-2018, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #14833
Veteran Member

02-26-2018, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #14834
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Home - Rana Gorgani

Looks a cracker shot to me, well done you!

Do you think in those instances it's worth lowering the EV value, to say -2.0? It would mean you can't chimp at all (black screen) but when back at base and in front of LR, lifting the exposure up should in theory give you a lower ISO and hopefully less noisy looking image? (shooting RAW of course)
02-26-2018, 01:11 PM - 3 Likes   #14835
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Looks a cracker shot to me, well done you!

Do you think in those instances it's worth lowering the EV value, to say -2.0? It would mean you can't chimp at all (black screen) but when back at base and in front of LR, lifting the exposure up should in theory give you a lower ISO and hopefully less noisy looking image? (shooting RAW of course)
Not "lower ISO"... you lose the advantage of less ISO amplification when pushing the shadows in PP, plus you also amplify downstream noise.
The advantage, if the camera is (nearly) ISO-less like most Pentax are, is more dynamic range, since you'll only be amplifying the signal in the shadows, while keeping the highlights where they are.

I do it all the time with my K-01, but only when DR requires it (i.e. a nightscape, which has very bright lamp posts/neon signs and very dark street corners).