Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150764 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2018, 12:05 PM - 15 Likes   #15196
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Today's "Only the ground" shot - even though you might say I cheat a bit with this one...

Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50/1.7

03-20-2018, 03:47 PM - 16 Likes   #15197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A couple days ago, while in NYC I decided to quickly go for the Brooklyn pylons shot toward Manhattan.
A very common image but I wanted to try it myself. I managed to be on time at about 5.45pm, about a full hour before sunset.

And what a surprise, when I came at the spot, there was maybe 50 or 60 photographers
All ready to shoot on tripods...tons of gear and different cameras, from small to big, all brands...

While I asked one woman if I could just setup next to her she told me that all the photographer's were from Adorama Workshop held that day in Brooklyn.
I took this opportunity to sneak in and setup my Pentax camera on a small tripod on a rock in front of the wood pylons...took a couple shots and decided to go with the larger tripod, just in front of a sorta big wood pylon laying in the ground.

We waited and talked with the woman from Adorama giving the workshop until the sun goes down and I finaly came up with the following shot.

I didnt notice any Pentax fellow shooter out there but I maybe missed some...any of you guys been shooting there on march 18th ?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
03-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #15198
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

fs999, savoche and DimC - Praise for all your pictures posted above this post of mine. Really fine images. A pleasure to see each of them.
03-20-2018, 07:27 PM - 6 Likes   #15199
Veteran Member

Here's a small 'accident' from last week.

Overexposed the shot, but ended up preferring it to the correctly exposed ones when converting it to monochrome.
Not sure what it is, but it's got something I like.

Edit: What is the world coming to? First photo I've shared on flickr with an AF lens..

Last edited by Topsy; 03-20-2018 at 07:34 PM.
03-20-2018, 07:36 PM - 3 Likes   #15200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A touch of Dew

03-20-2018, 08:37 PM - 2 Likes   #15201
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Eric, interesting that the flutterbys are color coordinated to the flowers, superb shots mister.
savoche
, cheat or not, that is an exceptional capture. I would have cropped it at the peoples feet & posted it upside down just to confuse folks.
DimC, very nice shot, interesting perspective.
Topsy, For me it has a very soft yet haunting appearance, I like it.
Best Regards, Bob
03-20-2018, 11:14 PM - 10 Likes   #15202
Pentaxian

03-20-2018, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #15203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Did I mention there was more?

smc PENTAX-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM ƒ/6.3 300.0 mm 1/1250 ISO640

smc PENTAX-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM ƒ/6.3 300.0 mm 1/1250 ISO500

smc PENTAX-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM ƒ/5.6 300.0 mm 1/2500 ISO640
Really like these, lovely clarity in the flowers and colour amplification too.

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Nice to also see 'catalogue' style shots from you (ie the lassies more heavily cladded lol). What I really mean is I get the chance to take my eyes away from the obvious sex appeal (bums and cleavage) and instead appreciate the aesthetics of the shot itself! hahah, nice stuff (but don't keep it up lol).

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
A couple days ago, while in NYC I decided to quickly go for the Brooklyn pylons shot toward Manhattan.
A very common image but I wanted to try it myself. I managed to be on time at about 5.45pm, about a full hour before sunset.

And what a surprise, when I came at the spot, there was maybe 50 or 60 photographers
All ready to shoot on tripods...tons of gear and different cameras, from small to big, all brands...

While I asked one woman if I could just setup next to her she told me that all the photographer's were from Adorama Workshop held that day in Brooklyn.
I took this opportunity to sneak in and setup my Pentax camera on a small tripod on a rock in front of the wood pylons...took a couple shots and decided to go with the larger tripod, just in front of a sorta big wood pylon laying in the ground.

We waited and talked with the woman from Adorama giving the workshop until the sun goes down and I finaly came up with the following shot.

I didnt notice any Pentax fellow shooter out there but I maybe missed some...any of you guys been shooting there on march 18th ?
Good story, love a story to a pic. Interesting to hear how a heavily populated area attracts the masses to a particular well established look out point. You did great by the way.

A couple of weeks ago I tried a kinda partial HDR merge on a similar kinda shot. I found that if I exposed the sunrise/sunset well, the rest of the shot was silhoutted, so then I used the brighter frame of a HDR capture to use solely for the buildings. Did you do anything like that here?

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote

Overexposed the shot, but ended up preferring it to the correctly exposed ones when converting it to monochrome.
Not sure what it is, but it's got something I like.

Edit: What is the world coming to? First photo I've shared on flickr with an AF lens..
Accidental high key shot, I love 'em!
03-21-2018, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #15204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote

The only one to have a Pentax camera, but for sure the best picture of that day! Bravo.
03-21-2018, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #15205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Really like these, lovely clarity in the flowers and colour amplification too.

Nice to also see 'catalogue' style shots from you (ie the lassies more heavily cladded lol). What I really mean is I get the chance to take my eyes away from the obvious sex appeal (bums and cleavage) and instead appreciate the aesthetics of the shot itself! hahah, nice stuff (but don't keep it up lol).

Good story, love a story to a pic. Interesting to hear how a heavily populated area attracts the masses to a particular well established look out point. You did great by the way.

A couple of weeks ago I tried a kinda partial HDR merge on a similar kinda shot. I found that if I exposed the sunrise/sunset well, the rest of the shot was silhoutted, so then I used the brighter frame of a HDR capture to use solely for the buildings. Did you do anything like that here?

Accidental high key shot, I love 'em!
Thanks!
I've been using all 3 frames so far, I had no time to really work on that picture, or any of the pics I've shot on this trip to NYC.

QuoteOriginally posted by jabobby Quote
Eric, interesting that the flutterbys are color coordinated to the flowers, superb shots mister.
savoche
, cheat or not, that is an exceptional capture. I would have cropped it at the peoples feet & posted it upside down just to confuse folks.
DimC, very nice shot, interesting perspective.
Topsy, For me it has a very soft yet haunting appearance, I like it.
Best Regards, Bob
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
The only one to have a Pentax camera, but for sure the best picture of that day! Bravo.
thanks!
I have no idea of what came.out of this bunch of Adorama people but they all were friendly. Some of them looked like total beginners and one woman did shoot with on board flash a couple times that was funny.
A great number of people were using Sony cameras, that really questioned me.
The only one guy who asked me about my camera was a French tourist with a iPhone trying to shoot the sunset, he didn't knew I spoke French and when he passed nearby watching every photographer's he made a pause looking at the K1 and said to his girlfriend "that's the one I talked to you about "

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
fs999, savoche and DimC - Praise for all your pictures posted above this post of mine. Really fine images. A pleasure to see each of them.
Thanks a lot!
03-21-2018, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #15206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
LeRolls,

Your photos inspire me to shoot like you. Very nice!
03-21-2018, 05:39 AM   #15207
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote

Overexposed the shot, but ended up preferring it to the correctly exposed ones when converting it to monochrome
I like pictures taken in fog and yours is no exception. I generally find that the camera's meter underexposes in foggy scenes. There is a lot of soft diffused light and little contrast and this often fools the meter. A bit of +ve compensation is often required.
03-21-2018, 08:00 AM - 7 Likes   #15208
Pentaxian

Bridalveil Falls in winter

K1+Tamron 24-135mm+CPL
Attached Images

03-21-2018, 08:07 AM - 5 Likes   #15209
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pear Blossoms (DFA 100 WR with pixel shift)

03-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #15210
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Pear Blossoms (DFA 100 WR with pixel shift)

It's not fair, we've still got 8 inches of snow in the bush. We haven't even seen a crocus this year, and it was -15 last light, -23º C two night ago.