Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #15421
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Having spent a lot of time living in the bush and working in roles that required me to advise other people of the 'widow maker' potential of gum trees, I do not understand why anybody would choose to allow one to grow in the vicinity of their home.

Granted some gums are worse than others, but if you see a heavy branch growing horizontally from the trunk, or even on a 45 degree angle you have to assume that gravity will eventually win. Especially if there's a strong wind event after an extended dry period.

Glad to hear there were no munchkins around when the power lines were knocked down.

Tas
Yeh a similar branch fell outside where I park (my car is the red subby in the background of shot number 4), and totalled the vehicle, happened 15mins after getting the kids out of the car after school pick up time!

They always they seem to break in dry hot, still weather conditions. Unfortunately this is the Blue Mountains, if we went around taking every mighty tree out that could (and will) have large branches falling off, then 50% of the mountains would be gone, it's just unrealistic as well as too expensive for many! I guess it's just something you have to accept if you live in the bush. In fact council wouldn't have let you take down any gum tree without good reason till just very recently after the last bad bush fires (destroyed 200 homes) then they bowed to public pressure and allowed the removal of any tree within 10m of the property without approval needing.
Ironically removing trees within 10m of the property from a bush fire perspective does little to nothing to help prevent bushfires or defend property really, but does stop falling branches from killing people and cars lol.

QuoteOriginally posted by pweindich Quote
To my knowledge there is only one 35mm ltd., the Pentax DA 35mm Macro limited.
Was it this one; SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

or this one?; Pentax 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited HD DA Review

I take it it's similar to other HD, different coating, usually resulting in better flare and perhaps bokeh control but star bursts are not as good with the HD compared to regular ltd?

Would be interested to see some non cropped K-1 shots with it, and if PP can correct the vignetting easily etc.

With the first stair shot, I take it you shot wide open at f2.8 then?

Sorry for all the questions, but with great shots come great responsibilities! hehe

Last edited by BruceBanner; 04-02-2018 at 01:30 PM.
04-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #15422

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Was it this one; SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

or this one?; Pentax 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited HD DA Review

I take it it's similar to other HD, different coating, usually resulting in better flare and perhaps bokeh control but star bursts are not as good with the HD compared to regular ltd?

Would be interested to see some non cropped K-1 shots with it, and if PP can correct the vignetting easily etc.

With the first stair shot, I take it you shot wide open at f2.8 then?

Sorry for all the questions, but with great shots come great responsibilities! hehe
Ah I am very sorry, you are right of course, they remade the HD versions, mine is a regular non-HD version. Though I think the only difference is a different lens coating (not sure). The first stair shot is at f2.8 yes.

I attached a completely unaltered image from the 35mm at f6.3. I have to pull up the corners by about two stops to make them even, but then again it really only affects the very extreme corners. The 70mm ltd. I have as the HD version and that shows no vignetting at all as far as I can tell (also a fabulous lens imo).

04-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #15423
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pweindich Quote
Ah I am very sorry, you are right of course, they remade the HD versions, mine is a regular non-HD version. Though I think the only difference is a different lens coating (not sure). The first stair shot is at f2.8 yes.

I attached a completely unaltered image from the 35mm at f6.3. I have to pull up the corners by about two stops to make them even, but then again it really only affects the very extreme corners. The 70mm ltd. I have as the HD version and that shows no vignetting at all as far as I can tell (also a fabulous lens imo).
Do you have the RAW or original jpg (with EXIF) for that shot still? I 'saved image as' and tried to load it into LR and see if I could use a Pentax Lens Profile to correct vignetting etc, but alas I believe the file has lost its EXIF as I'm not even able to select 'Pentax' as a brand for the lens profiling.

Quite curious to see if with the 35mm you can solve the corners without cropping in PP.

Ta!
04-02-2018, 03:24 PM - 3 Likes   #15424
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A nice kind of Orange

04-02-2018, 05:09 PM   #15425
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
So, how bad is vingetting? I suppose that for 'macro' use it is no problem, but how about outside. I'v been pondering about getting wider macro than my 90 mm. so FF that would be DFA 50, or? this 35 mm limited..?
Experience differs on this. I get vignetting which can usually be removed in post, but admittedly by using extreme removal on PS sliders, but others actually get actual clipping of the corners, even without the lens hood. I can only explain the difference as either being due to manufacturing tolerance, presumably with internal masking, or that I simply haven’t used the combinations of aperture and focal distance that others have, to observe the effect.

In any event, cropping in-camera (either to APS-C or Square mode) or in post removes the problem, where it occurs. Cropping in post-processing doesn’t seem to be necessary to the extent of the APS-C frame.

PS – while the DA35 Limited is as fine a piece of glass as you’d expect for its designation, the FA50/2.8 Macro is similarly worthy, even though it doesn’t carry the same branding, albeit that its build isn’t to the same standard as that of the 35 or the DFA100/2.8 Macro.
04-03-2018, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #15426
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I was trying to compose I witty comment, but my mind has gone to mush. A lovely girl.

---------- Post added 03-04-18 at 20:22 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
My kitten is taking over the right side my desk. I'm waiting for the colder months for him to migrate to the thermal efficiency nightmare 300w Class A amp on the left side of my desk.

Pentax K-1 - SMCP-K 55mm f/1.8 @ f/1.8 ISO 400 1/60th
Love your kitten shots, but class A is cool.

---------- Post added 03-04-18 at 20:48 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Mainly to do with multiples of 10 being significant due to having 5 fingers/toes on each hand/foot. If we had 4 fingers and toes then 800 would be the milestone! hehe

(nice shots by the way
512, I think. And, while we're at it, the new millenium, started in 2001, not 2000.
04-03-2018, 05:39 AM - 7 Likes   #15427
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just Chillin' (DA *55/Pentax K-1)

04-03-2018, 08:25 AM - 6 Likes   #15428
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Irix Thingy ƒ/5.0 15.0 mm 1/160 ISO800

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Eric,
That is a well used old four shaft "barn frame" loom. Love the polish on the back beam. Lots of thread over it's lifetime. If the yarn was hand spun and woven while still "in the grease" it will be soaked with lanolin. My wife got her first loom in 1979. I have learned a lot by sheer osmosis and by having to do some repairs on older looms and spinning wheels.
Thanks, it is great to see your perspective. The cool thing about Heritage Village is that most of the artifacts are not just a hodgepodge of randomly displayed items, but are a collection from the original owners and from the people of the area that were actually used in those re-located buildings and homes on the property, so it lends authenticity and tangible connection to the past.
Eric

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote

I'm sure he is laughing it up, where he is Thank you !
Nice points of view for that sewing machine !

A new one I would say, for mkI upgraded and mkII of course...
Thanks Frederic, I think you are right. And... that is a great looking drink, I want to grab it!
Eric

Last edited by Erictator; 04-03-2018 at 11:04 AM.
04-03-2018, 10:43 AM - 5 Likes   #15429
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Irix Thingy ƒ/5.0 15.0 mm 1/160 ISO800
Wonderful shot !
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Thanks Frederic, I think you are right. And... that is a great looking drink, I want to grab it!
Eric
Thank you Eric !

FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM

FF Mode • 800 ISO • HD Pentax DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW • Pied Woodpecker

Crop Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM • Topaz Labs Texture Effects 2
04-03-2018, 11:12 AM - 4 Likes   #15430
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two Sculptures - One Nature Made in Color, One Man-Made in Black & White

... both K-1 • DFA28-105
04-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #15431
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Some contrast to savoche's pictures - from mountains to the sea.
I'd take your sea over my moutains any day! This winter has been far too long...

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Here is couple from our spring time. Still waiting for one.
Yeah, this spring would have fit better around Christmas time. But hey, at least the daylight is back
04-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #15432
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'd take your sea over my moutains any day! This winter has been far too long...

Yeah, this spring would have fit better around Christmas time. But hey, at least the daylight is back
That daylight is nice. Soon it will be crazy..
04-03-2018, 02:55 PM - 15 Likes   #15433
Veteran Member

The Irix thingy* 15mm !

Fantastic lens on the K1.
PS : I've deleted the picture #2, processing was wrong, using new Lightroom DNG profile that are oversaturated in blue and magenta on some of them. I need to double check all those profiles.

*See Erictator pics.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by DimC; 04-03-2018 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Deleted the photo #2 - wrong processing
04-03-2018, 03:04 PM - 9 Likes   #15434
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
The Irix thingy* 15mm !

Fantastic lens on the K1.

*See Erictator pics.
I really like what I see with the 15mm Irix. When i see pics like this and others with the Sigma Art 35mm 1.4 it makes me feel as though I have to give up on the idea of Zooms and just stick to Primes!

Here's a pic from Easter Monday taken with the FA50mm;

Little Trekker

04-03-2018, 03:47 PM - 8 Likes   #15435
Pentaxian

Last edited by LeRolls; 04-03-2018 at 07:25 PM.