Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150657 Likes Search this Thread
04-04-2018, 06:54 AM - 8 Likes   #15451
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Catching up with this thread is so difficult!

Two pictures from Galway (with the 24-70). For some reason first one got explored

04-04-2018, 06:57 AM - 7 Likes   #15452
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mirrored Perspectives

K-1 • FF mode • DFA28-105@105

K-1 • APSC mode • HD DA15

04-04-2018, 07:45 AM - 8 Likes   #15453
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Irix Thingy ƒ/5.0 15.0 mm 1/200 ISO800

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Wonderful shot !

Thank you Eric !
Thanks Frederic, people like you and the other great photog's on here set the standard for me, I just try to keep up with y'all.
Great yellows...I think I saw that flower on Star Trek, it spit out spores & made Spock sing!
Love the effect on the sky in the last pic, it's like an impressionist painting!!!!
Eric

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
The Irix thingy* 15mm !

Fantastic lens on the K1.
PS : I've deleted the picture #2, processing was wrong, using new Lightroom DNG profile that are oversaturated in blue and magenta on some of them. I need to double check all those profiles.

*See Erictator pics.
Hey, my Thingy is awesome, all I have to do is look at your posts to see that! Those are great landscapes! The foreground interest really makes the first one.

If you find a good profile in the existing lens list, let me know. I've tried (on my old CC15 and ACR 9.6 (I think it is the last ACR they made that was compatible for CC15??, I wish I could run newer ACR...) and I think the closest profile I found was Samyang 16mm F2 lens on list. What are you using? Any idea's?
Thanks!
Eric

QuoteOriginally posted by jabobby Quote
Eric, your B&W shots are really good, the composition; the POV; the IQ, very well done.

Best Regards, Bob
Thanks Bob! I used to do a lot of B&W work when I had a darkroom at my old house. I miss it sometimes and revert to it when I think it is called for. This series seemed a no brainer for B&W to me.

I love horses and you capture them well... my uncle used to rehabilitate sulky's from Rockingham before it burned down, and he has since passed. Great memories from my youth on his farm. Re: Borders - Sometimes a black border, even a thin one, can help separate a pic from the web page background. With this default background being white, I can see where it would be nice to have a boarder at times.
Psssst: I told Frederic our tractors are all John Deer green, don't let him see that red beauty! Great restore job, and cool pic.
Eric

I've been in love with the IRIX Thingy so far. I had to test it a few times because this brand suffered from bad QC in the past. I went first to Adorama and tried the only one they had in stock. Tested it in their brickwall and this copy was de-centered from my tests. and the left side being noticably softer than the right side. The lady from Adorama was super nice and offered to bring one more copy from their stock, but it would have taken 2 days and I had to leave NYC the day after.
So I went to B&H and they had one copy in stock, tried it (tripod at different apertures etc) and didnt notice any softness or de-centering on this one and decided to buy it.
Since then Im getting used to this lens, I think Im in love with the 15mm FoV on the K1. Seems very natural to me.
I ordered the "cheap" Newegg 30x30mm ND filters to try Long exposure but this is a piece of crap !
Then I ordered the IRIX EDGE 95mm ND1000 filter, should get it in a week or so.

I need to try night shots, astro and other indoor stuff but so far it's been a very good value for me.

Some light is doing the magic here...great shot and composition!
I am sorry I seem to always have more questions... but I just bought some Irix rear ND filters to try because they were inexpensive, and thought worth the gamble. Mine are actual Irix Gel's. I know they are fragile, but thought again, worth the gamble. Were your Newegg filters these? or some third party make? Hoping the latter... I am warming up to the Irix FOV also.

Once again, you prove the Irix Thingy is great in your hands. Wonderful reflection and colors!
Eric
04-04-2018, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #15454
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote

Thanks Frederic, people like you and the other great photog's on here set the standard for me, I just try to keep up with y'all.
Great yellows...I think I saw that flower on Star Trek, it spit out spores & made Spock sing!
Love the effect on the sky in the last pic, it's like an impressionist painting!!!!
Eric

Hey, my Thingy is awesome, all I have to do is look at your posts to see that! Those are great landscapes! The foreground interest really makes the first one.

If you find a good profile in the existing lens list, let me know. I've tried (on my old CC15 and ACR 9.6 (I think it is the last ACR they made that was compatible for CC15??, I wish I could run newer ACR...) and I think the closest profile I found was Samyang 16mm F2 lens on list. What are you using? Any idea's?
Thanks!
Eric

Thanks Bob! I used to do a lot of B&W work when I had a darkroom at my old house. I miss it sometimes and revert to it when I think it is called for. This series seemed a no brainer for B&W to me.

I love horses and you capture them well... my uncle used to rehabilitate sulky's from Rockingham before it burned down, and he has since passed. Great memories from my youth on his farm. Re: Borders - Sometimes a black border, even a thin one, can help separate a pic from the web page background. With this default background being white, I can see where it would be nice to have a boarder at times.
Psssst: I told Frederic our tractors are all John Deer green, don't let him see that red beauty! Great restore job, and cool pic.
Eric

I am sorry I seem to always have more questions... but I just bought some Irix rear ND filters to try because they were inexpensive, and thought worth the gamble. Mine are actual Irix Gel's. I know they are fragile, but thought again, worth the gamble. Were your Newegg filters these? or some third party make? Hoping the latter... I am warming up to the Irix FOV also.

Once again, you prove the Irix Thingy is great in your hands. Wonderful reflection and colors!
Eric
Eric,

There is a great IRIX lens profile for ACR and Lr on their website here :
Irix - The photographers dream - Downloads
It did a great job at correcting vigneting for example.

I bought some Third Party (newegg) rear ND filters, and that was crap, I should have tried the IRIX but in the meantime I ordered the front 95mm ND1000.
Ill let you know how great it is, I've read reviews and it seems a great ND filter, but kinda expensive.

04-04-2018, 09:32 AM - 6 Likes   #15455
Pentaxian

Man, 1031 pages, 51,000 likes awarded.... by far, the most popular Pentax body on the forum of all time. The big question now, is, if I go for the K-1 upgrade and my K-1 becomes a K-1 mkII, can I still post in this thread?

On flickr

3,189 items uploaded yesterday
178 users yesterday. That is 30 more daily users on flickr than last time I checked a month or two ago.
I've never seen another Ricoh or Pentax body with more than 165 daily users posting. (for today's K-3)

Ranked number 1 among Ricoh cameras.

https://www.flickr.com/cameras/ricoh/imaging_company_ltd._pentax_k-1/

Usage this year...

Last edited by normhead; 04-04-2018 at 09:44 AM.
04-04-2018, 10:35 AM - 7 Likes   #15456
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Made a way over due visit to the farm of some friends. They just finished redoing the old AC D-19 and are very proud. They have some really nice horses and I got a few shots in the barn that I kinda like. The lighting was incandescent & compact fluorescent and I wanted to keep the shutter speed at least a little high since the horses kept wanting to move even though I told them not to. At any rate the mixed lighting sorta produced a special effect IMO. Interesting that the horse photos look much better with a black border or back ground. Maybe I should try doing the border thing.
Best Regards, Bob
What extraordinary horse power you have there
Exactly !
HEY !!!!!
Do you know that you can use your Irix Thingy at other aperture ?

FF Mode • 1600 ISO • Tokina AT-X AF 28-70mm f:2.8 • Topaz Labs Texture Effects 2

FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA* 50-135mm F2.8 SDM

FF Mode • 200 ISO • Pentax DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM • Topaz Labs Texture Effects 2

FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM • Walimex Pro Flash 3xVC-400
04-04-2018, 10:36 AM - 4 Likes   #15457
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

acoufap, I love natures sculpture and that is a good photo, incredible color.

K-1 • DFA28-105@28

Thank you very much! I really like your greys.

And also many thanks to all the other members that bring this thread to life! IMO this thread shouldn't be split into "K-1", "K-1 II upgraded" and "K-1 II". I guess, basically the images shown won't be that different. Main differences may be visible in high ISO images. I don't expect a lot of handheld Pixel Shift Resolution images. But I may be wrong. To see differences in one thread I'd appreciate.

Great to see some pictures taken with the Irix 15 from members like FS999, DimC and Erictator. I really enjoy them. This lens is one on my wish list ... like other's. Budget is restricted - so I wait with my purchase until I see how far the Pentax DA* 11-18 is usable in FF mode.

Last edited by acoufap; 04-04-2018 at 10:48 AM.
04-04-2018, 10:50 AM - 10 Likes   #15458
Pentaxian

Protected

Pentax K-1 + smc PENTAX-D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8 WR

Face to god

Pentax K-1 + HD PENTAX-D FA 24-70mm F2.8ED SDM WR
Panoramic of 8 pictures
04-04-2018, 10:59 AM - 3 Likes   #15459
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'd take your sea over my moutains any day! This winter has been far too long...

Yeah, this spring would have fit better around Christmas time. But hey, at least the daylight is back
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'd take your sea over my moutains any day! This winter has been far too long...
Yes, it's a bit extrem this year and I guess in Norway it's a lot worse. After the return of winter, spring hit back since yesterday! - Unbelievable 18° C in my region 900 km south of the sea! No more snow.

Greetings!

... both taken with K-1 • DA55-300PLM • Achromat 3+ ... if one doesn't own a macro lens a nice "near macro combo".
04-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #15460
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Eric,

There is a great IRIX lens profile for ACR and Lr on their website here :
Irix - The photographers dream - Downloads
It did a great job at correcting vigneting for example.
Hey, great! I didn't know that was there, thank you so much.
04-04-2018, 03:27 PM - 6 Likes   #15461
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sprays of Tropical Colour

04-04-2018, 07:33 PM   #15462
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Nice set. Was that Buninyong?
Yes, mate, and full of drama as usual!
04-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #15463
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DimC, That is very good & valuable information, thank you for posting that story. I certainly like the new version of the photo. Also I am very anxious to do some night & astro shooting, pretty soon I hope.
Eric, thank you for the compliment. Told a friend of mine that I have 4 tractors: gray, blue, red & orange. He responded "Oh, so you do not really own a farm tractor" Yep, his are all green.
Frederic, that Topaz effect makes photos like that mountain scene look like a painting, that is really cool.
acoufap, Regarding the K-1 thread, I totally agree with what you said. BTW, nice grey nose shot & really nice flower shots & the mirrored perspectives. In about a week when the current cold spell ends I should see some flowers.
Best Regards, Bob
04-04-2018, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #15464
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
What extraordinary horse power you have there

Exactly !

HEY !!!!!

Do you know that you can use your Irix Thingy at other aperture ?

FF Mode • 1600 ISO • Tokina AT-X AF 28-70mm f:2.8 • Topaz Labs Texture Effects 2

FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA* 50-135mm F2.8 SDM

FF Mode • 200 ISO • Pentax DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM • Topaz Labs Texture Effects 2

FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM • Walimex Pro Flash 3xVC-400
Chimay !
My all time Favorite beer, all 3 colors of them, White, Red and Blue!
They got some pretty good cheese too

DimC, That is very good & valuable information, thank you for posting that story. I certainly like the new version of the photo. Also I am very anxious to do some night & astro shooting, pretty soon I hope.
Eric, thank you for the compliment. Told a friend of mine that I have 4 tractors: gray, blue, red & orange. He responded "Oh, so you do not really own a farm tractor" Yep, his are all green.
Frederic, that Topaz effect makes photos like that mountain scene look like a painting, that is really cool.
acoufap, Regarding the K-1 thread, I totally agree with what you said. BTW, nice grey nose shot & really nice flower shots & the mirrored perspectives. In about a week when the current cold spell ends I should see some flowers.
Best Regards, Bob
You're welcome Jabobby.
I never really tried Astrophotography but it's planned for may, I need some nice weather now!
Well in fact I tried one night but with the Pentax 20-35mm F4 the result was disapointing and on top of that I did not prepared my shoot and as far as I can see Astrophotography has a lot to do with planning
04-05-2018, 12:46 AM   #15465
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Man, 1031 pages, 51,000 likes awarded.... by far, the most popular Pentax body on the forum of all time. The big question now, is, if I go for the K-1 upgrade and my K-1 becomes a K-1 mkII, can I still post in this thread?
I hope so...

[Test] Pentax K-1 II
« k1 vs k1ii | - »