Loyal Site Supporter

Some fishy shots.

DA10-17

04-05-2018, 02:12 AM - 4 Likes   #15469
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Multi Exposure Double Take

More than 35 years ago I experimented with double exposures using my ME Super.

Now one recent evening I thought I’d like to see what I can get with this technique taking pictures of a flower. But I wasn’t satisfied with the results … and forgot to deactivate this mode. So next day at the zoo I accidentally produced these two pictures as DNG raw files … captures made through a window pane with K-1 in APSC mode using DA55-300PLM at different focal lengths:

Seal, Seagull and Cat fishing

The special thing with digital multi-exposure mode is that it’s different to HDR or PSR mode. In HDR mode three and in PSR mode four raw captures are packed into a DNG container that also includes a generated jpg preview image.

In digital multi-exposure mode the captures are mixed up into one raw image capture similar how it is with film. But in digital you can choose between three „mix methods“: average, additiv and bright. I chose additive which I think simulates the film multi-exposure.

I'd like to know - does anybody else use the K-1 multi-exposure mode, what are your subjects and can you show any examples?

Thank’s in advance!

04-05-2018, 02:57 AM - 6 Likes   #15470
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
More than 35 years ago I experimented with double exposures using my ME Super.

Now one recent evening I thought I’d like to see what I can get with this technique taking pictures of a flower. But I wasn’t satisfied with the results … and forgot to deactivate this mode. So next day at the zoo I accidentally produced these two pictures as DNG raw files … captures made through a window pane with K-1 in APSC mode using DA55-300PLM at different focal lengths:

Seal, Seagull and Cat fishing

The special thing with digital multi-exposure mode is that it’s different to HDR or PSR mode. In HDR mode three and in PSR mode four raw captures are packed into a DNG container that also includes a generated jpg preview image.

In digital multi-exposure mode the captures are mixed up into one raw image capture similar how it is with film. But in digital you can choose between three „mix methods“: average, additiv and bright. I chose additive which I think simulates the film multi-exposure.

I'd like to know - does anybody else use the K-1 multi-exposure mode, what are your subjects and can you show any examples?

Thank’s in advance!
Yup I do =)

Here's my few purposeful examples lol;

04-05-2018, 07:27 AM - 5 Likes   #15471
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Irix Thingy ƒ/6.3 15.0 mm 1/100 ISO800

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Eric,
There is a great IRIX lens profile for ACR and Lr on their website ...

I bought some Third Party (newegg) rear ND filters, and that was crap, I should have tried the IRIX but in the meantime I ordered the front 95mm ND1000.
Ill let you know how great it is, I've read reviews and it seems a great ND filter, but kinda expensive.
Thanks!!!! That is awesome to know, I have downloaded and installed them and can't wait to try on next batch... almost tempted to re-do some existing ones.
Eric

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Exactly !
HEY !!!!!
Do you know that you can use your Irix Thingy at other aperture ?
I kinda figured that out eventually...
Amazing bokeh on that 50-150135mm! Beautiful shot!
Eric

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
And also many thanks to all the other members that bring this thread to life! IMO this thread shouldn't be split into "K-1", "K-1 II upgraded" and "K-1 II". I guess, basically the images shown won't be that different. Main differences may be visible in high ISO images. I don't expect a lot of handheld Pixel Shift Resolution images. But I may be wrong. To see differences in one thread I'd appreciate.

Great to see some pictures taken with the Irix 15 from members like FS999, DimC and Erictator. I really enjoy them. This lens is one on my wish list ... like other's. Budget is restricted - so I wait with my purchase until I see how far the Pentax DA* 11-18 is usable in FF mode.
I agree, no segregation! Do we need to march with funny hats and signs? Or just ask Adam?

Thanks, I got mine used on E-Pray, and was lucky to find an honest seller. A little gamble buying second hand if decentered and no warranty, but it did save me a fair bit of coin I can now spend elsewhere.
Eric

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Oh dear, someone shrunk that poor childs jumper in the dryer. Lets all chip in and buy her a new one...

Great shot Chris, Gene Roddenberry would be proud! (Inside Trekkie joke)

QuoteOriginally posted by jabobby Quote

Eric, thank you for the compliment. Told a friend of mine that I have 4 tractors: gray, blue, red & orange. He responded "Oh, so you do not really own a farm tractor" Yep, his are all green.

Best Regards, Bob
Even my Dad's old walk-behind Bolens tractor was green... My brother still has it, we were joking about restoring it for laughs. Still runs fine, just needs a little TLC.
Eric

Last edited by Erictator; 04-05-2018 at 11:40 AM.
04-05-2018, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #15472
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Yup I do =)

Love the first shot - it fits with the band well.

The last is my favorite - well put together, with much interpretable mystery.

04-05-2018, 08:54 AM - 4 Likes   #15473
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup I do =)

Thank you! - Nice shots. My favorite also is No 1.

Here's another one ...

Buffalo & Pony
Attached Images

04-05-2018, 09:05 AM - 5 Likes   #15474
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
canopy

savoche, your first two fishy shots are really special, especially the first one with the reflection & POV. I like the canopy & others also.
acoufap, very interesting multi-exposure shots, & great information. That last photo of yours is totally strange!!!
Eric, holy mufflers taterman, that last B&W with the Irix thingy is super superb.
BruceBanner, those are awesome multi-expo shots.
Here is a shot up thru the aspens.
Best Regards, Bob
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-05-2018, 10:45 AM - 4 Likes   #15475
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots ! My preferred is obviously the last one

QuoteOriginally posted by erictator Quote
irix thingy ƒ/6.3 15.0 mm 1/100 iso800
Is that your actual car ?

amazing bokeh on that 50-150mm! Beautiful shot!
Thanks. No. 50-135mm

even my dad'd old walk-behind bolens tractor was green... My brother still has it, we were joking about restoring it for laughs. Still runs fine, just needs a little tlc.
I've also an old greenish sit-on bolens. My father always said to not forget, that during WWII Bolens built tanks and they still use the same steel

FF Mode • 800 ISO • Pentax DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM

FF Mode • 800 ISO • Tamron SP AF Di 90mm F2.8 Macro

FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM
Fusilli with onions and smoked ham

Last edited by fs999; 04-05-2018 at 11:14 AM.
04-05-2018, 11:25 AM - 9 Likes   #15476
Veteran Member

04-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #15477
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
I've removed the second shot, I've been using one of Lr lens preset that just changed recently and it was way too saturated in BLue and Magenta to start with, then I used one of my Luminar presets that did add some more saturation and contrast....it was over the top

I've been in love with the IRIX Thingy so far. I had to test it a few times because this brand suffered from bad QC in the past. I went first to Adorama and tried the only one they had in stock. Tested it in their brickwall and this copy was de-centered from my tests. and the left side being noticably softer than the right side. The lady from Adorama was super nice and offered to bring one more copy from their stock, but it would have taken 2 days and I had to leave NYC the day after.
So I went to B&H and they had one copy in stock, tried it (tripod at different apertures etc) and didnt notice any softness or de-centering on this one and decided to buy it.
Since then Im getting used to this lens, I think Im in love with the 15mm FoV on the K1. Seems very natural to me.
I ordered the "cheap" Newegg 30x30mm ND filters to try Long exposure but this is a piece of crap !
Then I ordered the IRIX EDGE 95mm ND1000 filter, should get it in a week or so.

I need to try night shots, astro and other indoor stuff but so far it's been a very good value for me.

Stunning Eaglem !
Im a big fan of your flower pics, waiting patiently every couple days to see what you will bring next !

Some light is doing the magic here...great shot and composition!
Fake(colors like this don't exist... even in my dreams)! Taken with a Pentax? Impossible!
04-05-2018, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #15478
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Fake(colors like this don't exist... even in my dreams)! Taken with a Pentax? Impossible!
Yep that's impossible ! We can't have same dreams, we've got different ones
04-05-2018, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #15479
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jabobby Quote
Eric, holy mufflers taterman, that last B&W with the Irix thingy is super superb.
Here is a shot up thru the aspens.
Best Regards, Bob
Thanks mucho! That is a kewel view up the aspens!!!

Makes me miss the stand of Birch near my old home. If you get that same shot exposed for their white bark against a blue sky with your DFA24-70 @24mm again, I bet it will be glorious! (not hinting or anything...much...do we take requests? I'll hum a few bars if it helps, heh.)
Eric

---------- Post added 04-05-18 at 03:47 PM ----------

Nice shots ! My preferred is obviously the last one

Is that your actual car ?
No...

Thanks. No. 50-135mm
Ooops

I've also an old greenish sit-on bolens. My father always said to not forget, that during WWII Bolens built tanks and they still use the same steel
Wow, so much in common, oceans apart, heh. My brother from another mother. LOL!
04-06-2018, 12:16 AM - 13 Likes   #15480
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Arina, DA*55, DA70 Ltd.

« k1 vs k1ii | - »