Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150735 Likes Search this Thread
04-06-2018, 12:20 AM   #15481
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote

The special thing with digital multi-exposure mode is that it’s different to HDR or PSR mode. In HDR mode three and in PSR mode four raw captures are packed into a DNG container that also includes a generated jpg preview image.

In digital multi-exposure mode the captures are mixed up into one raw image capture similar how it is with film. But in digital you can choose between three „mix methods“: average, additiv and bright. I chose additive which I think simulates the film multi-exposure.
Love the dynamism of that seagull shot, Acoufap!

Last edited by clackers; 04-06-2018 at 12:26 AM.
04-06-2018, 05:23 AM - 10 Likes   #15482
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sunset (DFA 24-70)

Zeus (DA 40 limited in full frame mode)

04-06-2018, 05:47 AM - 11 Likes   #15483
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

Skink

Queen Victoria Lookout, Blue Mountains

Empress Falls (Pixelshifted)

Canyoneer (stacked image)

Last edited by BruceBanner; 04-06-2018 at 07:01 PM.
04-06-2018, 06:52 AM - 8 Likes   #15484
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah, the old days. How would you like everyone to know what you ordered and if you are behind on your tab?
They were way ahead of Facebook and Google for sharing your personal data!

Irix Thingy ƒ/5.0 15.0 mm 1/40 ISO800

Irix Thingy ƒ/5.0 15.0 mm 1/40 ISO800

04-06-2018, 08:56 AM - 10 Likes   #15485
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A sunset in Herastrau Park (with the 24-70mm).

04-06-2018, 10:19 AM - 2 Likes   #15486
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Love the dynamism of that seagull shot, Acoufap!
I like the dynamism too. Seems it could be a nice technique to express the dynamic of sports. By the way - nice beach pictures.

QuoteOriginally posted by jabobby Quote
acoufap, very interesting multi-exposure shots, & great information. That last photo of yours is totally strange!!!
Thank you for the kind words. „Buffalo & Pony“ really looks strange and weird. Although it was an accident I think it shows what‘s possible with some fantasy!

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
I agree, no segregation! Do we need to march with funny hats and signs? Or just ask Adam?

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Yup I do =)

Here's my few purposeful examples lol;
Your images let me think more about the technique with an interesting result.

In your sequence there are two images merged of one black & white and a color capture and I thought you got it somehow in camera by using the multi-exposure mode. I thought, we here have an example that cannot be produced in post processing based on the resulting raw file because the raw file always is full color or full black & white - if we use a monochrome camera (Leica)! ... and I tried it too.

To get such, I thought, we have to change the color profile between the two captures of the multi-exposure. So I tried to do it. First black & white, second selected a color profile. Boom. The camera (firmware Vs. 1.43) stuck!

I had to remove the batterie to get the camera working again. Then I changed the sequence - first color, second black & white. Same problem! So my conclusion is that we can't mix color profiles in multi-exposure mode to get a "mixed" raw file. It even leads to an unexpected reproducible camera error - at least with my K-1!

Maybe I'm wrong with my camera settings and technique. Could you please tell how you got these mixed pictures?

Some more general thoughts about the camera multi-exposure technique:

- Lighting and composition are a real challenge. Dark background helps to separate multi-exposed subjects.
- To get a dark background full control of light could be suitable. Strong underexposure plus use of flash or permanent light source are a technique to get this.
- Also night photography may be a good application.
- „Buffalo & Pony“ showed me that going black & white eliminates color distraction and helps to blend sceneries seamlessly. Look at the fur of the pony and buffalo!
- Concerning composition for precise work the different grids of the live view display should be very convenient.

IMO a very interesting topic to produce artwork. But of course it‘s easier to combine separate exposures in post using masks etc. Guess I never thought that detailed about it.

Last edited by acoufap; 04-06-2018 at 10:26 AM.
04-06-2018, 10:39 AM - 8 Likes   #15487
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM

FF Mode • 100 ISO • Tamron SP AF Di 90mm F2.8 Macro

Crop Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax FA 35mm F2 AL
Penne with tomato sauce and tuna

FF HDR Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax FA 35mm F2 AL

04-06-2018, 11:35 AM - 6 Likes   #15488
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some more in camera multi-exposures - glowing effects and recomposition using different focus points in double-exposures.
K-1 • APSC mode • DA55-300PLM • ...

Last edited by acoufap; 04-06-2018 at 12:14 PM.
04-06-2018, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #15489
Pentaxian

IMO this thread shouldn't be split into "K-1", "K-1 II upgraded" and "K-1 II". I guess, basically the images shown won't be that different. Main differences may be visible in high ISO images.
Agreed. I feel there is already more than enough subdivision such that when I post a picture I am not sure what thread to put it in, there is so much overlap between what I would call the "long standing threads" (eg K-1 Pictures, Monochrome, 50mm Lens Club, etc). As far as picture appreciation is concerned, I don't care what camera was used, and I wonder if the "DSLR Specific" Forums for example were originally intended for technical discussion rather than the galleries which they have partly become.

As far as a "gallery" picture is concerned, as long as it is stated what camera, lens, filter etc is used I don't believe it needs to be in a specific camera thread, and if it uses anything of special interest (like Pixel Shift or a very high ISO) then it can be mentioned in the text. Certainly the K-1 and K-1ii can share. After all, we manage a single "Medium Format" forum with a single "Post Your Medium Format Pictures" thread, which covers everything from 6x7 film, through 645Z, to Yashica TLRs and Fuji GFX, although if we split up that paricular forum or thread, each part could be a bit thin.
04-06-2018, 12:12 PM - 15 Likes   #15490
Pentaxian

Great shots guys!

here is couple from me.

M75-150/4(wide open)

A 24/2.8
04-06-2018, 03:25 PM - 3 Likes   #15491
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A shaded Mottled Orange Rose

04-06-2018, 06:35 PM - 2 Likes   #15492
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the dynamism too. Seems it could be a nice technique to express the dynamic of sports. By the way - nice beach pictures.

Thank you for the kind words. „Buffalo & Pony“ really looks strange and weird. Although it was an accident I think it shows what‘s possible with some fantasy!

Your images let me think more about the technique with an interesting result.

In your sequence there are two images merged of one black & white and a color capture and I thought you got it somehow in camera by using the multi-exposure mode. I thought, we here have an example that cannot be produced in post processing based on the resulting raw file because the raw file always is full color or full black & white - if we use a monochrome camera (Leica)! ... and I tried it too.

To get such, I thought, we have to change the color profile between the two captures of the multi-exposure. So I tried to do it. First black & white, second selected a color profile. Boom. The camera (firmware Vs. 1.43) stuck!

I had to remove the batterie to get the camera working again. Then I changed the sequence - first color, second black & white. Same problem! So my conclusion is that we can't mix color profiles in multi-exposure mode to get a "mixed" raw file. It even leads to an unexpected reproducible camera error - at least with my K-1!

Maybe I'm wrong with my camera settings and technique. Could you please tell how you got these mixed pictures?

Some more general thoughts about the camera multi-exposure technique:

- Lighting and composition are a real challenge. Dark background helps to separate multi-exposed subjects.
- To get a dark background full control of light could be suitable. Strong underexposure plus use of flash or permanent light source are a technique to get this.
- Also night photography may be a good application.
- „Buffalo & Pony“ showed me that going black & white eliminates color distraction and helps to blend sceneries seamlessly. Look at the fur of the pony and buffalo!
- Concerning composition for precise work the different grids of the live view display should be very convenient.

IMO a very interesting topic to produce artwork. But of course it‘s easier to combine separate exposures in post using masks etc. Guess I never thought that detailed about it.
Haha! Thanks I love the fact you tried to replicate the colour/chrome dbl exposure shot in camera and discovered some nice bugs/crashes! lmao I did have a chuckle at that!

In truth I just did that all in PP. I shoot RAW, especially at live music events, so every RAW file starts off colour for us Pentaxians. Then I just applied some monochrome effects (with Topaz I think) and left some parts colour.. kinda. Worked okish here, but you're absolutely right, you could take two separate frames quickly and mask them after, this would probably be even better as it was hard for me to study at points which part to leave colour and which not etc (to get the effect I was after).

I find it interesting how most people like the first shot, I however prefer the dbl exposure shots of the girl at the keyboard.

I don't know what possessed me to try some double exposuring at a music gig, I just felt I wanted to try something different, arty etc. I tried more exposures (3-4), but I felt it became too much of an incoherent mess to being able to really see a facial expression etc.

I do quite like the urban multiexposure shots, I aim to try this out in the future, learn the technique and give it a shot, perhaps it works quite well also with nature such as waterfalls and the like (which I have closer to home than urban settings);

Urban Melodies: Multiple-Exposure Street Scenes Remix Cities | Urbanist

I do have a User Mode set up for Double Exposure shots, I need to learn more about it, the differences between 'additive' etc.

These shots for example are excellent; Double Exposure Photography from Jasper James I don't know if a 'multiexposure' shot actually works well for this vs just two single frames being used postprocessed etc. It might matter more to simply just have the shot taken tripodded, take the first shot, remove the subject matter, take second shot, and then off to PP you go...

It's one of those things I aim to work on in 2018 so that I can know how to do it well for any given situation, whereas currently I am fluking it more (I have taken more dbl exposure shots that I've just scrapped etc).

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Agreed. I feel there is already more than enough subdivision such that when I post a picture I am not sure what thread to put it in, there is so much overlap between what I would call the "long standing threads" (eg K-1 Pictures, Monochrome, 50mm Lens Club, etc). As far as picture appreciation is concerned, I don't care what camera was used, and I wonder if the "DSLR Specific" Forums for example were originally intended for technical discussion rather than the galleries which they have partly become.

As far as a "gallery" picture is concerned, as long as it is stated what camera, lens, filter etc is used I don't believe it needs to be in a specific camera thread, and if it uses anything of special interest (like Pixel Shift or a very high ISO) then it can be mentioned in the text. Certainly the K-1 and K-1ii can share. After all, we manage a single "Medium Format" forum with a single "Post Your Medium Format Pictures" thread, which covers everything from 6x7 film, through 645Z, to Yashica TLRs and Fuji GFX, although if we split up that paricular forum or thread, each part could be a bit thin.
+1 for not seeing a separate thread, it's still a 'K-1' at the end of the day. Perhaps all that's required is a sticky post at the top of each page alerting the fact to stipulate the camera version used in the shot or something?
04-06-2018, 09:55 PM - 11 Likes   #15493
Pentaxian

04-06-2018, 10:27 PM - 2 Likes   #15494
Veteran Member

Home made Yogurt.

Sigma 180mm Macro
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by pentaxfall; 04-06-2018 at 10:34 PM.
04-06-2018, 10:36 PM - 2 Likes   #15495
Veteran Member

some left over
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo