Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2018, 09:33 AM   #16561
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Focusrite Quote
And another few from the trip. The first was taken on Wreck Beach with the DFA 28-105 using a Hoya ND filter, the second was a sunrise from Mt Buffalo over the smoky valley, again using the DFA 28-105, and the third was taken at sunset from a vantage point on the Great Ocean Walk called Slippery Point using the Samyang 14mm - sometimes what is happening on the opposite horizon is more interesting than the main event.
Really great pictures! Did you apply some post processing on the rainbow shot??

05-31-2018, 09:49 AM   #16562
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great shots focusrite!

---------- Post added 05-31-18 at 19:54 ----------

I recently took a trip to the state of Victoria ( Australia ). Got a few pics out of it that I rather enjoy. First pic taken with the DA 15mm SMC ( heavily cropped ), second with the Samyang 20mm, and the third with the Sammy 24mm. Taken on the coast around the 12 Apostles National Park.
that 20 mm shot looks really nice!
05-31-2018, 10:54 AM - 8 Likes   #16563
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-1 • FF Mode • 100 ISO • Tamron SP AF Di 90mm F2.8 Macro

K-1 • FF Mode • 100 ISO • Tamron SP AF Di 90mm F2.8 Macro

K-1 • FF Mode • 100 ISO • Irix Blackstone 15mm F2.4 • Irix circular polarising filter

K-1 • FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax FA 35mm F2 AL • Hoya HD nano CPL polarising filter
05-31-2018, 12:09 PM - 3 Likes   #16564
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the D FA 28-105.

05-31-2018, 01:33 PM - 5 Likes   #16565
Pentaxian

K-1 FA 50 macro 2.8

ƒ16 - ISO 100 - .4s

05-31-2018, 01:54 PM - 6 Likes   #16566
Pentaxian

Here is one with my F 28/2.8, I used brenziermethod with this one too.

05-31-2018, 04:48 PM - 2 Likes   #16567
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Beautiful images Focusrite.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
+1 on that. As for the last image, don't for a moment think you will ever get an opportunity to photograph a sky such as that again. OIAL conditions, and you captured it perfectly.
I agree; being able to capture the full rainbow from that vantage point was a real privilege. Until I viewed it in Lightroom, I was sweating about that photo and hoping that it turned out well!

QuoteOriginally posted by timautin Quote
Really great pictures! Did you apply some post processing on the rainbow shot??
Yes, there has been PP done on that shot; mostly boosting the contrast in the clouds, and bringing the shadows on the shrubbery up, with a few highlights on the bushes dusted with the Adjustment Brush. I also bumped up the temp a notch to get rid of the mild blue in the clouds. Certainly enough to give me pause about misrepresentation ( I do dwell on the ethics of editing, but that's a whole other thread! ), but I'm comfortable that it is faithful rendition of what I remember the scene to be. The colour in the rainbow is 100% legit, though!

05-31-2018, 08:05 PM - 2 Likes   #16568
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glamour in a Rose

05-31-2018, 08:54 PM - 9 Likes   #16569

Love what this camera will do.

I got caught without a tripod a few times and tried hand holding an HDR because the sun was so bright behind the overcast sky. Also Love how it outputs the HDR and high res. shots to .dng insteed of jegs. the more I get familliar with it the more impressed I am. My Nikon hasn't been out of the bag since the pentax arrived.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
05-31-2018, 10:14 PM   #16570
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jtstgeorge Quote
I got caught without a tripod a few times and tried hand holding an HDR because the sun was so bright behind the overcast sky. Also Love how it outputs the HDR and high res. shots to .dng insteed of jegs. the more I get familliar with it the more impressed I am. My Nikon hasn't been out of the bag since the pentax arrived.
Thanks for sharing. Where is this ? and is that a waterfall on the left ?

---------- Post added 06-01-18 at 04:16 PM ----------

And another few from the trip. The first was taken on Wreck Beach with the DFA 28-105 using a Hoya ND filter, the second was a sunrise from Mt Buffalo over the smoky valley, again using the DFA 28-105, and the third was taken at sunset from a vantage point on the Great Ocean Walk called Slippery Point using the Samyang 14mm - sometimes what is happening on the opposite horizon is more interesting than the main event.
Rainbow shot could be interesting in selective colour....great capture as it is.
05-31-2018, 11:11 PM - 6 Likes   #16571
Veteran Member

Pentax K-1 with Samyang 24/3.5 Tilt Shift lens
06-01-2018, 12:37 AM - 11 Likes   #16572
Veteran Member

Unfortunately I was late for the sunset yesterday, too bad because it was above average in colors and there was a very nice big cloud formation.
Being late I then decided to play with the car's lights with long exposure...3 images stacked using ON1 with "lighten" as blending mode.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-01-2018, 03:01 AM   #16573
Pentaxian

Yes, there has been PP done on that shot; mostly boosting the contrast in the clouds, and bringing the shadows on the shrubbery up, with a few highlights on the bushes dusted with the Adjustment Brush. I also bumped up the temp a notch to get rid of the mild blue in the clouds. Certainly enough to give me pause about misrepresentation ( I do dwell on the ethics of editing, but that's a whole other thread! ), but I'm comfortable that it is faithful rendition of what I remember the scene to be. The colour in the rainbow is 100% legit, though!
Thanks for your answer! I'd like to see a rainbow like this one one day !!
06-01-2018, 04:19 AM   #16574
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jtstgeorge Quote

Wonderful shot. The K1-II is a great camera. By far, It is the best bang for the buck DSLR out there. The K1 is the first DSLR I have owned that I felt was as good as or better than film.
06-01-2018, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #16575

Thanks!

I agree; being able to capture the full rainbow from that vantage point was a real privilege. Until I viewed it in Lightroom, I was sweating about that photo and hoping that it turned out well!

I am curious about the perspective of people troubled by the ethics of editing. Are you also troubled by the fact that all photography is editing of reality? Reality is three dimensional and occurs over time. Photography creates a two dimensional representation of a moment of that reality. Nobodies' eyes see reality the way a camera does; when you actually looked at the water - in your time lapse photos - you didn't see a blurred and softened water like is shown in your photos, does that trouble you? Or does the fact that the camera produced that effect on its own somehow absolve you of editing guilt? Is Ansel Adams' extensive post processing of his photography troubling to you? Is a black and white photo of a color scene a "misrepresentation"? Is anything but a clinically accurate color representation acceptable? Lenses filter color, have distortions, flare, reflections, and purple fringing; are these edits of reality troubling or are they somehow OK? Does the fact that cameras, printers, paper, and monitors all have a limited contrast range bother you, or do you just not think about those types of problems while worrying about "misrepresentation"? Does the fact that cameras do extensive post processing while producing an internal jpeg bother you? Is an absolutely flat Raw photo the only acceptable photo? What about the fact that exposure and color temperature in the raw processor enormously change the way the end photo looks, is that troubling? Do you think DaVinci was ethically wrong in creating the Mona Lisa; you do know she didn't actually look like that don't you?

By the way, I really loved your photos - and 'misrepresentation' in art is the very last thing I worry about.

Last edited by HoustonBob; 06-01-2018 at 05:19 AM.