06-08-2018, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #16757
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
smc PENTAX-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM ƒ/4.5 300.0 mm 1/400 iso1250

smc PENTAX-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM ƒ/4.5 300.0 mm 1/400 iso1250

smc PENTAX-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM ƒ/5.6 300.0 mm 1/400 iso250
There are many, many great images in this thread, but this set is stunning.
06-08-2018, 05:53 PM - 7 Likes   #16758
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What? No motorbike?

K-1 and the Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 ZK @ f2.

Some FYI for those shooting manual lenses with their K-1.

Back when I first started shooting Zeiss glass on my K5 I really struggled shooting wider apertures. In the end I went to focusingscreen.com and sourced a Canon S type screen. The fitted spacer for the Pentax focusing screen needed to be swapped out for one of those provided with the screen. Once I did this it made a huge difference for shooting with a manual lens. Unfortunately I had some etching done on that screen to assist framing a scene and these meant that sometimes the exposure metering would be wrong in portrait orientation. Other than this and managing to capture some annoying dust bunnies, the S type focusing screen was a bonus for manual shooting.

With the K-1 I've struggled to get manual focusing correct, even with the aid of focus confirmation. This was especially so with wider apertures on my Zeiss lenses. A few months back I bought an S type screen for my K-1. So far it's sat in its packaging up until yesterday. This was when I decided to 'throw caution to the wind' and installed it in the K-1. Just like last time, it's fiddly (even more so than the K5), susceptible to dust intrusion if you're not careful and after testing I found the spacer needed to be replaced. How did it go? Well the image above was shot at f2 and is from a walkaround I did with some Zeiss lenses to test the S type focusing screen in the K-1.

From this small amount of testing all I can say is I don't know why I took so long to do this as the difference is marked. The ability to quickly identify when a the focal point is correct has returned and from that I might need to add one more spacer to get it spot on. The difference is minimal though so I may just leave it.

A major difference with shooting using the S type focusing screen is I can quickly identify the chosen focal point as being in-focus and can shoot confidently quick because of it. With the standard K-1 focusing screen I'd be back and forth hunting the correct point and 'missing the moment' quite regularly. For me it's been well worth the stress of worrying about duffing up my camera (I didn't) and for the one bit of fluff I managed to capture (which I can live with).

The last test for now was to see if the change would be negative with AF lenses. Accordingly I also tested both manual and AF focusing on the D-FA* 70-200mm for any problems and cannot find one. Set at f2.8 focus was spot on, and in MF was way easier to see the focal point correctly. So all in all if you tend to shoot manual this is a worthwhile change to consider.

Tas

X-post with the Zeiss thread.
06-08-2018, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #16759
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Eric, superb shots, those ants looked like they were on my monitor screen, almost a 3d photo. And the last shot is simply fantastic, great detail on the bug & the flowers appear to be painted, really fine work mister tatorman.
Best Regards, Bob

06-08-2018, 10:45 PM - 4 Likes   #16760
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
K-1 and the Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 ZK @ f2.

Some FYI for those shooting manual lenses with their K-1.

Back when I first started shooting Zeiss glass on my K5 I really struggled shooting wider apertures. In the end I went to focusingscreen.com and sourced a Canon S type screen. The fitted spacer for the Pentax focusing screen needed to be swapped out for one of those provided with the screen. Once I did this it made a huge difference for shooting with a manual lens. Unfortunately I had some etching done on that screen to assist framing a scene and these meant that sometimes the exposure metering would be wrong in portrait orientation. Other than this and managing to capture some annoying dust bunnies, the S type focusing screen was a bonus for manual shooting.

With the K-1 I've struggled to get manual focusing correct, even with the aid of focus confirmation. This was especially so with wider apertures on my Zeiss lenses. A few months back I bought an S type screen for my K-1. So far it's sat in its packaging up until yesterday. This was when I decided to 'throw caution to the wind' and installed it in the K-1. Just like last time, it's fiddly (even more so than the K5), susceptible to dust intrusion if you're not careful and after testing I found the spacer needed to be replaced. How did it go? Well the image above was shot at f2 and is from a walkaround I did with some Zeiss lenses to test the S type focusing screen in the K-1.

From this small amount of testing all I can say is I don't know why I took so long to do this as the difference is marked. The ability to quickly identify when a the focal point is correct has returned and from that I might need to add one more spacer to get it spot on. The difference is minimal though so I may just leave it.

A major difference with shooting using the S type focusing screen is I can quickly identify the chosen focal point as being in-focus and can shoot confidently quick because of it. With the standard K-1 focusing screen I'd be back and forth hunting the correct point and 'missing the moment' quite regularly. For me it's been well worth the stress of worrying about duffing up my camera (I didn't) and for the one bit of fluff I managed to capture (which I can live with).

The last test for now was to see if the change would be negative with AF lenses. Accordingly I also tested both manual and AF focusing on the D-FA* 70-200mm for any problems and cannot find one. Set at f2.8 focus was spot on, and in MF was way easier to see the focal point correctly. So all in all if you tend to shoot manual this is a worthwhile change to consider.

Tas

X-post with the Zeiss thread.
Good info, thanks for that.

So then with all that, do you still get to choose the kind of Viewfinder Overlay stuff to appear on the focus screen? Like can you turn the grid lines off, AF Frame off and what not?

Oh and a couple of offerings here to keep this thread alive lol

Tourists

The Pram
06-08-2018, 11:28 PM - 12 Likes   #16761
Pentaxian

Three Laughing Kookaburras. Laughing on the inside this time!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-08-2018, 11:44 PM   #16762
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
So then with all that, do you still get to choose the kind of Viewfinder Overlay stuff to appear on the focus screen? Like can you turn the grid lines off, AF Frame off and what not?
You can turn them on and off, it's up to you as they're not on the focusing screen.

Well done on the tourist stalking BTW.

Tas

06-09-2018, 12:54 AM   #16763
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
The Pram
Did you use ND filter for turning tourists in to fuzzy interesting objects?
06-09-2018, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #16764
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
Three Laughing Kookaburras. Laughing on the inside this time!
That's a wall award winner Adrian.....a tourism shot for sure.
06-09-2018, 02:57 AM - 10 Likes   #16765
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Elevator selfie.

06-09-2018, 03:31 AM   #16766

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/190-pentax-k-1-k-1-ii/403871d1528540114-post-your-k-1-pictures-imgp0268.jpg

Schacht Ulm 50/2.8 wide open, after a bit of a clean (lens was free with edixa body because absolutely filthy)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-09-2018, 04:10 AM - 3 Likes   #16767
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-1 with the Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 ZK again @ f8 capturing the enthralled family at a local 'gathering of the clans'. I suspect that's the Kerrowdown who slipped into left of frame in the pork pie hat.

Tas
06-09-2018, 04:29 AM - 4 Likes   #16768
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Garden views from northern Ohio

I do not use the 31mm limited as often as I should, but always like the results even when it is not the lens best suited to a particular task. Actually, I became accustomed to the crop sensor FOV on K-3, and only gradually feeling comfortable with its wider angle aspect on the K-1.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-09-2018, 04:56 AM - 4 Likes   #16769

Just got a c/y zeiss 15/3.5 and it has this problem of shade coming into shot on the pentax, because the lens has to be correctly positioned, and also not quite hitting infinity yet. Still up close get very nice result; 6" focus. The daisy is very sharp at 100%.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-09-2018, 05:14 AM - 5 Likes   #16770
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tree and Country Road (DFA 24-70mm)

« k1 vs k1ii | - »