Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Deep deep Red

10-21-2018, 07:53 PM   #21062
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Now why didn't I see all those breathtaking photo-ops when we were in Iceland?
Hi Walt

You did but you didn't

Anyway an outing planned for the camera club was in dodgy weather, one of the normal judges went to the same place a week later in glorious weather and showed his 'wares ' at the next meeting.

Dave
10-21-2018, 10:39 PM - 8 Likes   #21063
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K-amps Quote
Many untold stories of Iceland...

Raging waters... these waves were dreadful scary. I was 20 feet away and could feel the rumble in the rocks... didnt care if Vestrahorn was in the background, all I could think of was the surge...

Fog covering mountains in the distance. Somewhere north of Vik one Morning.

After a Storm at daybreak outside our bed and breakfast

Excellent work (as always), your landscape work is highly professional.

-----

My 'Vello Ringbox' soft flash box arrived today, so of course I pounced on the only willing victim within a 10 metre radius!

The ring flash produces 'interesting' catch-lights, you either love it or hate it, I of course like it very much.
I looked through heaps of Ringflash portrait work before deciding whether it was for me or not, in the right hands and situations I think it performs really well, I'm hoping I can join the ranks of those that master it.
I like all kinds of portrait work, and I like a something that's a little different once in a while.
Still to test how it performs as a standalone off camera flash softbox as well, hopefully I will get some more willing subjects soon.

Can we also please take a moment to appreciate the willingness of our subject, no make up, no preparedness, just 'stand here and do your thang!', she pulled it off flawlessly!

Vello Ringbox (Colour)

Vello Ringbox (Monochrome)
10-22-2018, 02:02 AM   #21064
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
The ring flash produces 'interesting' catch-lights, you either love it or hate it, I of course like it very much.
I for the latter, not keen on that type of catch light

10-22-2018, 02:27 AM - 15 Likes   #21065
Veteran Member

10-22-2018, 02:28 AM   #21066
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I for the latter, not keen on that type of catch light
And that's ok.

I enjoy all kinds of catch-light. I've seen triangle catch-lights because 3 soft boxes were used, looks pretty cool too, and then of course the singular classic kind.
If you stand further back, apply more power, the ring will become a dot, and take on a more classic catch-light effect, I hope to have a stab at this later in the week (as well as getting much closer to the subject for mega rings! ).

I just like all kinds of different portrait work is all. I also like the fact that the Ringbox can be used as a normal off camera flash box and is highly portable making some difficult location shots more possible.
10-22-2018, 02:29 AM   #21067
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Vello Ringbox (Colour)
Would have been amazing with the velvet lens

10-22-2018, 03:18 AM   #21068
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

-----

My 'Vello Ringbox' soft flash box arrived today, so of course I pounced on the only willing victim within a 10 metre radius!

I looked through heaps of Ringflash portrait work before deciding whether it was for me or not, in the right hands and situations I think it performs really well, I'm hoping I can join the ranks of those that master it.
I like all kinds of portrait work, and I like a something that's a little different once in a while.
Still to test how it performs as a standalone off camera flash softbox as well, hopefully I will get some more willing subjects soon.

Can we also please take a moment to appreciate the willingness of our subject, no make up, no preparedness, just 'stand here and do your thang!', she pulled it off flawlessly!

Vello Ringbox (Colour)

Hi Bruce

I know nothing of portraiture or flash use but the ring of light in the iris does nothing for me ...just looks wrong...sorry

Dave
10-22-2018, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #21069
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Would have been amazing with the velvet lens
Bahaha! I would if I could! I actually can't currently get flash to work with the V56 :'(
I must try however, the two together would be the most offensive thing ever to you! >

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Bruce

I know nothing of portraiture or flash use but the ring of light in the iris does nothing for me ...just looks wrong...sorry

Dave
Quite alright, you're not the first and won't be the last
10-22-2018, 04:57 AM - 8 Likes   #21070
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took Charlotte Sunday to a swim meet at Montmorillon and loaded up the car with film gear and the K-1. I was to be there all day and I hate sitting forever in noisy, smelly pools on concrete bleachers, etc.

I took five film cameras (RFs & MFs) with rolls in progress and finished them and at the end of the day I broke out the K-1 with a Tamron Adaptall-2 07A lens (28-50/3.5-4.5 with a PK/A mount). I picked up this lens for a fiver or so at a photo swap almost a year ago ... I had never really tried it out, but I am quite impressed with a lot that it can do ... here are some quick pics that I captured. First one in macro mode ...

10-22-2018, 06:08 AM - 2 Likes   #21071
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

-----

Vello Ringbox (Colour)

Well done Bruce (and Mrs Bruce! What a trooper!) I like the color, but I'd clone out the bokeh ball in her ear...

I understand what others have said about the ring light catch in the eye's, but this may help as a compromise and they may change their minds... One thing learned back when I was doing portraits and weddings: Try to never let the catch light (especially a ring light!!!) be centered on the pupil of the eye, because it makes the subject look wolfish and it unnerves people instinctively (some anthropologist could prolly say why better than I) but at any rate, if you can get that ring off-center a bit, (either put it off center which means not shooting through it, and/or make sure the subject avoids looking directly at the ring light or light source) it will help give your subject some depth, as well as make the eye's look a bit more warm and friendly. Well, that's my .02 FWIW anyway. It's fun watching you work, looking forward to see what you do next.
Eric
10-22-2018, 06:30 AM - 2 Likes   #21072
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just clamming around with high ISO, being the fungi that I am...

smc PENTAX-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM ƒ/5.0 300.0 mm 1/1600 iso3200
10-22-2018, 07:43 AM - 10 Likes   #21073
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New Orleans at Night (DFA 15-30mm/Pixel Shift)

Maverick (FA 135 f2.8)

10-22-2018, 09:46 AM - 14 Likes   #21074
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few from a recent trip.

10-22-2018, 10:05 AM - 14 Likes   #21075
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last night
K-1ii & 15-30

« k1 vs k1ii | - »