Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2019, 08:37 PM - 11 Likes   #25276
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Still trying with my camera trap and fabricated summertime remote watering hole, posting a deer photo before but really hoping for a bobcat.
I've picked up the bobcat occasionally visiting the watering hole on my trail cam (which is monitoring I'm not around) and with a three day weekend I thought I had a chance to capture it with the K1.
I took advantage of the new moon to program the trigger to set off the camera and immediate flashes while keeping the exposure open for an additional 13 seconds to catch the starry sky above and behind.
Unfortunately, I got a 3 am domestic cat (not sure what it's doing out at this semi remote location) rather than a bobcat. My other catches this weekend were a nocturnal rabbit and a moth.
I'm getting frustrated and am just going to call this guy "Bob, the cat"
Thought it was worth sharing given the exposure and stars even though the subject isn't exactly my target animal.
K1 Rokinon 24 mm, Sabre trigger, Two NIkon Sb28 remote flashes with camptraptions wireless triggers.

09-02-2019, 10:23 PM - 3 Likes   #25277
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
Still trying with my camera trap and fabricated summertime remote watering hole, posting a deer photo before but really hoping for a bobcat.
I've picked up the bobcat occasionally visiting the watering hole on my trail cam (which is monitoring I'm not around) and with a three day weekend I thought I had a chance to capture it with the K1.
I took advantage of the new moon to program the trigger to set off the camera and immediate flashes while keeping the exposure open for an additional 13 seconds to catch the starry sky above and behind.
Unfortunately, I got a 3 am domestic cat (not sure what it's doing out at this semi remote location) rather than a bobcat. My other catches this weekend were a nocturnal rabbit and a moth.
Thought it was worth sharing given the exposure and stars even though the subject isn't exactly my target animal.
K1 Rokinon 24 mm, Sabre trigger, Two NIkon Sb28 remote flashes with camptraptions wireless triggers.
May not be the intended subject, but still a great shot. The plan worked it's the subject that failed to cooperate. Think the cat knew you were having difficulties and decided to stand in as a stunt double.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla
09-03-2019, 12:24 AM - 2 Likes   #25278
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I will preface my remarks with the disclaimer that what I have to say is purely a matter of individual taste, and I do not mean to criticize the composition, merely to point out some personal preferences I found running through my brain when I looked at that picture.
Thank you very much for the feedback, another viewpoint is greatly appreciated.
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
The best part of it, by my lights, is the mountain in the center
Yes, that's right. The vertical shot could stand on its own. A vertical 4:3 or 5:4 exposure of the center with a bit more of the foreground included in the frame would retain the essential and accentuate the perspective. Maybe I'll go again to that place mid October (fall colors) would be ideal.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That's a lot of forethought, preparation and post exposure work to generate a single image, but the result certainly justifies the efforts. It looks like a painting = as if someone visualized all the elements they wanted and how they should be arranged.
Thanks a lot. It was a bit of luck actually. I was looking for other spots that I didn't find, and on my way back I stopped there, walked around the lake (lost some time), and ended up with the sun shining from the direction at the back of my right shoulder (checked with photographer-ephemeris web app) between two mountains. Just going out to new places creates luck!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Evokes memories of Bierstadt or Hudson River School painters.
Yep. I think that effect is created by atmospheric haze in the distance + warn tint.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Agree the image is perfect. Never considered the question if there can be too many perfect elements in a single image. Understand dlh's point. Don't know if I agree or not. Usually a picture with many points of interest fails because some parts are weaker and bring the whole image down.
The problem with landscape photography is that we can't move the elements, we have some variables such as the lens focal length, view point, excluding by framing, time of the year/month/day, post-processing but beyond that, either the landscape will work well, average or won't work. For example, I would have liked bigger rocks / water flaw in the foreground, but the only way practical way to achieve that would be to use a wide angle lens; and 28mm vertical is more like ~20mm horizontal with a 3:2 sensor, so that's wide already. I'm looking forward to comments, giving me some ideas of how I can improve my next shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by Patriot Quote
Perfect work, I liked it very much.
Thanks. Truth be told, I browsed your landscape images, they give me some inspiration.

---------- Post added 03-09-19 at 09:31 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
very much in the Hudson River School
That's right, there is some "aerial" effect in my photograph. I'm not sure if "aerial" effect is the correct term, I've read this term in the book "The photographer's eye" from Michael Freeman, that you recommended to me a while ago .
09-03-2019, 01:36 AM - 19 Likes   #25279
Pentaxian

Rainbow Falls right after a thunderstorm, water poured from everywhere,
it's good that the pentax camera is waterproof.
Watkins Glen State Park, NY.

Last edited by Patriot; 09-03-2019 at 01:45 AM.
09-03-2019, 06:33 AM - 4 Likes   #25280
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Panorama of Brunnsee scenery under challenging light, mid afternoon sun partially obstructed by white clouds.
Use of 6 stop ND, 2 stops ND grad, 3 vertical exposures with nodal rail, per-processed and stitched to 100Mpixels, 4:3 crop, downsized for this post.
I just see a beautiful landscape. I love a picture I can stare at a while because I am drawn to look deep into it for more and more detail and keep finding points of interest. Sometimes it is nice to just relax, take some time and stare.

If I had taken this pic, I'd be tempted to send a copy to one of those mail order puzzle places and have them make a 500 or 1000 piece puzzle out of it. It would have kept my Mom occupied for days when she was still with us.

This is an outstanding bit of work Biz, thanks for sharing.
Eric
09-03-2019, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #25281
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did not know you were in the area. The Finger Lakes region of New York has a lot of nice waterfalls. Letchworth State Park is worth a stop.
09-03-2019, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #25282
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I did not know you were in the area. The Finger Lakes region of New York has a lot of nice waterfalls. Letchworth State Park is worth a stop.
Thank you, I know and like this area very mach, but now I am in Holy Land, only 20 miles from Jerusalem .
I do not really like overly popular places, I prefer little-known trails in the forest or desert,
so that there is an opportunity to enjoy the beauty of nature.
In places like Watkins Glen State Park you need to come early in the morning or in the evening,
in the rest of the time there are so many people that it’s hardly to get through, and it’s impossible to photograph something at all.

09-03-2019, 10:50 AM - 8 Likes   #25283
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful shot !

FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax F 50mm F1.7 • Metz Flash 52 AF-1 Digital with softbox

FF Mode • 200 ISO • Sigma Art 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Garofalo Helicoidali with fresh tomato sauce

FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax FA 35mm F2 AL
09-03-2019, 11:00 AM   #25284
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Wonderful shot !
Thank you Frederic!
09-03-2019, 12:35 PM - 2 Likes   #25285
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
Nice shot of the domestic Tabby. Fascinating to see what will turn up at night in the country. Years ago, my wife and drove out to an isolated spot in the countryside to to check out a comet. We wanted to get well away from the city lights and found a place that was pitch black off a little travelled back road.

We had our binoculars and one pair..Pentax ...naturellement...is excellent in it's light gathering abilities. To kill time while we waited for the comet to appear, I checked out the road and adjoining prairie, just to see what I could see.

I was surprised when I could see shadowy animal figures running around...quietly..... I could identify some..fox...mice...etc.

If I had some country property, I think I would set up a game camera. You never know what you might photograph out in the great outdoors.
09-03-2019, 01:48 PM - 8 Likes   #25286
Veteran Member

09-03-2019, 08:07 PM - 5 Likes   #25287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hit by light

09-04-2019, 02:18 AM - 11 Likes   #25288
Pentaxian

The upper falls at Screw Auger Falls, Maine.

09-04-2019, 05:46 AM - 3 Likes   #25289
Veteran Member

09-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #25290
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Great stuff!
The first shot: was this Alex Rins move in the final corner?
Sorry, yes it was, we had a great view of the whole Brooklands/Luffield/Woodcote corners! Superb race!

---------- Post added 09-04-19 at 06:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MotoRider Quote
Wow... those photos have a great story of a great race, to get that last lap move by Rins is perfect.

Well done
Thanks, it was a superb race, really good fun and loads on action!
« k1 vs k1ii | - »