Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2020, 06:41 PM - 22 Likes   #30736
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It was a warm night, I typically find it hard to get quality sleep during the summer months. After hearing the rumblings of distant thunder at 2 AM I threw on some clothes, selected a pair of tripods, packed my K-1 and KP into a small bag and walked out to see if I could get a good image of one of the most dangerous and unpredictable subjects in photography.

This is one of the better shots I got on the K-1

Pentax K-1 SMCP-FA31mm f/1.8 ASPH - ISO 100 1"30s f/4 - [slight crop] image is a hand blended composite from multiple exposures.

Last edited by Digitalis; 11-21-2020 at 06:47 PM.
11-21-2020, 07:29 PM   #30737
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
It was a warm night, I typically find it hard to get quality sleep during the summer months. After hearing the rumblings of distant thunder at 2 AM I threw on some clothes, selected a pair of tripods, packed my K-1 and KP into a small bag and walked out to see if I could get a good image of one of the most dangerous and unpredictable subjects in photography.

This is one of the better shots I got on the K-1

Pentax K-1 SMCP-FA31mm f/1.8 ASPH - ISO 100 1"30s f/4 - [slight crop] image is a hand blended composite from multiple exposures.
Awesome capture. There's even detail in the foreground shadows. Dangerous but lovely.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
11-22-2020, 04:58 AM - 10 Likes   #30738
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Autumn Road (DFA 24-70mm/pixel shift)

Railroad Tracks at Dawn (DFA *85)

11-22-2020, 07:28 AM - 10 Likes   #30739
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a mouthful.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-22-2020, 08:07 AM - 6 Likes   #30740
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An Atlantic Sea Wall and dragon's teeth.

Surrey, in the UK is a landlocked county. Yet it has a 100 metre long sea wall. Built of steel reinforced concrete in 1943 by Canadian soldiers it was for practice before the D-day landings. I would not even like to imagine the power of the explosives used to blow two big holes in the structure. The dragons teeth are nearby and were to stop the advance of tanks.

K1 + DFA 24-70 Processed in Photoshop.

11-22-2020, 10:46 AM - 3 Likes   #30741
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have an early on/off road motorcycle. It's a '67 Matchless G15 CS (Competiton Scrambler) 750 Scrambler. It came with a lighter Matchless frame, skid plate, elongated and beefed up Norton Roadholder forks, low gearing and a Norton 750cc twin with twin carbs, sports cam, etc. They were originally sold in the western USA as desert sleds. For insurance reasons It is classified for the road as an enduro.

If I was younger, I think two motorcycles I would consider, would be the Honda Africa Twin and the BMW F 750 G/S. You're bike looks perfect for , as we call it over here...the Adventure class. I like the metal pannier boxes. I note that the exhaust is close to the pannier...any issues with heat transfer ?
Thanks for your reply! The boxes are actually not metal but some surprisingly strong high-grade plastic. The bike can "rest" on the pannier without damaging it ... guess how I found out!
No issues with the exhaust heat, so far.

The Africa Twin looks like a great alternative, though I much prefer shaft drive. No need for me yet to think about another bike. But the Moto Guzzi V85TT would be an interesting alternative with shaft drive.

I guess your Matchless was much advanced compared to this one
If you ever have a chance you need to visit the British National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham! A fantastic collection of British Motorcycles, all in great condition (with the appropriate "oil catcher" carefully placed under the engine

K1 and Rokinon 1.4/35
11-22-2020, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #30742
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

11-22-2020, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #30743
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-1 with Sears 135

Couiple of shots with the K-1 and Auto Sears 135mm f 2.8, sharper than I thought.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-22-2020, 12:42 PM - 2 Likes   #30744
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA 70mm F2.4 Limited • Metz Flash 52 AF-1 Digital with softbox

FF Mode • 800 ISO • Pentax DA 70mm F2.4 Limited
Onion Soup

FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax FA* 24mm F2 IF AL
11-22-2020, 01:34 PM - 6 Likes   #30745
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A B&W version of a shot from my 2019 motorbike ride to Scotland.
Shot on Islay, near Lagavulin Distillery, while waiting for a tasting

K1 and Rokinon 1.4/35mm

11-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #30746
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buckeyemikie Quote
I'm posting a series of shots of the milky way with some hoodoos in the foreground. This is from my October trip to the Bisti/De Na Zin wilderness in north eastern New Mexico. We stayed late to shoot the milky way behind the silhouettes of the hoodoos. In post, I noticed a bright star rendered as a perfect 8-pt. star. It was the only one so rendered. It was taken at 9:10PM with my FA*24 on my K-1. The settings were 15sec. @ f4.0. Subsequent shots show the same star but with fainter star bursts and then none at all. The last shot was taken at 9:26. In this shot the star burst is virtually gone. The shutter speeds were between 10 & 15 sec & the apertures ranged from f2.0 to f4.0.

What kind of star is this? I could be wrong, but I don't think the shutter speeds or apertures account for the significant differences in the star burst effect. Thoughts anyone?
As mentioned above the bright "star" is Jupiter. At the ten o'clock position the next bright "star" is Saturn. By December 15 they should be almost touching. A quick way to tell a star from plant is the twinkle test. Stars twinkle, planets do not.
11-22-2020, 03:37 PM   #30747
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Self portrait with cat. K-1, FA 77 Ltd, AD400 and octobox. I fumbled for quite some time trying to get this shot, holding the cat with one hand while trying to focus and take the shot with the other hand using Image Sync.

Your efforts were well rewarded. This photo reminds me somewhat of Irving Penn’s style.
11-22-2020, 03:56 PM   #30748
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Thanks for your reply! The boxes are actually not metal but some surprisingly strong high-grade plastic. The bike can "rest" on the pannier without damaging it ... guess how I found out!
No issues with the exhaust heat, so far.

The Africa Twin looks like a great alternative, though I much prefer shaft drive. No need for me yet to think about another bike. But the Moto Guzzi V85TT would be an interesting alternative with shaft drive.

I guess your Matchless was much advanced compared to this one
If you ever have a chance you need to visit the British National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham! A fantastic collection of British Motorcycles, all in great condition (with the appropriate "oil catcher" carefully placed under the engine

K1 and Rokinon 1.4/35
My son's BMW G/S has BMW issue panniers, believe they might be reinforced plastic of some kind. So far, after 5 years of use, no problems.

I agree. I would prefer shaft drive, now that you mention it. Tired of oiling and adjusting chains. My Matchless is one of the last of the factory Matchless' and it isn't all that more advanced than the ancient Matchless in your photo.

On a visit to Britain we did go to the National Motorcycle museum. A wonderful place and one that I could of spent more time at. BTW I have two motorcycles, my '78 Yamaha SR 500 and the Matchless. Only one bike has an oil catch tray under the crankcase. Bet you can't guess which one.
11-23-2020, 08:54 AM - 10 Likes   #30749
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tree on a Misty Morning

Sunrise

Both with the DFA *85
11-23-2020, 09:45 AM - 4 Likes   #30750
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An example where I focus stacked six images of f/11 using Helicon Focus, lens DF28-105 @ 63. Shots from tripod, focus points selected using the display and four buttons. There was a slight movement but the software got it somehow right.

The result is significantly better than every single shot at the different focus points.