Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 72 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for listening to and paying attention to what your customers were wanting. Great specs and very well priced!

02-20-2016, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #77
Veteran Member

These types of occurrences almost always disappoint. A fanatically devoted user base, growing more desperate as every year passes. We had set the bar almost impossibly high and had set ourselves up for being let down.

And yet, Ricoh/PENTAX produced a camera that not only meets our demands, but exceeds them--and at a price that virtually nobody foresaw.

I've been walking around with a huge smile these last few days, and I know why: PENTAX LIVES. Our beloved Pentax is as healthy as it's ever been. So much more can be said, but it all starts with this:

Thank you!
02-20-2016, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #78
Veteran Member

Ken Rockwell expresses negative sentiment on K1 and Pentax Lenses on his website!

Dear Fellow Pentaxians:

Has anyone else read:
Ken Rockwell's Photography News

Since Ken's website is quite influential on the internet and one I follow, I sent him the following response to his rather condemning preview of the K1, a camera he does not have in his possession! Most disturbing to me: The fact that he makes the assertion that Pentax lenses - systemwide - are inferior to Canon and Nikon, yet all Pentax lens reviews on his website are overwelmingly positive!

Here is my original message to him. I have had several, back and forth, responses from him. Yet, none that point out specific lenses that he considers subpar and below the Canikon equivalents:

"Dear Ken,

Greetings from a big fan in Northern California!

I seldom write to you, but I am convinced that you have just committed a big error on the internet by unfairly and without proof, condeming a camera before proper testing, as well as making a sweeping generalization about Pentax lenses that I doubt you can back up in any way, shape or form. Pentax lenses are often superior and at least the equal of Pentax and Canon lenses -according to my own tests! It is easy to test this assertion by me, simply by comparing similar lenses and focal lengths across platforms. For instance, I have pentax K5IIs, the Nikon D7000, Nikon d610, and Canon 70D and 5D cameras and many overlapping lenses - ultra zooms, normal zoom, telephotos, and portrait and wideangle lenses. I have viewed the output both in Raw and superfine JPEGS. Since the Nikon and Pentax cameras use the same sensor, this is the easiest comparison to make. I will give you specific examples. The Pentax 55-300mm WR, beats the new Nikon 55-200m mk. II hands down in the range of 100-200mm range and is sharper at 300mm than the Nikon at 200mm. This Pentax lens is also much better in all areas than my old 70-300mm IS Canon. Further, the Pentax standard zoom, 18-55mm, is sharper, better built, weather-resistant, and has less distortion than the Nikon 18-55mm mk. II and Canon STM 18-55mm. Further, Pentax has some truly superb primes: the 20mm, their 50mm f1.4, your 15mm, the 30mm, and their 85mm, 300mm and 560mm, etc. I have also read and heard great things about their 80-250mm, 16-50mm, 55mm f1.4, etc.

Further, do not underestimate the quality of construction, weather-resistance, cold resistance, and the huge benefits of having built-in IS for all and every lens attached, and 100% viewing on almost all of their camera models! Also, for an old film guy like me and you, the ergonomics are much better -read simpler and faster to operate on Pentax camera, than on the Nikon and Canon comparable versions! Another small detail for outdoor/wildlife/landscape shooters - Pentax makes the only extensively weather-resistant flash units!

Yes, I do concede that autofocus is often, but not always, not up to Nikon and Canon standards, but fine for anyone who is not shooting sports or very low-light events or weddings!

Finally, I could probably make the sweeping generalization - and it would probably hold water - that Pentax cameras have better weatherproofing, are cheaper to buy, have better ergonomics, and better raw dynamic range than all Canon equivalents - and would not be far from the truth! (having processed files to back up this claim!) About the weatherproofing: I shot in Banff National Par, Canada last January at minus 15 degree weather in the early morning and was quite surprised how many other photographers had trouble with their Nikon 810's, Canon 5DIIs, Nikon D800e's, electronics, shutters, and mirrors, while I kept shooting away... Later in the year, while shooting at the Ocean in Washington State, many photographers Canon 5d IIs and IIIs, 700dIIs, and various Nikons did not survive the ocean spray like my Pentax K5IIs and Pentax lenses did over a week of shooting!

My advice to you, be careful about condemning gear that does not suit you style or needs, or with which you have no extensive experience with!

I can rightly say that the Pentax probably has better autofocus accuracy, a much better viewfinder (100%), ergonomics, and great weather-sealing than the Canon 6D and maybe even the future Canon 6D mk. II and is cheaper to boot!"

Note to Pentax Forum followers, Ken still has and seems to like his SMC 15mm, which I understand is a great lens that I, unfortunately do not own! (he is an ultrawide, lens man - just like me!)

If he does give me a detailed response on his opinion on inferior Pentax lenses, I will post it here! Otherwise, I will stick to my personal opinion that his preview article of the Pentax K1 and Pentax lens system is, at best, irresponsible journalism without merit - composed of sweeping, unfounded generalizations!

Lastly, as a serious outdoor/landscape photographer who values low weight and weathersealing, I am still in great need of a a weather-resistant, ultra-wide zoom from Pentax! I am probably unwilling to move up to the very stout K1 and 15-30mm zoom, especially because my second favorite focal length is 400mm in FX, which is a focal length covered nicely with the excellent 55-300mm WR lens! (Already have a Nikon D610 outfit that mostly stays at home!) Some of my work: https://www.flickr.com/photos/l4matman/
At the same time, I am very grateful to Ricoh for this new FX camera, along with many new and great FX lens options...

Last edited by mtgmansf; 02-20-2016 at 07:41 PM. Reason: additions...
02-20-2016, 10:42 AM   #79
Pentaxian

The release of the new K1 is no surprise to me, given Pentax’s track record, and neither is it’s price point. You folks are amazing at coming out with revolutionary cameras that beat the competition in build quality, feature sets, and price points. Kudos on your achievement with the K1, and I can’t wait to see it in action!

Last edited by aitrus3; 02-20-2016 at 10:43 AM. Reason: didn't mean to quote someone
02-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Ricoh/Pentax. Great work and super price on the new FF camera. Look forward to using it with the old glass and, eventually, the new lenses being released.
02-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to the Ricoh team for the K1. I just learned today that the camera will provide lens correction for my FA* 28-70 and FA*80-200.
02-20-2016, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Dear Ricoh/Pentax,

Thanks for bringing the Pentax K-mount back to where it truly belongs: in the full-frame world. The K-1 is really the true spiritual successor of the Asahiflex I, the Asahi Pentax AP, the Spotmatic, the K2, the ME, the LX, the Z-1, the MZ-5, the MZ-S, the *ist D, the K10D and the K-5. Saburo Matsumoto, Ryohei Suzuki, Nobuyuki Yoshida, Tohru Matsumoto, Fumio Urano, Yasuo Takahashi, Jun Hirakawa et al and maybe even Erhard Glatzel will surely be very proud of the new K-1.

Now please let me dream about mounting the following lenses to it:

- SMC Pentax 1:2/28 "Hollywood"
- 58mm f/2.4 Asahi-Kogaku Takumar
- 58mm f/2 Takumar
- 50mm f/1.4 Super-Takumar (8 element version)
- 50mm f/1.4 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar
- 50mm f/1.2 SMC Pentax-A
- 83mm f/1.9 Asahi-Kogaku Takumar
- 85mm f/4.5 Ultra-Achromatic Takumar
- 105mm f/2.8 Takumar (pre-set)
- 135mm f/2.5 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar (6 element version)
- 200mm f/4 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar

And, strange as it may seem, I really look forward to use my SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm on the K-1.

And now that you've kept your promise, I'll also promise you to buy the K-1 and also a set of new fullframe lenses.

02-20-2016, 02:08 PM   #83

Photos: Albums
Ricoh-Pentax, you keep raising the bar. The K3 (II) the most professional APC camera and now the K1, a cat amongst the pigeons! Congratulations on a job well done. I will own a K1 in April, you can be sure if that.
02-20-2016, 02:13 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Four years ago I was debating whether to get a K-5 or to sell all my Pentax gear and switch to Nikon. I waffled for a while, waiting to see what Ricoh would do with the K-mount and the Pentax brand. Now three years after biting the bullet and getting the K-5, I'm now more happy than ever I stayed with Pentax. The K-1 looks like an amazing camera, and better still it's at a price point that I might someday be able to afford. I am impressed by the ability and willingness to define a strategy/niche and consistently execute it. Bravo.
02-20-2016, 04:44 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
Dear Fellow Pentax Forum Members,

As anyone else read:
Ken Rockwell's Photography News

Since Ken's website is quite influential on the internet and one I follow, I sent him the following response to his rather condemning preview of the K1, a camera he does not have in his possession! Most disturbing to me: The fact that he makes the assertion that Pentax lenses - systemwide - are inferior to Canon and Nikon, yet all Pentax lens reviews on his website are overwelmingly positive!

Here is my original message to him. I have had several, back and forth, responses from him. Yet, none that point out specific lenses that he considers subpar and below the Canikon equivalents:

/[/url]
Good response. I went and had a read at Ken's site. What a lot of hogwash on a thoroughly unprofessional website.
02-20-2016, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #86

Thanks Ricoh and all staffs for your efforts and contribution to improve Pentax brand and extend the business with Pentax. Appreciate it!
02-20-2016, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #87
Forum Member

Thank you Ricoh
I have a number of Full Frame lenses ready to go.
Hurry up and post it on your Australian Site so I can order my K1 please!
02-20-2016, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #88
Pentaxian

Thank you to Pentax--Ricoh for the developing the K-1, whose features are thoroughly developed to enable superior results, while at the same time retaining the build, control set ease of use, and attractive styling that Pentax is known and admired for.

As a Pentax user, when I see the Pentax emblem on the front of the K-1 it makes me sincerely proud of Ricoh-Pentax for preserving the Pentax brand and developing such an outstanding new camera.

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-20-2016 at 07:53 PM.
02-20-2016, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
These types of occurrences almost always disappoint. A fanatically devoted user base, growing more desperate as every year passes. We had set the bar almost impossibly high and had set ourselves up for being let down.

And yet, Ricoh/PENTAX produced a camera that not only meets our demands, but exceeds them--and at a price that virtually nobody foresaw.

I've been walking around with a huge smile these last few days, and I know why: PENTAX LIVES. Our beloved Pentax is as healthy as it's ever been. So much more can be said, but it all starts with this:

Thank you!
This mirrors what I was thinking as well, seconded! I'm super excited to purchase the K1 in a few months when I get the funds, thanks Ricoh/Pentax!!!
02-20-2016, 10:29 PM - 1 Like   #90
Closed Account

The K-1 looks to be a winner. Thanks.