Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I generally endorse Tony and this video is no excpetion.

Just a minor detail I'd like to clarify ... He asks Pentax "Why FF, why now?" or so and mentions the emergence of equivalent lenses for APSC.

He's technically correct. But what he seems to miss is that not all options are equally efficient economically. I.e., an FF 24-70/2.8 may simply be a lot cheaper to make than an APSC 16-50/1.8 (the Sigma isn't even 16-50 anyway). And the days were the smaller sensor could make up for it because of high cost of an FF sensor are over.

This is why Pentax has no alternative if they want to stay competitive and I told so years ago. I think have to explain that to Tony

02-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I think have to explain that to Tony
You might also want to explain that he needs to take a quick look at the current Pentax FF offerings. His perception of the lens lineup might change if it were accurate. He seems to have completely missed the five FA models available from his favorite online merchants. I would also suggest that he shoot a few of those outdated pre-digital lenses before dismissing them out-of-hand.

Mind you, I too like Tony's presentations, but on this particular video he was obviously ill-prepared and winging it.

Steve
02-19-2016, 06:35 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
the Sigma isn't even 16-50 anyway
One of my pet peeves about many internal focus zooms. I don't know why it is termed "focus breathing", but FOV behavior with these lenses is not consistent with the external focus primes at the same nominal focal length. My Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 at 70mm and two meters focus distance has a FOV about the same as a 50mm prime. Not exactly what I paid for...grrrrrr...

Steve
02-19-2016, 06:56 PM   #19
Pentaxian

He also classified the HD FA 150-450 as a consumer zoom

02-19-2016, 07:08 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The coverage on Youtube is slim pickings. It is as if the camera was not even announced. No word yet from Tom Hogan, so he is also in ignore mode. Then you have these guys - It is so hard to watch. You'll have to fast forward past the Canon 80D discussion. Enjoy

---------- Post added 02-19-16 at 06:10 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Sorry wrong URL -
- man these guys just suck!
02-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
He also classified the HD FA 150-450 as a consumer zoom
I expect that's because its does not have a fixed aperture that you would get with a star lens.
02-19-2016, 07:24 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Tony is a pretty good guy.
He's not on par with being a Pentax friend as the Camera Store - but he is on par with Kai when it comes to Pentax.
Definitely one of the better "internet" photographers out there.
If I don't hear "Pentaxian" in a review, then I tend to get a feel for how they know Pentax.
02-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rightangle Quote
Sorry wrong URL -
Some times even the "right" URL is wrong is so many ways. Didn't I last see the bald guy with the beard eating jerky with those militia guys in eastern Oregon?

Steve

02-19-2016, 09:36 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I had to chuckle a little in that he characterized the K-1 as bulky. I may be wrong, but I believe it is the smallest FF SLR offering currently on the market and a midget next to any of the Nikon models. He obviously had not considered the published dimensions.

Steve
Actually if you follow the whole line he means that the camera is "Bulky" compared to the Pentax APS-c line. He actually likes it's small size compared to other full frame cameras.

I did not like his statement that older lenses are all garbage when put on a digital camera. That means that the great results I have been getting using my screw mount SMC 55mm f1.8 lens on my K5, K5-IIs and K3 are really not any good at all. I would have been happy in my ignorance if he had not exposed this misconception that I have.
02-19-2016, 10:26 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Whoever wrote his 'Info' cards, whatever they are called that are shown on his screen misspelled 'Weather Resistant'.
02-19-2016, 11:39 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Tony sure is a guy who like to talk a lot, but does not have much to say really. In this 21 minute video he basically just repeat what is written in the spec sheet (which takes like 20 seconds to read) and then he speculate about what he have just read.

His speculations may not be the most accurate though.
02-20-2016, 06:53 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I'm sorry, but as he disagrees with Ken Rockwell over sensor stabilisation, I don't think Northrup is a competent reviewer.
Did he really say that about sensor shift? Oh Lord. Where?
02-20-2016, 08:01 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta Quote
Did he really say that about sensor shift? Oh Lord. Where?
Even better, read what he has to say about the new K-1:

"NEW: Pentax K-1. Pentax' first try at a full-frame DSLR.

It's got 36MP at a sluggish 4.4 FPS with sensor stabilization and two SD slots for $1,800.

I'd pass; a 6D or D750 are superior cameras and parts of superior systems, unless you're counting pixels — but if you're counting pixels, I seriously doubt your photos ever amount to anything. Everything below 50 MP falls into the same bin in my book, and ergonomics and system thoroughness mean far more than pixel count per dollar.

Not that I have anything against Pentax; they've played fourth fiddle behind Canon, LEICA and Nikon ever since the 1970s. I love my Pentax Spot Meters (and Ansel Adams also swore by his), but I can do without Pentax' primitive DSLRs unless I was some Aspergers case hoping to use my ancient manual-focus Pentax lenses. Pentax' manual focus lenses are also inferior to Nikon's AI and AI-s and Canon's FD lenses.

[...]

The Pentax is a paper tiger. It looks great on paper to those with less experience as to what really matters in a camera, but I have yet to see a Pentax DSLR that handles as well as a Nikon or Canon. I doubt they will magically have a brand new user interface that suddenly just works great. I've been shooting long and hard for over 40 years, and some things never change. The Pentax have been loaded with foolish parlour tricks, like pixel-shift resolution, and short on reality like a noisy in-camera AF motor, lack of VR and IS lenses (sensor shift is a lousy way to stabilize images), and a ugly menu fonts and layout.

What would have been much better is if Pentax made a Holy Grail: a Leica-M mount full-frame mirrorless body with the superior tonal and color rendition of a Nikon or Canon camera, the ergonomic brilliance of an iPhone, an excellent built-in flash and a fantastic EVF."

The 'ergonomic brilliance of an iPhone' ... I'm floored, really, 'ROFL' doesn't do it justice ...

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 02-20-2016 at 08:24 AM.
02-20-2016, 08:22 AM   #29
Site Supporter

So far it's the best review from Pentax outsider.
He obviously is not familiar with Pentax cameras, but he is professional reviewer, imo. Well done.
Ricoh needs to send him K-1 for testing.
02-20-2016, 08:47 AM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rightangle Quote
The coverage on Youtube is slim pickings. It is as if the camera was not even announced. No word yet from Tom Hogan, so he is also in ignore mode. Then you have these guys - It is so hard to watch. You'll have to fast forward past the Canon 80D discussion. Enjoy

---------- Post added 02-19-16 at 06:10 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Sorry wrong URL - https://youtu.be/LKsN6-K5jkg - man these guys just suck!
Sooooo..... Which 'Two people' on the forum are buying the FF? Lol