Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #46
Pentaxian

I don't watch his reviews or know anything about the guy's experience so I don't want to make any assumptions. But I did see one of reviews once and he, like a lot of people, said something to the effect ( more than once) that you get "better bokeh" from this camera as if bokeh was a property of the camera and format rather than the rightfully so mounted lens.

02-22-2016, 12:22 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
He lost a lot of credibility when he said film lenses "won't be sharp" on this camera. My K30 has the same pixel density and I'm pretty sure all 6 of my film lenses can easily outresolve the sensor, especially when stopped down a little.
Did you catch the preface to that, where he notes that PENTAX on their website suggests that film-specific lenses aren't as good on digital bodies as lenses designed for digital? He's making the point, which is true, that a lens designed for digital is gonna be sharper. And he closed by saying they may be sharp enough for your uses. Reasons include the coatings, which need to have different requirements for film vs digital, and focusing, since film is obviously more of flexible target than a sensor. Obviously some excellent Leica is gonna be better than a Sears, but all things being equal a lens designed for digital is gonna perform better.

Overall, I think he made some good points, and was quite complimentary. He loved the K-S2. And he's right that Pentax wifi stinks (as do many others). He actually said he thinks the K-1 may be the best landscape camera. Full stop. If anything, he was perhaps a bit too gushing, IMO.
02-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #48
Veteran Member

He extrapolated a lot of of the 'review' from other cameras he had experience with. Pretty obvious what he 'knows' about the K-1 is from the published specs. The whole thing looked like click-bait to me. (not that he is alone in that category)
02-22-2016, 01:18 PM - 3 Likes   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm amazed at the negative feedback on Tony Northrup's preview of the K-1. He is entirely positive in his praise of Pentax and the camera, with the sole exception of the limited range of current, purpose-designed glass. He even praised the few lenses that are being launched alongside the K-1. How is that a "click-bait"?!? I think sometimes we Pentax enthusiasts get so used to being laughed at that we start to see every input from outside our little group as an attack. I didn't hear or see anything negative in Mr Northrup's review - it was objective and (mostly) accurate...

02-22-2016, 01:21 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been following Tony since his early days with Stunning Digital Photography. He has a lot to offer, his opinions are usually well researched, and he does look for data where possible to back up what he says. His opinions are usually not just off the cuff remarks. It's good now that he is finally reviewing Pentax equipment. For the longest time it only seemed like he was looking at Canon and Nikon and then added Sony. Folks should visit the review and encourage him to continue this trend. If you disagree with his conclusions, let him know, and back it up. He is open minded and won't reflexively reject you out of hand. He is also becoming more and more influential and I hope that Pentax has the good sense to lend him some equipment for him to review. It would be some of the most cost effective marketing they could get.
02-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I've been following Tony since his early days with Stunning Digital Photography. He has a lot to offer, his opinions are usually well researched, and he does look for data where possible to back up what he says. His opinions are usually not just off the cuff remarks. It's good now that he is finally reviewing Pentax equipment. For the longest time it only seemed like he was looking at Canon and Nikon and then added Sony. Folks should visit the review and encourage him to continue this trend. If you disagree with his conclusions, let him know, and back it up. He is open minded and won't reflexively reject you out of hand. He is also becoming more and more influential and I hope that Pentax has the good sense to lend him some equipment for him to review. It would be some of the most cost effective marketing they could get.
Good point about the equipment. I've seen some glowing Pentax reviews...and I'm sure a freebie camera helped contribute to that. And he's right to conclude he can't give the K-1 a fair shot without the appropriate Pentax lenses. I've enjoyed some of this more non-brand-specific stuff, and how he doesn't discuss quality without mentioning how much that costs for those of us who can't spend thousands for marginal gains. I think maybe those who've only seen this review might get a better opinion by looking at a larger body of work. Pentax users here actually have rougher opinions on the camera than perhaps he does.
02-22-2016, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

Lets' see ...

1:18 Chunky masculine styling of K-1 will be polarizing? Really?
1:38 LCD tilt seems less functional than traditional tilt screens. And he knows this how?
2:38 If you use APS-C lenses you will only use 15MP of sensor. He fudges on this statement a little later
3:38 First Pentax FF 36.4 sensor do not know what to expect. Previously he said the sensor was a well known Sony imager
7:42 Miss on uses for Manual Sensor Shift - Guess he never shoots macros
8:05 SD card slots are unusual? Really?
9:01 K-1 WiFi is no good because he didn't like it in another model. How about we wait to see how the K-1 implements WiFi?
9:36 Uses the term 'bragging' when speaking to weather resistance. Minimize importance of feature with use of pejorative terms.
9:55 Implies that weather resistance is a marketing gimmick. Really?
9:58 Glad Pentax 'put some effort' into weather/dust resistance. Minimizing again
10:04 100% viewfinder view - don't care about it so ... He doesn't care about it so it must not be important
Starting at 11:00 His take on APS-C vs FF lenses is just wrong ... Completely misses the fact that this 36.4MP is a larger sensor with a larger pixel pitch of 4.9um (not 1.5um) so older FF film lenses with at least 300-400lp/mm aerial resolution WILL do just fine.

All that being said, I will go and watch some of his other videos
02-22-2016, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
Lets' see ...

1:18 Chunky masculine styling of K-1 will be polarizing? Really?
Maybe not polarizing, but some people will love it, others will dislike it, and some won't care. I don't think it's the greatest looking camera ever, but I'm basically in the "don't care" camp as I'm more interested in the functionality.

1:38 LCD tilt seems less functional than traditional tilt screens. And he knows this how?
The screen on my Hasselblad HV (Sony A99) rotates and adjusts more than the K-1 screen mechanism could possibly adjust (though I wonder what I'd ever need that much movement for! ). Having said that, the K-1 screen mechanism looks *much* more robust, which I like.

2:38 If you use APS-C lenses you will only use 15MP of sensor. He fudges on this statement a little later
OK, he could have been a little clearer that the 15Mp crop is one option - but it is the correct option if you want a blanket guarantee of APS-C lenses working as intended. It didn't sound like he was criticising or trying to get one over on us. Well, not to me.

3:38 First Pentax FF 36.4 sensor do not know what to expect. Previously he said the sensor was a well known Sony imager
But he also mentions that while this is the same sensor as in other cameras, Pentax has some other stuff up its sleeve. I'm sure I'm right about that... Either way, it didn't sound negative - just truthful.

7:42 Miss on uses for Manual Sensor Shift - Guess he never shoots macros
Agreed. But at least he mentions it and I think he said it's pretty cool. He could have just ignored it.

8:05 SD card slots are unusual? Really?
Up until recently, I'd have been surprised by this too... but my current understanding (and this may be incorrect) is that CF cards are more prevalent in professional-grade cameras. But again, Tony doesn't criticise the K-1 for this - he just says he is surprised, but then says SD cards are robust and readily available, if not as fast as CF.

9:01 K-1 WiFi is no good because he didn't like it in another model. How about we wait to see how the K-1 implements WiFi?
Actually, what he says is that it's the software - the app - that he didn't like. And he doesn't say it is bad for the K-1, just that the last Pentax camera he tested with it wasn't great.

9:36 Uses the term 'bragging' when speaking to weather resistance. Minimize importance of feature with use of pejorative terms.
Really? You thought that was aimed at Pentax? Hmmm.... OK

9:55 Implies that weather resistance is a marketing gimmick. Really?
No, he just says he (and most of us) have no way of testing this, so we have to take the manufacturers' word for it. He also mentions that Pentax are known for weather resistance - that it's their thing.

9:58 Glad Pentax 'put some effort' into weather/dust resistance. Minimizing again
Sorry, but I think you're being overly sensitive. Really, I do. He's not minimizing - why not take him at face value on this?

10:04 100% viewfinder view - don't care about it so ... He doesn't care about it so it must not be important
I was surprised at his comment on this, but you read it as a comment against Pentax - I just don't think he cares regardless of camera. Personally, I do care about viewfinder coverage, but everyone's different.

Starting at 11:00 His take on APS-C vs FF lenses is just wrong ... Completely misses the fact that this 36.4MP is a larger sensor with a larger pixel pitch of 4.9um (not 1.5um) so older FF film lenses with at least 300-400lp/mm aerial resolution WILL do just fine.
And on this last point, we agree

I'm not pro or against Tony Northrup, but I thought this was a mostly very, VERY positive review, and with all due respect, I think you're taking it the wrong way - and hearing criticism where it doesn't exist...

02-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Maybe not polarizing, but some people will love it, others will dislike it, and some won't care. I don't think it's the greatest looking camera ever, but I'm basically in the "don't care" camp as I'm more interested in the functionality.

The screen on my Hasselblad HV (Sony A99) rotates and adjusts more than the K-1 screen mechanism could possibly adjust (though I wonder what I'd ever need that much movement for! ). Having said that, the K-1 screen mechanism looks *much* more robust, which I like.

OK, he could have been a little clearer that the 15Mp crop is one option - but it is the correct option if you want a blanket guarantee of APS-C lenses working as intended. It didn't sound like he was criticising or trying to get one over on us. Well, not to me.

But he also mentions that while this is the same sensor as in other cameras, Pentax has some other stuff up its sleeve. I'm sure I'm right about that... Either way, it didn't sound negative - just truthful.

Agreed. But at least he mentions it and I think he said it's pretty cool. He could have just ignored it.

Up until recently, I'd have been surprised by this too... but my current understanding (and this may be incorrect) is that CF cards are more prevalent in professional-grade cameras. But again, Tony doesn't criticise the K-1 for this - he just says he is surprised, but then says SD cards are robust and readily available, if not as fast as CF.

Actually, what he says is that it's the software - the app - that he didn't like. And he doesn't say it is bad for the K-1, just that the last Pentax camera he tested with it wasn't great.

Really? You thought that was aimed at Pentax? Hmmm.... OK

No, he just says he (and most of us) have no way of testing this, so we have to take the manufacturers' word for it. He also mentions that Pentax are known for weather resistance - that it's their thing.

Sorry, but I think you're being overly sensitive. Really, I do. He's not minimizing - why not take him at face value on this?

I was surprised at his comment on this, but you read it as a comment against Pentax - I just don't think he cares regardless of camera. Personally, I do care about viewfinder coverage, but everyone's different.

And on this last point, we agree

I'm not pro or against Tony Northrup, but I thought this was a mostly very, VERY positive review, and with all due respect, I think you're taking it the wrong way - and hearing criticism where it doesn't exist...

I just watched his video on the Canon 80D ;-) OK I think I understand him bit better now. He's a full on video guy with all that entails. Electronic viewfinder is his preferred mode so of course a 100% optical viewfinder is meh. ;-) Looks like he's a decent photographer.

I'll be happy to wait until he gives a full-on review of the K-1, but I think I'll be reading Dave Etchells' review first ;-)

---------- Post added 02-22-2016 at 03:33 PM ----------

By the way, When Tony says Pentax 'brags' about its weather sealing technology, he is saying that Pentax is being boastful, pompous and arrogant. ;-)
02-22-2016, 03:38 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

I just watched his video on the Canon 80D ;-) OK I think I understand him bit better now. He's a full on video guy with all that entails. Electronic viewfinder is his preferred mode so of course a 100% optical viewfinder is meh. ;-) Looks like he's a decent photographer.

I'll be happy to wait until he gives a full-on review of the K-1, but I think I'll be reading Dave Etchells' review first ;-)
He he Well, it will be interesting once we start to get some *real* in-depth hands-on reviews rather than the limited "preview" stuff we're seeing just now. At least we know the K-1 is going to be one heck of a camera, whatever anyone else says - we know Ricoh / Pentax well enough that we can assume as much

One thing Tony Northrup did say - which I found surprising, and disagree with - is, why FF from Pentax now? His argument was that with the right glass (read: *fast* equivalent-focal-length glass) on APS-C, you can re-create anything on FF. The reason I disagree is, the lenses would have to be large, heavy and much more expensive. Just imagine... 18-50mm f/1.8... 50-135mm f/1.8... I don't think my pockets are that deep, and the K3 / K3II would be dwarfed by such glass!!!
02-22-2016, 03:53 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Mike:

re: Why Pentax FF now ... yes, I did skip over that one. ;-) It might be hard to explain to Tony the reason. It's about honor. Its a Japanese thing, when you make a promise you keep it. Pentax promised their customers a full frame camera. They delivered. I also agree that this will be a great camera. A real photographers tool.

Should have mine by June!
02-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

Mike:

re: Why Pentax FF now ... yes, I did skip over that one. ;-) It might be hard to explain to Tony the reason. It's about honor. Its a Japanese thing, when you make a promise you keep it. Pentax promised their customers a full frame camera. They delivered. I also agree that this will be a great camera. A real photographers tool.

Should have mine by June!
Congratulations, Rick. I know it's going to be a truly awesome camera, and a piece of future history - Pentax's first FF DSLR!! <applause>

I agree about the honour thing. I also think that people will take photos on the K-1 that just can't be taken on the K3 / K3II because of the lack of equivalent glass (in terms of both focal length and aperture), and the fact that the sensor and resulting IQ will simply be better (none of which takes away from the wonderful cameras the Pentax APS-C community use, of course).

I don't plan on moving to the K-1 just yet - I have my recently-acquired "Sonyblad" for FF duty (and I love it - an excellent, if much maligned camera), and the K3 / K3II both have me covered on the Pentax side of things... but I'm sure in time I won't be able to resist joining you in Pentax FF land
02-22-2016, 07:37 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Did you catch the preface to that, where he notes that PENTAX on their website suggests that film-specific lenses aren't as good on digital bodies as lenses designed for digital? He's making the point, which is true, that a lens designed for digital is gonna be sharper. And he closed by saying they may be sharp enough for your uses. Reasons include the coatings, which need to have different requirements for film vs digital, and focusing, since film is obviously more of flexible target than a sensor. Obviously some excellent Leica is gonna be better than a Sears, but all things being equal a lens designed for digital is gonna perform better.

Overall, I think he made some good points, and was quite complimentary. He loved the K-S2. And he's right that Pentax wifi stinks (as do many others). He actually said he thinks the K-1 may be the best landscape camera. Full stop. If anything, he was perhaps a bit too gushing, IMO.
I agree he did make some good points, and that newer digital optimized lenses will overall perform better since they were designed specifically for such a camera. But sharpness is sharpness and a film lens that resolves more detail than a sensor can capture is "sharp enough" since a supposedly even sharper digital lens can't show any more detail than the "less sharp" one that is already out resolving the sensor.
02-22-2016, 09:45 PM   #59
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only knuckleheaded thing I heard him say was in reference to the new stabilization module. He called it "SR eye eye" ("I I" instead of "2"). That was pretty stupid.
02-22-2016, 10:04 PM   #60
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
The only knuckleheaded thing I heard him say was in reference to the new stabilization module. He called it "SR eye eye" ("I I" instead of "2"). That was pretty stupid.
I caught that too, but can't really blame him. He isn't a Pentaxian. At least he didn't call it SR Mark II :-)