Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 11:34 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Even better, read what he has to say about the new K-1:

"NEW: Pentax K-1. Pentax' first try at a full-frame DSLR.

It's got 36MP at a sluggish 4.4 FPS with sensor stabilization and two SD slots for $1,800.

I'd pass; a 6D or D750 are superior cameras and parts of superior systems, unless you're counting pixels — but if you're counting pixels, I seriously doubt your photos ever amount to anything. Everything below 50 MP falls into the same bin in my book, and ergonomics and system thoroughness mean far more than pixel count per dollar.

Not that I have anything against Pentax; they've played fourth fiddle behind Canon, LEICA and Nikon ever since the 1970s. I love my Pentax Spot Meters (and Ansel Adams also swore by his), but I can do without Pentax' primitive DSLRs unless I was some Aspergers case hoping to use my ancient manual-focus Pentax lenses. Pentax' manual focus lenses are also inferior to Nikon's AI and AI-s and Canon's FD lenses.

[...]

The Pentax is a paper tiger. It looks great on paper to those with less experience as to what really matters in a camera, but I have yet to see a Pentax DSLR that handles as well as a Nikon or Canon. I doubt they will magically have a brand new user interface that suddenly just works great. I've been shooting long and hard for over 40 years, and some things never change. The Pentax have been loaded with foolish parlour tricks, like pixel-shift resolution, and short on reality like a noisy in-camera AF motor, lack of VR and IS lenses (sensor shift is a lousy way to stabilize images), and a ugly menu fonts and layout.

What would have been much better is if Pentax made a Holy Grail: a Leica-M mount full-frame mirrorless body with the superior tonal and color rendition of a Nikon or Canon camera, the ergonomic brilliance of an iPhone, an excellent built-in flash and a fantastic EVF."

The 'ergonomic brilliance of an iPhone' ... I'm floored, really, 'ROFL' doesn't do it justice ...
Thanks I hadn't spotted the last bit, he's obviously added that. I posted about it yesterday. The guy just gets way too bombastic, and then has to backtrack some time later. I remember when he used to call full frame defunct and outmoded. Now of course, he doesn't say that.

02-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta Quote
Thanks I hadn't spotted the last bit, he's obviously added that. I posted about it yesterday. The guy just gets way too bombastic, and then has to backtrack some time later. I remember when he used to call full frame defunct and outmoded. Now of course, he doesn't say that.
I don't even think what he writes is 100% his opinion - no one could be that stupid. I rather assume that by intentionally polarising through extremes he tries to get as many visitors to his blog as possible, thus generating larger income.
02-20-2016, 02:20 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tony Northrup did a preview of the 645Z when it was announced and even suggested he might be buying one with a couple of lenses. He was really enthusiastic about it.
02-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
He also classified the HD FA 150-450 as a consumer zoom
Tony was certainly wrong to dismiss the FA primes so easily.
E.g., cf. this interesting thread here on PF: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/295733-pent...-sony-rx1.html

However, I think he's about correct to call the 150-450 a consumer zoom.

The pro lenses and zooms in that range (200-400/2.8, 500/4, 800/5.6 etc.) are factors more expensive, factors quicker to focus and quite a bit sharper if you really pixel peep. The Pentax 560/5.6 would be Pentax pro offering in this range, assuming it is fast focussing which I dunno.

02-20-2016, 04:34 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't even think what he writes is 100% his opinion - no one could be that stupid. I rather assume that by intentionally polarising through extremes he tries to get as many visitors to his blog as possible, thus generating larger income.
There you go...
02-20-2016, 04:48 PM   #36

Even better, read what he has to say about the new K-1:

"NEW: Pentax K-1. Pentax' first try at a full-frame DSLR.

It's got 36MP at a sluggish 4.4 FPS with sensor stabilization and two SD slots for $1,800.

I'd pass; a 6D or D750 are superior cameras and parts of superior systems, unless you're counting pixels — but if you're counting pixels, I seriously doubt your photos ever amount to anything. Everything below 50 MP falls into the same bin in my book, and ergonomics and system thoroughness mean far more than pixel count per dollar.

Not that I have anything against Pentax; they've played fourth fiddle behind Canon, LEICA and Nikon ever since the 1970s. I love my Pentax Spot Meters (and Ansel Adams also swore by his), but I can do without Pentax' primitive DSLRs unless I was some Aspergers case hoping to use my ancient manual-focus Pentax lenses. Pentax' manual focus lenses are also inferior to Nikon's AI and AI-s and Canon's FD lenses.

[...]

The Pentax is a paper tiger. It looks great on paper to those with less experience as to what really matters in a camera, but I have yet to see a Pentax DSLR that handles as well as a Nikon or Canon. I doubt they will magically have a brand new user interface that suddenly just works great. I've been shooting long and hard for over 40 years, and some things never change. The Pentax have been loaded with foolish parlour tricks, like pixel-shift resolution, and short on reality like a noisy in-camera AF motor, lack of VR and IS lenses (sensor shift is a lousy way to stabilize images), and a ugly menu fonts and layout.

What would have been much better is if Pentax made a Holy Grail: a Leica-M mount full-frame mirrorless body with the superior tonal and color rendition of a Nikon or Canon camera, the ergonomic brilliance of an iPhone, an excellent built-in flash and a fantastic EVF."

The 'ergonomic brilliance of an iPhone' ... I'm floored, really, 'ROFL' doesn't do it justice ...
Bloody idiot
02-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am a huge fan of this husband and wife team (Tony and Chelsea Northrup). I have bought one of their books and have seen lots of their training videos. Tony has done a great job of reviewing this camera. I find him to be unbiased and has great reviews about Pentax cameras.

02-21-2016, 08:13 AM   #38
Veteran Member

What I don't understand is, where are all the photographers who have secretly been testing/using this new K-1? I also shoot Fuji and when the latest X-PRO2 was announced, dozens of bloggers and photographers started reporting on their testing of the camera over the months leading up to the official announcement.
02-21-2016, 08:31 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
What I don't understand is, where are all the photographers who have secretly been testing/using this new K-1? I also shoot Fuji and when the latest X-PRO2 was announced, dozens of bloggers and photographers started reporting on their testing of the camera over the months leading up to the official announcement.
I'd assume most are Japanese. You can also ask kenspo about this, though.
02-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
What we are experiencing is the brilliant (?) marketing by Ricoh, keeping things secret, leaking out in dribbles. It has all of us here panting and drooling, and the slow and steady is catching the attention of others who are curious to see.

There is a danger of being news for the day then forgotten. They are skillfully keeping interest alive until it is released.

I have a vague suspicion we don't quite know what this thing will do yet. No major surprises, but pleasant ones that will push lots of people in the buy category.
02-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #41

Tony Northrup K-1 preview

He seems enthused.

02-22-2016, 09:34 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Third time reposted.
02-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
He lost a lot of credibility when he said film lenses "won't be sharp" on this camera. My K30 has the same pixel density and I'm pretty sure all 6 of my film lenses can easily outresolve the sensor, especially when stopped down a little.
02-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
He lost a lot of credibility when he said film lenses "won't be sharp" on this camera. My K30 has the same pixel density and I'm pretty sure all 6 of my film lenses can easily outresolve the sensor, especially when stopped down a little.
Only one of the countless factual errors, half-truths, and myths he disseminates. Don't get me wrong, we all make mistakes; it's his happiness of spreading them, and his nonchalance in dealing with them, that I chiefly object to. He lost what little credibility he still held with me, when in some apologetic moment, don't recall in which particular tube video, he said something along the lines of, "Hey, we're scientists [sic] here and perfectly happy to correct our mistakes."

Even with the reach of his channel, I couldn't care less if some opportunistic snake oil salesman professes to like the K-1 or not ...
02-22-2016, 11:58 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting but by his questions, he doesn't know Pentax.