Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #1
Banned

Tony Northrup live youtube stream on K-1

---------- Post added 02-19-16 at 10:02 PM ----------

It's over, whole session 51 minutes is recorded here

---------- Post added 02-19-16 at 10:04 PM ----------

Sorry for possible mistakes I'm not yet familiarized with youtube live streaming.

02-19-2016, 02:06 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Just confirmed my view that videos of people sitting in front of computers talking about products they have not touched and are not demonstrating are pretty damn boring ...
02-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #3

While I don't think Tony Northrup has some sort of "anti-Pentax bias" (if you want to see that, check out SLRLounge's posting, absolutely tepid), it seems pretty weird for a guy that changes the camera the films his show with as many times as he changes pants to complain about budget for the reason of not reviewing them. Every episode has some sort of piece of expensive photography device with an exotic lens sitting on the desk, almost as some sort of subtle boast about the amount of gear the guy owns.
02-19-2016, 02:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thanks for the link!

02-19-2016, 02:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Watching it now. Never heard of the host. I'm just a few minutes in, but he sounds pretty positive so far.
02-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
While I don't think Tony Northrup has some sort of "anti-Pentax bias" (if you want to see that, check out SLRLounge's posting, absolutely tepid), it seems pretty weird for a guy that changes the camera the films his show with as many times as he changes pants to complain about budget for the reason of not reviewing them. Every episode has some sort of piece of expensive photography device with an exotic lens sitting on the desk, almost as some sort of subtle boast about the amount of gear the guy owns.
Well, I think he and his wife personally shoot with Canon, Nikon and Sony, so aside from using it as decoration and reviewing it, they will actually put it to good use later. I doubt they are considering using a third FF DSLR system alongside what they already have, so spending $5,400 on the K1 and 24-70 + 70-200 just for a couple of reviews really does not make sense to them.

Now, as far as I know there is some Joe (?) guy from Ricoh Imaging US who some people here are frequently in contact with and who gets people new cameras and lenses when Precision ruins them. Anyone wants to shoot him a message and point out the popularity the Northrup channel enjoys (about 434,000 subscribers) and how it would be a wise choice to send them some gear to review?
02-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes he definitely needs to review the equipment and have more information on Pentax in general, that video shows just how little he knows of Pentax.

02-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Well, I think he and his wife personally shoot with Canon, Nikon and Sony, so aside from using it as decoration and reviewing it, they will actually put it to good use later. I doubt they are considering using a third FF DSLR system alongside what they already have, so spending $5,400 on the K1 and 24-70 + 70-200 just for a couple of reviews really does not make sense to them.

Now, as far as I know there is some Joe (?) guy from Ricoh Imaging US who some people here are frequently in contact with and who gets people new cameras and lenses when Precision ruins them. Anyone wants to shoot him a message and point out the popularity the Northrup channel enjoys (about 434,000 subscribers) and how it would be a wise choice to send them some gear to review?
Agree, I think he is in general positive about Pentax.
He did K-S2 tutorial video 67 minutes in lenght
He did some comparisons pentax vs nikon vs canon like this one
He even did a review of Pentax Q7.
My favourite video is this one
02-19-2016, 02:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes, I think giving him some gear would be a great way to increase Pentax' exposure. But then again, Pentax' marketing has always ranged from mediocre to atrocious, so not too sure they would take this opportunity if someone rubbed it in their face
02-19-2016, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Watching it now. Never heard of the host.
I have seen his youtube videos before, the most compelling was where he extracted very usable results from (IIRC) a Pentax K200D with 18-55 kit in comparison to a FF Nikon with much nicer lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Well, I think he and his wife personally shoot with Canon, Nikon and Sony
I believe you are correct. FWIW, I much prefer when his wife has screen time (not much for the John Derek look)

Steve
02-19-2016, 03:29 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
My favourite video is this one
Yes! that one!
02-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #12

That's a bloody fair preview. Hats off for impartiality!
02-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm sorry, but as he disagrees with Ken Rockwell over sensor stabilisation, I don't think Northrup is a competent reviewer.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Rockwell:
(sensor shift is a lousy way to stabilize images)
02-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I enjoyed his talk.
02-19-2016, 05:26 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta Quote
That's a bloody fair preview. Hats off for impartiality!
I had to chuckle a little in that he characterized the K-1 as bulky. I may be wrong, but I believe it is the smallest FF SLR offering currently on the market and a midget next to any of the Nikon models. He obviously had not considered the published dimensions.

Steve