Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The trick with facebook is... you don't have to share what you don't want to share. So don't give them a full photo of you, or your phone number, DoB, Educatiom, Employer, location, address, or even your main email address (I have a couple email addresses just for contests and the sort) if you don't want. Occasionally FB will bug you to add it but you dont HAVE to... and then you can still enter the contests.

But I wouldn't hold my breath on winning the K-1.. wayy too many solid entries in there. Yet, on the other hand, someone has to win.. and I've seen photos I considered super terrible win photo contests over much more refined shots. So it is still possible..
If he is hesitant to reveal himself publicly on a social media forum, heaven help him remain private if he wins the K-1. The entire global Pentax community will know a whole heck of a lot about him.

04-17-2016, 09:00 PM   #32
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If he is hesitant to reveal himself publicly on a social media forum, heaven help him remain private if he wins the K-1. The entire global Pentax community will know a whole heck of a lot about him.
Just name, fb profile photo, and probably city, state at most... unless he adds more to the FB entry. If you don't link name to screen name you could theoretically stay anonymousish.. I doubt it would be similar to winning the lottery where 'long lost cousins' come out of the woodwork to plead for money..
04-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #33
Pentaxian

The issue is much more subtle than that. When I first joined FB, they required first name, last name, and birthdate. My daughter suggested that I could put in false information, but reading through both sets of rules, I believe Ricoh could invalidate any entry with false information, so that would potentially be a wasted effort, and I could not have enjoyed the contest {and as I indicated earlier, given the odds, enjoyment would be the primary purpose for entering} if I had doubts about the validity of my entry. In the meantime, I have put all in one place, much of the information needed to steal my identity in some form or another. My-daughter-the-librarian has been studying on-line security issues, and has discovered that FB admits to storing various information about every time someone goes to FB, including the name of the computer used {useful for hacking into that computer} and signal strength, and neither of us can come up with a good reason, related to the services they provide, for them to be keeping much of that information, so ultimately I view FB as a security nightmare, and certainly not worth whatever enjoyment I could get from the contest.

To end this on the right note, I do applaud Ricoh for running this contest, perhaps adding to those aware of the K-1 and definitely further lifting the spirits of the Pentax community. It is a wonderful thing for those who are already deep into social media, just not for me.
04-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #34
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The issue is much more subtle than that. When I first joined FB, they required first name, last name, and birthdate. My daughter suggested that I could put in false information, but reading through both sets of rules, I believe Ricoh could invalidate any entry with false information, so that would potentially be a wasted effort, and I could not have enjoyed the contest {and as I indicated earlier, given the odds, enjoyment would be the primary purpose for entering} if I had doubts about the validity of my entry. In the meantime, I have put all in one place, much of the information needed to steal my identity in some form or another. My-daughter-the-librarian has been studying on-line security issues, and has discovered that FB admits to storing various information about every time someone goes to FB, including the name of the computer used {useful for hacking into that computer} and signal strength, and neither of us can come up with a good reason, related to the services they provide, for them to be keeping much of that information, so ultimately I view FB as a security nightmare, and certainly not worth whatever enjoyment I could get from the contest.

To end this on the right note, I do applaud Ricoh for running this contest, perhaps adding to those aware of the K-1 and definitely further lifting the spirits of the Pentax community. It is a wonderful thing for those who are already deep into social media, just not for me.
That's potentially ANY account online.. Facebook, Target, Walmart, Amazon, B&H, Adorama, ...PentaxForums..

Check this article for instance: Forbes Welcome

Google records what you search for based off your account there (as well as IP I'm sure even if not logged in to your google account).. they would also know OS, browser, time of day particular things are searched for in addition to what is searched.. The IP would give them location..

There are a couple dozen marketing/advertising firms that store cookies logging the same stuff.. which is why if you search for 2016 Chevrolet Spudrums, in the ad banners on some pages you'll see 2016 Chevrolet Spudrums listed.

So you already have a huge paper trail.. a facebook account with your name and location isn't going to change much. ..unless you start sharing much more than that.

04-18-2016, 06:12 PM   #35
Pentaxian

That's potentially ANY account online.. Facebook, Target, Walmart, Amazon, B&H, Adorama, ...PentaxForums..

Check this article for instance: Forbes Welcome

Google records what you search for based off your account there (as well as IP I'm sure even if not logged in to your google account).. they would also know OS, browser, time of day particular things are searched for in addition to what is searched.. The IP would give them location..

There are a couple dozen marketing/advertising firms that store cookies logging the same stuff.. which is why if you search for 2016 Chevrolet Spudrums, in the ad banners on some pages you'll see 2016 Chevrolet Spudrums listed.

So you already have a huge paper trail.. a facebook account with your name and location isn't going to change much. ..unless you start sharing much more than that.
FB is one of the few I can remember requiring me to provide my birthdate. Places like this one don't require {and do not get} my correct full name. I use a different name here from what I use at another photo discussion forum. I never allow a retailer such as B&H or Amazon to keep my credit card number. I maintain two different email accounts - a Yahoo account I use for hobby stuff {like here} and to buy things, and an Outlook account used mostly at LinkedIn and to communicate with family/friends {Outlook replaced Google because Google's primary business is selling information}. I use various search engines - kind of randomly. In short, I do what I can to compartmentalize information about me, and FB goes way beyond the pale. {BTW -I'm also not switching to Win10 - when it gets to the point where I don't have any option, I will switch to a mosly Linux system and use Win10 only for things that can be done no other way}
04-18-2016, 06:37 PM   #36
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
FB is one of the few I can remember requiring me to provide my birthdate. Places like this one don't require {and do not get} my correct full name. I use a different name here from what I use at another photo discussion forum. I never allow a retailer such as B&H or Amazon to keep my credit card number. I maintain two different email accounts - a Yahoo account I use for hobby stuff {like here} and to buy things, and an Outlook account used mostly at LinkedIn and to communicate with family/friends {Outlook replaced Google because Google's primary business is selling information}. I use various search engines - kind of randomly. In short, I do what I can to compartmentalize information about me, and FB goes way beyond the pale. {BTW -I'm also not switching to Win10 - when it gets to the point where I don't have any option, I will switch to a mosly Linux system and use Win10 only for things that can be done no other way}
I understand and agree.

But even if they don't hold the CC they have record of your account using that card and buying items X Y and Z with that card with that name on it and that billing address. Unless you use different cards with different names/addresses for different purchases on multiple accounts, with some kind of IP masking, they have a nice profile on you. But that would be a bit extreme to avoid I think.

I wouldn't even bother worrying about it to that extreme. Your ID profile has been generated multiple times for multiple businesses.. unless you do business solely with cash then there is a trail(s) for everyone.
04-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
If you are on Facebook, over 21 and live in Canada (excluding Quebec) or US here might be your chance to win a FREE K-1!

https://www.facebook.com/RicohImaging/photos/a.173724382692.132787.101083642...53203631237693

Good Luck!

Thanks.

Last edited by solar1; 04-19-2016 at 09:01 AM. Reason: no longer useful, thanks.
04-18-2016, 06:57 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

unless you do business solely with cash then there is a trail(s) for everyone.
and Big Daddy* really wants to keep track of everything you buy. It won't be long before cash is outlawed - to 'cut down on criminal cash transactions such as drugs, guns and terrorism' - of course.

* We're from The Government, and we're here to help you.
04-18-2016, 07:03 PM   #39
Pentaxian

and Big Daddy* really wants to keep track of everything you buy. It won't be long before cash is outlawed - to 'cut down on criminal cash transactions such as drugs, guns and terrorism' - of course.

* We're from The Government, and we're here to help you.
Back in the day, I worked for a defense contractor. The DoD had hired a firm to come in and oversee our work.
When their guy first arrived, he held out his hand, and with a big laugh he said, "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you."
He turned out to be very reasonable, as demonstrated by his humorous self-introduction.