Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-28-2016, 03:43 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
If you are on Facebook, over 21 and live in Canada (excluding Quebec) or US here might be your chance to win a FREE K-1!

https://www.facebook.com/RicohImaging/photos/a.173724382692.132787.101083642...53203631237693

Good Luck!
I think I am quite slow. Where do you actually post for the contest, and are the submissions open to public view. I haven't seen any so either I'm doing something wrong or I am posting incorrectly.

02-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Themdragons Quote
I think I am quite slow. Where do you actually post for the contest, and are the submissions open to public view. I haven't seen any so either I'm doing something wrong or I am posting incorrectly.
All you have to do is make a post on the Ricoh Imaging facebook page (news feed) containing your submission. Submissions should be publicly viewable.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Full rules:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/ricoh-imaging/k-1-photo-essay-contest/10153223847757693
03-04-2016, 04:51 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BryanWB Quote
I can't enter competition for give-away of the new Pentax K-1 DSLR, because I'm in England, UK
And I can't enter because I'm not a member of Facebook. Oh, well, I probably also don't have a picture they'd like or my words wouldn't be smaltzy enough, or ...

03-05-2016, 06:14 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am a member of facebook by compulsion but I hate having to post there.
03-07-2016, 08:21 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Has anyone found the Photo Entry Specifications mentioned in 4-c-ii?

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
And I can't enter because I'm not a member of Facebook.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I am a member of facebook by compulsion but I hate having to post there.
I'm actually thinking of creating a mostly-empty Facebook account just for the joy of participating in this contest.
That wouldn't help Pentax much, since my "Like" wouldn't direct any "friends" to their site, but it would increase their count by one.
The downside is that I'm sure someone would feel obligated to criticize my contribution.
04-15-2016, 04:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

This ends on Tuesday. How do you see what people have entered? People keep saying enter on the News Feed but there is nothing I can find that indicates News Feed. Not a Facebook user so the whole thing is completely confusing to me.

04-15-2016, 05:13 PM   #23
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
This ends on Tuesday. How do you see what people have entered? People keep saying enter on the News Feed but there is nothing I can find that indicates News Feed. Not a Facebook user so the whole thing is completely confusing to me.
Theres a bout 20 kabillion entrants.. they are on the left side it seems. At least if those are all entrants.
04-15-2016, 05:44 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even THIS can't make me go on Facebook.
04-15-2016, 06:01 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Even THIS can't make me go on Facebook.
I'm seriously thinking of getting what my daughter calls a "dummy account".
No, she's not calling me a dummy, at least not this time.
It would be an account with name and email address, but absolutely nothing else.
I started on that project 13 days and 20 hours ago, but I accidentally put too much in.
Removing stuff is almost impossible.
When I terminated the account, they told me that it would take them 14 days, and I can change my mind {please, please} in the meantime.
I another few hours I might try again {I don't want to create yet another email account, and the one I want to use is tied up until FB finally kills off the first attempt..
04-15-2016, 07:20 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can't do just a little.

Well I can't do just a little.
04-15-2016, 08:47 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Theres a bout 20 kabillion entrants.. they are on the left side it seems. At least if those are all entrants.
The more I hear, the less I think the K-1 would be a good choice for me, so I'm not sure why I would even want to enter this contest. I'm going to leave it for more deserving contestants.

In theory, the K-1 should be good for wide-angle photography, but I already have a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 that meets my wide-angle needs. I don't use it very often, but I'm getting my value from it. Getting a "comparable" FF lens, namely an FF-compliant 15mm lens, would cost me much more.

I do much more telephoto shooting. The only FF-compliant telephoto lens I have is a 60-300mm f/3.8-5.4 AdaptAll lens. I could handle the manual-everything aspects of that lens - in fact, today I posted on Rupert's squirrels thread four pictures I took with that lens - but I'm thinking that my more modern Sigma 70-300mm f/f-5.6 APO and Pentax-DA 55-300 f/4-5.8 ED WR lenses are probably somewhat better. In order to get the range I currently have, I would need to spend $$$$ for the new 150-450mm lens; I'm sure that lens is better than what I have, but again at considerable cost.

Thus, even if I received the free K-1 + kit lens, the cost to me of returning to my current capabilities would be more than I have spent on cameras over the past twenty years ... we have the funds to do that, but we have so many other uses for that money.

On the other side of the balance, I would have to deal with FaceBook. As I commented elsewhere here, when this contest first became known, I started working on a low-level FB membership. As I went through the process, I decided that they had lured me into giving them more information than I had intended, so I told them to delete that account. Only tonight did that deletion finally take place. As soon as I started to create a new new account, they apparently started taking information from the supposedly deleted account. I did manage to create an account with just first initials, last name, and birthdate information, but their apparent remembering of the other stuff bothers me. Even their requiring the complete birthdate is very bothersome to me, because that is one of the primary pieces of information used in stealing a person's identity. My daughter, who is a librarian, has been studying privacy issues connected with FB; she tells me that they admit to keeping track of the name of the computer you use each time you connect with them, which could be how they connected the two sets of information despite the fact that I cleaned out cookies twice in the two weeks since I last used the first account. If I were guaranteed a K-1, this might be worth it, but certainly not at realistic odds.

So, I'm giving up on the fun of this contest to those of you who are more adventuresome. I'm going to wait and see if Pentax can come up with something more appropriate for me.

BTW - I was also not impressed at all by Ricoh's FB effort. It may just be me, but when I entered directly from Ricoh's website, rather than from the link provided here, I kept wandering off into Japanese language stuff. I hope their marketing effort can have a little more effective reach than that.
04-15-2016, 10:38 PM   #28
mee
Veteran Member

Mathematically, one probably has a better probability of hitting a pick 3 scratch off lottery than this contest. There are just too many entrants and a ton of good photos and/or sentimental/sob stories.
04-17-2016, 12:59 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Mathematically, one probably has a better probability of hitting a pick 3 scratch off lottery than this contest. There are just too many entrants and a ton of good photos and/or sentimental/sob stories.
In all fairness, I should post something beyond my "why I'm not competing" post above. Ultimately, my decision to not compete was a combination of three factors {the odds stated here, the cost to me above and beyond the camera, and the cost to me of having a FB account}; the issues with FB were, by far, dominant in my decision not to compete. The Pentaxian world has been really energized by the K-1; "competing" in this contest is a way that we could all have fun together, and ultimately I'm disappointed that I had to decide not to compete. It is great that users will give Pentax lots more material for their advertising {and what they choose will tell us a lot about how they are thinking}. If I had competed, I would have submitted a picture taken during a snowstorm and a few words about how wonderful it is to be able to use a Pentax camera, at any level, under any and all conditions.
04-17-2016, 06:39 PM   #30
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In all fairness, I should post something beyond my "why I'm not competing" post above. Ultimately, my decision to not compete was a combination of three factors {the odds stated here, the cost to me above and beyond the camera, and the cost to me of having a FB account}; the issues with FB were, by far, dominant in my decision not to compete. The Pentaxian world has been really energized by the K-1; "competing" in this contest is a way that we could all have fun together, and ultimately I'm disappointed that I had to decide not to compete. It is great that users will give Pentax lots more material for their advertising {and what they choose will tell us a lot about how they are thinking}. If I had competed, I would have submitted a picture taken during a snowstorm and a few words about how wonderful it is to be able to use a Pentax camera, at any level, under any and all conditions.
The trick with facebook is... you don't have to share what you don't want to share. So don't give them a full photo of you, or your phone number, DoB, Educatiom, Employer, location, address, or even your main email address (I have a couple email addresses just for contests and the sort) if you don't want. Occasionally FB will bug you to add it but you dont HAVE to... and then you can still enter the contests.

But I wouldn't hold my breath on winning the K-1.. wayy too many solid entries in there. Yet, on the other hand, someone has to win.. and I've seen photos I considered super terrible win photo contests over much more refined shots. So it is still possible..