Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 04:30 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
After all, whether or not you think it to be true, cameras are status symbols for everyone -- even most pros.

Michael
I completely agree. And it's yet another reason I shoot Pentax

-Heie

02-19-2016, 05:01 PM   #17
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
And it's yet another reason I shoot Pentax

Nice pic, Alex. Definitely a "pro shooter"!
02-19-2016, 05:07 PM   #18
Pentaxian

For studio work, TTL flash is not all that important -- most studio photographers use manual settings -- as do almost all of the "strobists" types.
I agree, Although there are a considerable number of strobe makers that now support TTL exposure systems with select makes of camera. The reasons for this is due to the protocols needed for precisely timing HSS - because not everyone can afford a Leica S2 or phase one XF

After all, whether or not you think it to be true, cameras are status symbols for everyone -- even most pros.
If this wasn't true Leica and Hasselblad would have gone the way of Patrika,Contax,Minox or Minolta.
02-19-2016, 05:23 PM   #19
Pentaxian

If a person wants to buy and use excellent equipment, Pentax products are available now, and have been in the past, in camera and lens form. A beginner could order a K-3II, K-1, or 645Z tomorrow, and have a great deal to look forward to. Along with experienced camera users who have equipment, there are also new users who buy their first DSLR and a lens. The K-1 is a new member in an extensive lineup of Pentax products. If a person utilizes it properly, they will get proper results/images. The capability of excellence is in Pentax products at the technological/performance level. The K-1 is the newest example in a Full Frame format.

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-19-2016 at 08:02 PM.
02-19-2016, 06:42 PM   #20
Site Supporter

AF and DR "good enough"????

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm really curious about this sensor. Will the high ISO be useful and will you be able to meter for highlights and pull up shadows five stops without sacrificing noise?

Will the AF be any good? Fast in low light? Reliable enough for professional work?

I just sold my K5IIs and am ready to go full frame - I, like you all, have been waiting for this camera for years and love this community. But now in the moment I am left wondering if my hard earned dollars would be better spent on a soulless yet reliable d750- or to fall on my sword and get the K-1 (always knowing that I followed my passion, but knowing that my camera will betray me in a critical moment).

I hope there winds up being no such trade off- and I'm sorry to ramble- but does anybody else worry about these things? Thoughts?
02-19-2016, 06:58 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Xeexon Quote
... but knowing that my camera will betray me in a critical moment.
Depends on which moment - taking an amazing landscape photograph? No, it won't betray you. Taking images in a blizzard or torrential downpour? Another no. Will it betray you when you're trying to shoot a dog running towards you? Or a sprinter? Well ... yes, probably
02-19-2016, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

All this talk about the reasons professional photographers won't switch reminds me of the discussions here about how the DSLR market is saturated.

Such talk completely ignores new markets, which include new photographers in existing markets and aspirants in new markets. Some of those in each case will be professionals, some of whom will be full-time, some part-time, and some merely aspirational.

For those who missed the point, I'll re-phrase it: the professional market does not consist of a static group of immortals in mature economies.
02-19-2016, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Xeexon Quote
...always knowing that I followed my passion, but knowing that my camera will betray me in a critical moment...
Give me a second to quit laughing...Nikon currently has the highest fault/failure rate in the industry...

Steve

02-19-2016, 09:20 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
the professional market does not consist of a static group of immortals in mature economies.
Now you've done it. You have burst my bubble in a major way. All these years thinking that if I was ever able to monetize my hobby I would transcend this mortal sphere and in a few words you shatter my dream. Time to talk to the mortician for a little "pre-need" counseling...

Steve
02-19-2016, 09:21 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
All this talk about the reasons professional photographers won't switch reminds me of the discussions here about how the DSLR market is saturated.

Such talk completely ignores new markets, which include new photographers in existing markets and aspirants in new markets. Some of those in each case will be professionals, some of whom will be full-time, some part-time, and some merely aspirational.

For those who missed the point, I'll re-phrase it: the professional market does not consist of a static group of immortals in mature economies.
That has been my thoughts exactly everyone acts like there is no new photogs looking to become pros that have not tied their selves to a system.
02-19-2016, 09:24 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Will it betray you when you're trying to shoot a dog running towards you? Or a sprinter? Well ... yes, probably
You cant know this until the camera is fully tested on field.. as far as we know AF was totally renew, but we havent try it so it could eventually give us a great surprice.
02-19-2016, 09:44 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Now you've done it. You have burst my bubble in a major way. All these years thinking that if I was ever able to monetize my hobby I would transcend this mortal sphere and in a few words you shatter my dream. Time to talk to the mortician for a little "pre-need" counseling...

Steve
You forget the lionisation of people like Adams, Beaton, Capa and Lange, who are, in the sense of their works, "immortal". All you have to do is to become "great", and immortality is guaranteed. No counselling is required.
02-19-2016, 11:45 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Will keep it short and Sweet. Now that Pentax has the K1, there is no reason that the professionals out there won't come onboard...

Now it is up to Ricoh-Pentax to build their professional service network.

:-)
Great to see you again!

02-20-2016, 12:27 AM - 3 Likes   #29
Site Supporter

Professionals not changing brands? Sorry, someone who does this for a living will change brands at the drop of a hat if they think it will give them an edge. Ask the OP, or Kenspo. I have a friend who does nicely as a landscape photographer. Always been a Canon guy until the d800 came out. He took one look and sold his Canon gear without another thought.
It is only enthusiasts who argue about their gear. When there is money on the line only results matter.
02-20-2016, 12:33 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
You cant know this until the camera is fully tested on field.. as far as we know AF was totally renew, but we havent try it so it could eventually give us a great surprice.
Well the old saying is "you are only as good as your last performance" and I've seen this AF topic literally come up multiple times on other forums since the K1 was announced this week. I recall Benjamin Kanarek expressing his issues with the AF as a major reason leaving Pentax.

I think Pentax has the burden of proof until the masses are convinced otherwise. There are just too many people who think the AF is the achilles heel for the brand. Maybe the AF is great in the K1 but it's a sour subject it seems with many.

---------- Post added 02-20-16 at 12:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Professionals not changing brands? Sorry, someone who does this for a living will change brands at the drop of a hat if they think it will give them an edge. Ask the OP, or Kenspo. I have a friend who does nicely as a landscape photographer. Always been a Canon guy until the d800 came out. He took one look and sold his Canon gear without another thought.
It is only enthusiasts who argue about their gear. When there is money on the line only results matter.

But thats the thing. I recall the OP not switching brands at a drop of a hat to get an edge. Benjamin said that 30-40% of his images were not in focus and that he "stayed with Pentax because like many, I was hoping for a fix and when my camera was supposedly fixed by Pentax, it would act up very quickly afterwards. The results were inconsistent, thus my hesitancy, which was also based on my loyalty to the brand the people using the system and the people at Pentax."

Doesn't sound like all pros drop gear at a drop of a hat to get an edge. Benjamin stated he waited it out even with his work suffering.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/232...ml#post2465070