Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 02:31 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K1 and the Professional Community

Will keep it short and Sweet. Now that Pentax has the K1, there is no reason that the professionals out there won't come onboard...

However, that will NOT happen until Ricoh-Pentax build their professional service network that can compete with that of Nikon and Canon.

That and the problematic AF issues, was the major reason I had to let go of Pentax as my Professional Photo Capture tool. However, I still use the K3 for most of our videos.

:-)

Last edited by Parallax; 02-23-2016 at 12:16 PM. Reason: More blog pimping
02-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Maybe...waiting for a little more digital FF lenses...
02-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Glad to have ya back Benjamin Kanarek! Hope the K-1 is the start of greater things to come for ya.
02-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There is one good reason for professionals to not switch to Pentax: most already have a camera and a wide selection of lenses. In order to make someone throw out a ton of expensive gear and change to another brand that brand needs to offer a lot that the current gear does not offer, and while I think the K-1 is an impressive piece of gear and a very reasonable price, it really doesn't offer revolutionary features that would attract pros in droves.

This is more of a camera that small-time pros who are currently shooting APS-C and want to upgrade to FF might choose.

02-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Now it is up to Ricoh-Pentax to build their professional service network.
And also build out the system (particularly flash) to support the body and lenses.

Steve
02-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
There is one good reason for professionals to not switch to Pentax: most already have a camera and a wide selection of lenses.
Ben is a prominent working professional (fashion) and I am fairly confident that he will suggest that cameras and lenses are a business expense and not capital investment. His bio:

http://benjaminkanarek.com/biography/

Steve
02-19-2016, 02:57 PM   #7

Remains to be seen. Pentax usually have many smaller features they do not talk much about. Maybe there are some really useful things in there? For instance I am hoping for more than basic tethering over the WiFi.

02-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ben is a working professional (fashion) and I am fairly confident that he will suggest that cameras and lenses are a business expense and not capital investment.
Yes - but the question remains what the K-1 and Pentax lens selection offers over the competition that would make established pros jump ship. I do not doubt that this will be a successful camera, mostly due to the extensive feature set at a low price point, and that it will make people upgrade from APS-C, but why would people shooting a D750/D810 or 5D Mk III want to switch for it?

I can see small time pros switching from D610s and 6Ds, but how many?

And with 4,292 posts on this forum, it appears that Ben has been a Pentax user in the past and was just waiting for the K-1 to come back to a brand he has enjoyed using in the past. Most pros shooting other brands will not have such sentiments.
02-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Now it is up to Ricoh-Pentax to build their professional service network.
Yess, this is the big step. Service shops, support, lens rentals, flash system..
Nice to see you back
02-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would not second guess Benjamin Kanarek's opinion on this. If a globally recognized studio/fashion pro (who still uses K-3's for the video portion of his shoots) is telling us the major missing element is pro support, he's telling us the camera and lenses are 'there.'
02-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
I am hoping for more than basic tethering over the WiFi.
Tethering options do exist for the K-1 - wired and wireless.

There is a USB wired tethering option for the K-1 mentioned in the K-1 launch documentation - the Image Transmitter 2 software tool (which also works on 645Z). There is also a Pentax authored Lightroom tethering plugin for 645Z which is likely to work with the K-1 as well.

---------- Post added 2016-02-20 at 09:41 AM ----------

why would people shooting a D750/D810 or 5D Mk III want to switch for it? ...
A good question. But there is always churn in tech.

For example, many a Canon pro has also switched to Nikon, and vice versa, for all sorts of reasons that change quite a lot - sensors, AF, lenses ergonomics, flash systems, etc. Lots of Nikon users went to Canon FF when Nikon was still only able to offer APS-C, I recall.

And if you believe the online media, there has been a flood of Nikon and Canon pros switching to Sony FF mirrorless recently, even though Sony FE has even less of a FF lens lineup and less pro support than Pentax, not to mention even more limited flash options. So these pros are not acting pro?
02-19-2016, 03:43 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And with 4,292 posts on this forum, it appears that Ben has been a Pentax user in the past
...yes, though not as a fan boy...

Steve
02-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benjamin, I guess my question would be whether enough pros find the K-1's AF and flash capabilities sufficiently advanced (even if not yet to the level of Canikon's) to make the camera worth considering. We'll be curious to hear your judgment, if you test the K-1.
02-19-2016, 03:56 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
A good question. But there is always churn in tech.
why would people shooting a D750/D810 or 5D Mk III want to switch for it?
...and when you work with something day in and day out some aspect may begin to wear on you. Pain drives change. The K-1 has advantages over each of the cameras listed though not in the areas of system flash support or professional services.

Steve
02-19-2016, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For studio work, TTL flash is not all that important -- most studio photographers use manual settings -- as do almost all of the "strobists" types. Both the 645z and K-1 fit nicely here. Macro work is generally manual focus and exposure as well. For landscape, dynamic range and lens selection is important (and Pentax's unique pixel-shift will clearly factor in here if they can solve the "movement" issue). So, they have created a camera system that probably solves 80% of requirements of the current market. They don't need to compete for the 20%. The price point and features are compelling -- especially for the large majority of CaNikon users who are crop-sensor only and would love to step up to full-frame but can't go for the price-points required of CaNikon pro gear. IMHO, key will be getting Pentax K-1 "status" via marketing. After all, whether or not you think it to be true, cameras are status symbols for everyone -- even most pros.

Michael