Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2016, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #151
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Cool. Good to know!

03-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #152

If Ricoh/Pentax had any balls, they would take distribution away from CR Kennedy. More than one camera salesman has told me how much better Pentax would sell in Australia they didn't have to deal with CR Kennedy.
03-07-2016, 05:13 PM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by YankeeDan Quote
If Ricoh/Pentax had any balls, they would take distribution away from CR Kennedy.
Be careful what you wish for, the Devil you know etc.

Ricoh have never shown much interest in doing their own camera distribution and support in Australia. Before CRK picked up distributing Ricoh after the Ricoh/Pentax takeover, Ricoh had their cameras distributed locally by Tasco for many years.

However, as Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fujifilm, Panasonic, Olympus do it themselves, maybe Ricoh should give it a try here.

---------- Post added 2016-03-08 at 11:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by YankeeDan Quote
More than one camera salesman has told me how much better Pentax would sell in Australia they didn't have to deal with CR Kennedy
I'm curious about what people say is bad about dealing with CRK.
03-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #154
Pentaxian

Prompt delivery and local warranty...I've bought a few things from them and they do the job well...IMO.

03-07-2016, 10:04 PM   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Prompt delivery and local warranty...I've bought a few things from them and they do the job well...IMO.
Yes the same here.
03-08-2016, 12:41 AM   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Yes the same here.
Thirded. Hard to go past DCxpert (the CRK Ebay presence).
03-08-2016, 12:45 AM   #157
Pentaxian

ive used EBAY and direct....no complaints.....BUT check both prices as they can differ slightly

03-08-2016, 02:36 AM   #158
Veteran Member

DCXpert are great, used them a few times.

CR Kennedy's technical service however ...
03-08-2016, 04:09 AM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'm curious about what people say is bad about dealing with CRK.
Let me rephrase - I was curious about what camera sales people were saying about CRK, since the comment from YankeeDan implied many sales people didn't like dealing with CRK.
03-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #160
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To encourage bricks and mortar shops to be stocking Pentax/Ricoh do we really want to be buying online from DcXpert?

If stores will price match, I would encourage Australian buyers not to buy from DcXpert.

I would much prefer really shops having stock we can hold and touch. Also, if we want the brand to succeed they need to be in stores so Non-Pentaxians may have the idea of brands outside CaNikon and Sony.

I know DcXpert has great pricing. Seems though that CRK make it hard for retailers if they make DcXpert prices really though.

I do acknowledge though that DcXpert prices are generally very good.

Howie Be
03-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #161
Pentaxian

DCxpert has to compete with the other online sellers,B&M shops are dwindling( none in my closest town)which is a shame but the record shop closed, the sports shop closed too Online selling is here to stay....written and YouTube reviews have supplemented some peoples choices

Apart from groceries, my store purchases are probably 10/20%...the rest is online
03-08-2016, 02:12 PM   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes,

if my local B&M camera store would stock Pentax and was reasonably competitive, I'd buy my cameras and lenses there as I do like to touch and feel before I buy.

They used to stock Pentax and I bought my K-5 (first ever DSLR) from them after comparing its feel to the Canikons, but since then, they have declined to stock anything new in Pentax and actively tried and steer me to away from it when I was looking for my K-3.

Hopefully the K-1 will change that - I'll check next time I pass...maybe the 645z and the prospect of FF has woken them up!

I buy small items and other gear there when they are reasonably competitive as I wouldn't like to see them disappear.
03-08-2016, 04:22 PM   #163
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Traditionally, you award a contract to a company to be the importer for their country. The B&Ms source from them. You insist that the company cannot compete with the retailers, otherwise you p... them all off. Remember these retailers, like Digital Camera Warehouse or Ted's, have online shops, too.

So, people I think were off-base when they complained that they could get similar pricing to America from their B&M, but not from CRK. That's how it should be. The stores are forced to buy from CRK in order to qualify for manufacturer's warranty, it's not fair on them to be undercut by the supplier selling direct to the public.

CRK do maintain an eBay presence that I've used, but it looks to me like it's limited both in the exact products it sells and how many are available for purchase.

We've all read some members saying B&Ms need to be encouraged, and others saying that in this Amazon era the relationship should go the way of the dodo.

BTW, Malcolm Kennedy actually joined this forum and posted yesterday to shut down the rumour that CRK was changing ownership. I think it would be unwise of him to comment on issues involving other companies, though.

Last edited by clackers; 03-08-2016 at 07:06 PM.
03-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
CR Kennedy's technical service however ...

ugh...don't get me started on that topic.
03-14-2016, 03:26 AM   #165
Veteran Member

Hmm got a call from the camera store I tried pre-ordering and they told me the camera is shipping end of May, and will be in my hands "sometime in June', so I have cancelled the order, is this available date the same fore everyone? I might try ordering it direct from CRK to see if I can get it quicker.