Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2016, 04:11 AM   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Be careful what you wish for, the Devil you know etc.

Ricoh have never shown much interest in doing their own camera distribution and support in Australia. Before CRK picked up distributing Ricoh after the Ricoh/Pentax takeover, Ricoh had their cameras distributed locally by Tasco for many years.

However, as Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fujifilm, Panasonic, Olympus do it themselves, maybe Ricoh should give it a try here.

---------- Post added 2016-03-08 at 11:17 AM ----------

I'm curious about what people say is bad about dealing with CRK.
I suspect they may have changed, as they seem to be more approachable by individuals, now. The only insight I have on the retail side is 10 years old now, with a small camera store in Hobart, now defunct. I bought my *istD from them, and they were keen to sell subsequent models, but the owner was always complaining about how CRK's rep at the time would ignore his requests for stock, and only occasionally return calls. Eventually, he gave up trying and just stocked the usual suspects. By the time the K20D was released, he was close to shutting up shop, so I bought from DCW because the Camera House store here wasn't greatly interested in pushing Pentax either. There may be more to the story, of course, but it'd be interesting to know how many other small retailers had similar stories.

03-14-2016, 04:13 AM   #167
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just want the wait to be over. Roll on April!
03-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #168
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Hmm got a call from the camera store I tried pre-ordering and they told me the camera is shipping end of May, and will be in my hands "sometime in June', so I have cancelled the order, is this available date the same fore everyone? I might try ordering it direct from CRK to see if I can get it quicker.

When exactly did you pre-order? I'm heading off to Japan on May 16th, so hopefully it comes before then.

I pre-ordered around the end of Feb. from a B&M store. They had two on order and no-one had put in a pre-order on either yet. So I made sure to stipulate that if only one came in that I would be first in line.

Fingers crossed...
03-15-2016, 12:47 AM   #169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
When exactly did you pre-order? I'm heading off to Japan on May 16th, so hopefully it comes before then.

I pre-ordered around the end of Feb. from a B&M store. They had two on order and no-one had put in a pre-order on either yet. So I made sure to stipulate that if only one came in that I would be first in line.

Fingers crossed...
Earlier this month, so I am not sure what's going on right now.

03-15-2016, 01:10 AM   #170
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Earlier this month, so I am not sure what's going on right now.
OK, I see. Just have to wait and see when the first units arrive. I guess I shouldn't be impatient...
03-15-2016, 01:24 AM   #171
Loyal Site Supporter

This is why I didn't pre-order...no guarantee of the arrival date or of what the exchange rate might be then, and having funds tied up meantime.

It might mean I don't get a K-1 any time soon though :-(

I'll sit and envy the rest of you while making the most of my K-3 - it's still a very nice camera ;-)

...or it might mean I am in the US, or at least going o'seas when I want to purchase one.

Who knows?
03-31-2016, 06:07 PM   #172
6x7

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
CRK have already knocked $300 off yesterday's price - now available for pre-sale at $2899
The price is back at AUD3188.90 today. Prices for lenses went up as well.
03-31-2016, 06:14 PM   #173
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6x7 Quote
The price is back at AUD3188.90 today. Prices for lenses went up as well.

Luckily there's plenty of B&M options around the $2800-2900 mark.

Of course the AUD has gone up vs. the USD in the last four weeks or so. Back when the K-1 was announced AU$2799 was a decent price, now US$1799 + 10% GST comes in at approx. AU$2573. I'm still happy to pay an extra $200-ish for local warranty and the warm fuzzy feeling of buying from a local store, I can't speak for everyone though.

03-31-2016, 09:43 PM   #174
Site Supporter

CRK's price hike becomes the last straw to destroy my resistance...... I went to Ted's Store in Knox this arvo and pre-ordered the K-1 at $2799.
04-01-2016, 12:00 AM   #175
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by David L Quote
CRK's price hike becomes the last straw to destroy my resistance...... I went to Ted's Store in Knox this arvo and pre-ordered the K-1 at $2799.

Before you put up the middle finger, you know Ted's just buy it from CRK, don't you, Dave?
04-01-2016, 12:27 AM   #176
Pentaxian

I suspect that CRK is trying to encourage people to buy from retailers, which is probably better for the brand, overall.
04-01-2016, 12:34 AM   #177
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Before you put up the middle finger, you know Ted's just buy it from CRK, don't you, Dave?
Yes I know...but what can I do? Australia is such a small market and monopoly is a norm.
04-01-2016, 01:13 AM   #178
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by David L Quote
Yes I know...but what can I do? Australia is such a small market and monopoly is a norm.
Yep. ☺
04-01-2016, 02:05 AM   #179
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, assuming the intent is to support bricks and mortar store, eg. Teds, this is actually a good thing.

A distributor undercutting physical store is hardly fair and doesn't encourage b&m store the support the brand.

Alternately its a price gouge.

Howie Be
04-01-2016, 03:13 AM   #180
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Well, assuming the intent is to support bricks and mortar store, eg. Teds, this is actually a good thing.

A distributor undercutting physical store is hardly fair and doesn't encourage b&m store the support the brand.
Correct. The importer can't act as a competitor with the retailers it's meant to be supplying. That's probably in their contract with Ricoh.