Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 11:31 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
CRK doesn't like competition. But if enough orders were placed, they would have to honor them.
Pre-orders with B&H usually don't require money changing hands so I doubt a large number of orders would make any difference.

CRK runs a protected market here and can charge what they think the market will bear. Putting a high price like this on a camera, that is widely regarded elsewhere as cheap, is one reason why Pentax has had trouble taking off in Australia.

02-21-2016, 11:32 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CypherOz Quote
Should have gone over the the road to Photographic Wholesalers (Diamonds) -- Ted's prices sux.
Problem is Kym, Diamonds/ PW appear to have ceased stocking Pentax. They have no reference to any Pentax Bodies, lenses by Pentax or Pentax Mount Sigma.

Very disappointing as I've purchased all my DSLR bodies from PW or Diamonds as far back as 2008. Only got into Pentax because a Diamonds staff talked me out of a Canon.
02-21-2016, 11:36 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
is one reason why Pentax has had trouble taking off in Australia.
You can always trust CRK to be the bottleneck with Pentax. Even Leica equipment is easier to get here in Australia.
02-21-2016, 11:41 PM   #34
Veteran Member

If it is possible to get one from B&H for a decent price then the difference to the local price is your warranty really.

I'm disgusted with CRK over this. I was going to move one of my D800E's for this camera but I'll think more than twice now.

02-21-2016, 11:45 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it is possible to get one from B&H for a decent price then the difference to the local price is your warranty really.
...probably just as well that the K-1 is well built. I have only had one defective Pentax DSLR, The Pentax K7: the rear screen had a fault.

I'm disgusted with CRK over this.
That makes two of us.
02-21-2016, 11:59 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
...probably just as well that the K-1 is well built. I have only had one defective Pentax DSLR, The Pentax K7: the rear screen had a fault.

That makes two of us.
None of the three K-5's I've owned have needed repair but my one of my D800E required maintenance for a focus screen that was scratched during manufacture and a major focus adjustment. My D810 required a tweak to correct white dots straight out of the factory.

CRK won't be getting any business from me at that price. They are definitely price gouging.
02-22-2016, 12:06 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote
BUT your not going to like the price
Wowsers! They really don't want to sell that camera down here do they? I called them the day it was released and got myself in the queue for the first batch, but at that price it would be cheaper for me to fly to the states and buy it myself

02-22-2016, 12:09 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Wowsers! They really don't want to sell that camera down here do they? I called them the day it was released and got myself in the queue for the first batch, but at that price it would be cheaper for me to fly to the states and buy it myself
I actually sent them an e-mail that day telling them I would like to pre-order, but at this price? Nah, I am not going to do it.
02-22-2016, 12:29 AM   #39
Veteran Member

CRK take your money up front on pre-orders. But I also suspect that when the cameras actually arrive the price will be more like $2800 and those people prepaying at the current list price will have blown an extra $400. It really does look like they're scamming us.
02-22-2016, 12:30 AM   #40

Photos: Albums
I have made a post on Pentax Australia's Facebook page telling them of the anger expressed here. I would encourage you all to do the same.
I did not want or need a full frame camera, but I was tempted by the specs and price announced for the US. The temptation is now completely gone.
02-22-2016, 12:31 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty disappointed with the Oz pricing, but I have still put down a deposit at Camera House Twin City to pre-order mine.
Maybe someone will see sense by April and adjust the price to be more in keeping with other markets....
02-22-2016, 12:32 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Looks like I'm going to be happy with my K3 until CRK start seeing sense. $3188+ is over the top, price gouging at its worst.
02-22-2016, 12:35 AM   #43

This is just a holdover imo. The CRK pre order price is just to get the b&m's favourably on board with the camera. They need them to stock it to get the pro level support I guess. A lot of shops were pissed at them undercutting them on the website and pricematching overseas etc. But this is a major swing in the other direction! I live in a fairly big city with only one small camera shop so this sucks. CRK had great prices for previous new releases recently, but anything over 2800 is just early adopter tax. I think they're pushing into the US market hardcore hence the really low price over there, maybe thats skewing the outlook everywhere else?
02-22-2016, 12:38 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote
I have made a post on Pentax Australia's Facebook page telling them of the anger expressed here. I would encourage you all to do the same.
I did not want or need a full frame camera, but I was tempted by the specs and price announced for the US. The temptation is now completely gone.
Cheers, I did the same just now:

"Based on the US price (US$1,796.95) this camera should be selling for no more that $2800 but CRK have listed it at $400 above that. You guys are killing the camera before it even gets here. Very angry.

PS: I'm pretty sure their are federal laws against price gouging in Australia."

I don't expect my post to be there for long.
02-22-2016, 12:43 AM   #45

I'm starting to think this is an inflated RRP to allow camera stores to 'street price' it themselves. I expect a $2650 or lower on ebay after stock settles...