Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2016, 12:48 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bibz Quote
I'm starting to think this is an inflated RRP to allow camera stores to 'street price' it themselves. I expect a $2650 or lower on ebay after stock settles...
Possibly, but remember CRK take your pre-order cash up front and I can't help but wonder if they give any back if the actual RRP is lower when it actually arrives?

PS: Being a cynic I can't help but think that this price exists to rip off the early adopters.

Last edited by bossa; 02-22-2016 at 01:01 AM.
02-22-2016, 12:51 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Maybe someone will see sense by April and adjust the price to be more in keeping with other markets....
I'll take the Vegas odd on that happening.

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
remember CRK take you pre-order cash up front and I can't help but wonder if they give any back if the actual RRP is lower when it actually arrives?
They will probably offer some extended warranty and run off with your money..
02-22-2016, 12:54 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a rule I detest FB, but this issue even drew me over there to comment. Surely they are intending to cut deals with retailers and get the price out at around $2800? I'll call my favourite store tomorrow (Kirk's Ringwood) and see if CRK has been in touch.

---------- Post added 22nd Feb 2016 at 18:56 ----------

I'm starting to think this is an inflated RRP to allow camera stores to 'street price' it themselves. I expect a $2650 or lower on ebay after stock settles...
Lets hope so. I'm keeping my early adopter powder dry for a while. Most disappointing.
02-22-2016, 12:58 AM   #49
Veteran Member

This is just a holdover imo. The CRK pre order price is just to get the b&m's favourably on board with the camera. They need them to stock it to get the pro level support I guess. A lot of shops were pissed at them undercutting them on the website and pricematching overseas etc. But this is a major swing in the other direction! I live in a fairly big city with only one small camera shop so this sucks. CRK had great prices for previous new releases recently, but anything over 2800 is just early adopter tax. I think they're pushing into the US market hardcore hence the really low price over there, maybe thats skewing the outlook everywhere else?
I believe it's also expensive in the EU. VAT etc...

02-22-2016, 01:00 AM   #50
Pentaxian

I think they're pushing into the US market hardcore hence the really low price over there, maybe thats skewing the outlook everywhere else?
Everyone outside CONUS has to pay more so people within CONUS don't have to?

That sounds totally fair and reasonable.
02-22-2016, 01:02 AM   #51

Don't forget the effects of the exchange rate being so bad. I mean, if the AUD was close to parity and they priced it at (say) $2299, they're still getting a big percent profit but I think we'd all find it much more palatable. *sigh* (I've been buying from overseas for 5-6 years now, and the exchange rate has a huge impact on my spending. When the same AUD will only get 70% of what it did a few years back, it hurts. And it isn't like what I'm buying even has a local purchase option. Gah!)

But I'll probably get the K1 anyway. I can't buy before mid-year anyway, so I have time to see where the street price settles. I can hope it ends up comparable to the d750 by then, can't I?
02-22-2016, 01:03 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Everyone outside CONUS has to pay more so people within CONUS don't have to?

That sounds totally fair and reasonable.
That's the US foreign policy isn't it? Send the entire world to oblivion so you don't have to?

If you're not CONUS you're ANUS.

Last edited by bossa; 02-22-2016 at 01:14 AM.
02-22-2016, 01:17 AM   #53
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just did a comparison with US B&H Prices for K3ii which is retailing for $779, and the K1 $1799.

CRK are listing the K3ii @ $1349 and is selling on Ebay @ dcxpert for $1249.

With same% loadings, CRK $3115 so possibly online @ $2885. So perhaps we were wishful in thinking it would be a straight $US to $Aus exchange rate.

Kevin

02-22-2016, 01:19 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kev.pride Quote
Just did a comparison with US B&H Prices for K3ii which is retailing for $779, and the K1 $1799.

CRK are listing the K3ii @ $1349 and is selling on Ebay @ dcxpert for $1249.

With same% loadings, CRK $3115 so possibly online @ $2885. So perhaps we were wishful in thinking it would be a straight $US to $Aus exchange rate.

Kevin
They've probably still got a load of K-3 stock they bought when the AU$ was doing better but we'll never know.

As a direct exchange this is what I calculate after rounding off the US price.

US price is $1796.95 (1797)

Exchange rate is AU$1 = US$0.72 (multiplier = 1.388888 etc)

Price = AU$2495.83 (pre GST)
GST = AU$249.58

Total = AU$2745.41

PS: Keep in mind that Federal Taxes in Australia don't pay for a thing. We are the sovereign issuer of our own FIAT currency and it costs nothing to create. Taxes are really used to drain money from the economy so as to allow the government to spend more into existence and not cause inflation. So the old "you pay for Universal Health Care" chestnut is really incorrect.

Last edited by bossa; 02-22-2016 at 02:19 AM.
02-22-2016, 02:30 AM   #55
Veteran Member

It kills me to say it, but at $3100 id be looking at my options. A k3 and $2k to spend on lenses etc would be hard to go past. Hell, i could get a sony A7 for FF shits and giggles and still upgrade my k5 to the k3 with money left over. But lets wait and see on street price. Either way, i'll get a new Pentax Dslr, so happy days.
02-22-2016, 02:34 AM   #56
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
at that price it would be worth considering a second hand 645D
02-22-2016, 02:47 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hmm ... isn't the purpose of the wholesaler to sell to the retailers, not compete with them?

And there is a store which has offered similar to the US price, adjusted for exchange rate plus GST.

Big bucks, no doubt, my brothers, but look at the price of the long established D810, even from JB HiFi.

Last edited by clackers; 02-22-2016 at 03:24 AM.
02-22-2016, 02:56 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Hmm ... isn't the purpose of the wholesaler to sell to the retailers, not compete with them?

And there is a store which has offered similar to the US price, adjusted for exchange rate plus GST.

Big bucks, no doubt, brothers, but look at the price of the long established D810, even from JB HiFi.
CRK run an online store and a few eBay stores. They had the DA*300 listed at $1395 for ages (years) and it's suddenly jumped to over $2k. This is possibly due to buying new stock at a worse exchange rate though. But I can't see any excuse for price gouging on the K-1 unless, as you say, they are trying to encourage B&M stores to stock the units.
02-22-2016, 03:03 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
, as you say, they are trying to encourage B&M stores to stock the units.
Yeah, I'm sure Tokyo takes a dim view of destroying what's left of the relationship with the B&Ms. TBH, I would have thought undercutting the retailers would be explicitly banned by their contract with Ricoh. Perhaps there are exceptions permitted by their eBay section.

Your calculations are very good, Bossa, and show there's almost no saving buying from B&H in USD, adding postage and paying GST ourselves ... and without local warranty!

Last edited by clackers; 02-22-2016 at 03:17 AM.
02-22-2016, 03:30 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, I'm sure Tokyo takes a dim view of destroying what's left of the relationship with the B&Ms. TBH, I would have thought undercutting the retailers would be explicitly banned by their contract with Ricoh. Perhaps there are exceptions permitted by their eBay section.

Your calculations are very good, Bossa, and show there's almost no saving buying from B&H in USD, adding postage and paying GST ourselves ... and without local warranty!
I wasn't advocating buying from B&H. I was merely converting the price and adding GST to give an indication of what I thought a fair local price might be.