Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2016, 12:53 AM   #106
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Ok, well I am now officially a pre-orderer of the K-1!

I just called the manager at Kirks in Ringwood and he is going to get one in for me and match the CRK price. Heads up for anyone else in the area, he said they will order 3 or 4 and see how they go.
They are good supporters of Pentax, so I urge anyone in the outer east of Melbourne to give them a call if the K-1 is on the purchase list. We need to help support the small retailers in the supply chain
Good to know.... Someone 10 minute drive from me stocking the K1. See how long it takes me to cave in and purchase one

02-24-2016, 01:37 AM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
the website of Camera Warehouse (in Oz) was down last night, and still down this arvo!
Has the K-1 caused a meltdown?
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Website works for me.
Nothing in Camera Warehouse's site is currently working for me. I've tried two different browsers, so I guess they're having issues. Their Facebook page of course is up, and they're showing the K-1 there, quite prominently.
02-24-2016, 01:50 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Ok, well I am now officially a pre-orderer of the K-1! I just called the manager at Kirks in Ringwood and he is going to get one in for me and match the CRK price. Heads up for anyone else in the area, he said they will order 3 or 4 and see how they go. They are good supporters of Pentax, so I urge anyone in the outer east of Melbourne to give them a call if the K-1 is on the purchase list. We need to help support the small retailers in the supply chain
Its nice to see Kirks still supporting Pentax, when I lived up that way they were always great Pentax supporters and had that big Pentax sign above their shop. For Canon and Nikon they only had flags.
When I pre-ordered my K1 CRK would not match the price given to me by Camera Warehouse! Its good to see that CRK has bowed to the pressure and dropped their price.

Glenn
02-24-2016, 04:32 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm so excited about the K1 and am so, so tempted to buy one. BUT I have absolutely no need for full frame. And perhaps even more crucially, I don't have the money...........yet.

But well done Pentax and Ricoh, I hope the K1 is as successful as it deserves to be.

02-24-2016, 10:26 PM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I feel for the biscuits....... no sweet should suffer in that way......

---------- Post added 23-02-16 at 05:52 PM ----------

I assume the invoice date will be when it ships..... so one has 60 days from then, not now, to claim back up to $200 if going overseas (with a partner)
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I'm so excited about the K1 and am so, so tempted to buy one. BUT I have absolutely no need for full frame. And perhaps even more crucially, I don't have the money...........yet.

But well done Pentax and Ricoh, I hope the K1 is as successful as it deserves to be.
Feel the force Carl, the K-1 is calling to you.....
02-24-2016, 11:41 PM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got a slightly panicked phone call from the manager of my preferred Adelaide B&M store a few minutes ago - they were confirming if I wanted to order a K-1. The Manager mentioned they have had an unexpectedly high number of orders placed, they will even be getting a few extra K-1 bodies in on top of that - so there will be a body at the store for anyone to get a feel for the camera and be able to compare the ergonomics to the competition to help them decide if they want to buy it.

I have a cousin in Japan at the moment, and she knows I want this camera - and i'm willing to put up with grey import in order to not have to give CRK a blasted cent of my money. However, my cousin is also an avid pentax photographer*: and she has made a request that if she gets this camera for me, she gets the FA*200mm f/4 ED Macro and the FA*85mm f/1.4 I have painstakingly restored.

*she was instrumental in how I managed to get my hands on a copy of the LTM 43mm f/1.9 special - only 2000 of them were made, and they were exclusively sold in Japan....but now, the pop up all over the place.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-24-2016 at 11:53 PM.
02-25-2016, 12:18 AM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Camera Warehouse's website is back up today, and the K-1 price is $2,799. The first 20 customers get a Sandisk Extreme Pro SD 64GB as part of the deal. Perhaps more importantly, they're suggesting it'll arrive in late March, rather than April.

02-25-2016, 02:08 AM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to be in Japan during April. An afternoon at the Tokyo Pentax store is on my 'to do' list. Hopefully lots of the new Pentax goodies to fondle :-) even if the cost of a family holiday in Japan means my K-3 is at no short term risk of being put to pasture.
02-25-2016, 02:54 AM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmmm, I have a nephew who lives in Japan.... I wonder what goodies he can get me, and if the yen/aud conversion would make it worthwhile. The thought had never occured to me before.
02-25-2016, 05:35 AM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yen is at three year high vs AUD unfortunately. As I am am discovering trying to book 3 weeks of accomodation over there.
02-25-2016, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #116
Veteran Member

I have orderd one.....I'm doomed.
02-25-2016, 11:38 PM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Yen is at three year high vs AUD unfortunately.
I know, but even so it probably puts me at a small price advantage compared to what CRK is offering...but this is about the principle.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-25-2016 at 11:45 PM.
02-25-2016, 11:41 PM   #118
Forum Member

Hmmmm, I have a nephew who lives in Japan.... I wonder what goodies he can get me, and if the yen/aud conversion would make it worthwhile. The thought had never occured to me before.
Brand new lenses arent worth trying to get from Japan. Prices are near enough to the same as here in Australia. I certainly wouldn't risk a potential "saving" of $50 or $100 for lack of warranty. Bodies however are heaps cheaper. My first trip to Japan in Sept 2014 I payed ~$550 for my K50, 18-55 and 50-200 kit when the same thing here was in the ballpark of $1100 here. Second trip in April 2015 I payed ~$700 for my K3 body when they were going for $1200+ here (it appears they still are now).

For a $500-$600 saving I'd definitely take the lack of warranty gamble on a new body.

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Yen is at three year high vs AUD unfortunately. As I am am discovering trying to book 3 weeks of accomodation over there.
When are you looking at going? Have you tried looking at business hotels? They can be had for $40-60 a night for one person and include a buffet breakfast in the morning. Definitely the cheapest way to go without having to resort to hostels or capsule hotels
02-25-2016, 11:49 PM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by silver_dragon Quote
I certainly wouldn't risk a potential "saving" of $50 or $100 for lack of warranty.
With lenses this is an issue - plenty of things can go wrong with them. But I have had only one problem with a pentax body that called for warranty repairs*.

*Pentax K-7, the front E-Dial suffered a malfunction that caused it to randomly jump shutter speed settings, it made the camera practically unusable as you could go from 1s to 1/2000th in one turn.
02-26-2016, 12:00 AM   #120
Veteran Member

I still have a FA31, FA77, DA*55 and DA*200 so this camera is going to tempt me. I'll hang off buying it until after the release, but I fear the sensor shift functions will be too hard for me to resist and I'll cave. I'd love to have some shots from this camera in my July exhibition.

I'd consider getting CRK to convert my Nikon mount 35/1.4... or maybe not.

---------- Post added 26-02-16 at 05:52 PM ----------

A warning to all considering full frame:

I usually carry a D810 and D800E body, Tamron 24-70, Nikkor 14-24 and Nikkor 70-200 around. Both bodies have battery grips and it's a killer weight if you chuck it in a backpack - I'm almost 61 so getting old doesn't help.

The weight seems a lot easier to manage if distributed around the body in a vest/belt system though, or merely on BlackRapid camera straps.

The FA Limiteds are looking mighty appealing as a light kit (comparatively) on this camera.

Last edited by bossa; 02-26-2016 at 12:15 AM.