Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2016, 03:30 AM   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Australian members should be a bit worried!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/317879-k-1-shipping-date-s...ml#post3591095

Unless there is also South pole going North distribution strategy from Pentax!

04-06-2016, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #182
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I dropped in to Kirks the other day for a chat and to check on my K-1 order. The info received is they are expecting the camera in store around the 21st or 22nd of April. So we have a fortnight to wait.
04-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #183
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I dropped in to Kirks the other day for a chat and to check on my K-1 order. The info received is they are expecting the camera in store around the 21st or 22nd of April. So we have a fortnight to wait.

Yeah, I just pre-ordered with Digital Camera Warehouse, Wiz. I did try to back a suburban B&M by ringing Kirk's. The guy was polite but not interested in an offer of $2700 or even price matching DCW's $2799.

It's a shame, but that's business.
04-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #184
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, I just pre-ordered with Digital Camera Warehouse, Wiz. I did try to back a suburban B&M by ringing Kirk's. The guy was polite but not interested in an offer of $2700 or even price matching DCW's $2799.

It's a shame, but that's business.
Great! did the DCW guys say anything about the delivery time?
I placed my order in person last week at Ted's in Knox shopping center. They had no clue when they can get the K-1 - the computer says 'early April'

04-06-2016, 09:46 PM   #185
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by David L Quote
Great! did the DCW guys say anything about the delivery time?
I placed my order in person last week at Ted's in Knox shopping center. They had no clue when they can get the K-1 - the computer says 'early April'

All done online, David. But no one will get any until CRK get 'em into the country and through Customs.
04-06-2016, 09:55 PM   #186
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
All done online, David. But no one will get any until CRK get 'em into the country and through Customs.
Sure...lets wait and wait....one day it will arrive
04-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #187
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-1 Mk 2 will be out by the time we get them.................. don't know why I'm laughing...........

04-07-2016, 01:01 AM   #188
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

CR Kennedy PENTAX K-1 BODY ONLY
$3,188.90
Camera Electronics
Available for pre-order only with a deposit of $500. Final price $2799
prices all over the place.....
04-07-2016, 03:58 AM   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
CR Kennedy PENTAX K-1 BODY ONLY
$3,188.90
Camera Electronics
Available for pre-order only with a deposit of $500. Final price $2799
prices all over the place.....
I think we concluded here that CRK have deliberately priced direct sales high, to encourage people to buy at the lower price through the retailers. Most of the major retailers seem to be in accord on that $2,799 figure.
04-07-2016, 04:35 AM   #190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good thing...maybe it'll push some K-1s through B&M shops via orders, and sales people will actually get to see and hold the camera and interact with (enthusiastic) users. Potentially a good marketing ploy ...use your customers to market your product to your distributors. Sales people often don't like having less knowledge than their customers and so would pretty quickly get themselves across the product features and sell them from there.....hopefully.

My "local" said it had a couple of orders but wasn't intending putting a display camera in store - it'd be nice if the new pricing approach changed its mind, else I'll be driving to Sydney (from Canberra) to hold one as I have arthritis issues and won't buy one before I hold it...and if I have to drive to Sydney, then I'll buy there too.
04-07-2016, 05:51 AM   #191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
My "local" said it had a couple of orders but wasn't intending putting a display camera in store
If that is Teds (I used to know it when it was Georges) in Petrie Plaza, I'd be surprised if they didn't have a K-1 on display as soon as it went on sale in Australia. They've been Pentax stockists for decades.
04-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If that is Teds (I used to know it when it was Georges) in Petrie Plaza, I'd be surprised if they didn't have a K-1 on display as soon as it went on sale in Australia. They've been Pentax stockists for decades.
Yep...but when I spoke to a salesperson about a month ago,he said that if I decided against the K-1 after ordering through them, he wouldn't be too disappointed as that would mean they'd have one on the shelf to show people. At that point they hadn't intended in getting one for display. That may have changed since I asked, or the salesperson may not have been fully informed.

They didn't stock K-3s in store (I drove to Sydney), and when I have been in there over the past couple of years have had VERY limited Pentax gear and/or have tried to steer me in other directions, although they have said they'd order stuff for me, but it has been quicker and cheaper for me to order through Pentax or dcxpert or pick things up while in Sydney.

Back when I bought my K-5, they did have them in store - it was handling the camera side by side with Canikon that decided me on the Pentax.

I am hoping the K-1 will get them back on board!
04-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
Yep...but when I spoke to a salesperson about a month ago,he said that if I decided against the K-1 after ordering through them, he wouldn't be too disappointed as that would mean they'd have one on the shelf to show people. At that point they hadn't intended in getting one for display. That may have changed since I asked, or the salesperson may not have been fully informed.
A sad state of affairs.

I bought my first Pentax (and Ricoh) gear from that store in the 1980's. When I last visited a few years ago, and chatted to the manager, they still had some Pentax bodies on display, even a 645 in the 'pro' area, and seemed Pentax friendly. Pity that seems to have changed.

Time for some CRK store outreach/glad-handing, methinks, with chains like Teds.
04-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #194
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect the 1980s mentality lingers in some parts of retail: inventory costs money, so only stock that which sells the most. Valid practice in an era of expensive money, but not so easily justifiable in an extended period of low interest rates. I do wonder about the other players' incentives schemes, too.

I just checked the Camera House chain's website. Their segment on Pentax has the latest bodies as the K-5II and the K50. CRK might have a bit of work to do there...

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 04-07-2016 at 03:25 PM.
04-07-2016, 04:03 PM   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I just checked the Camera House chain's website. Their segment on Pentax has the latest bodies as the K-5II and the K50. CRK might have a bit of work to do there...
To me it doesn't matter what the chain's website says; the three Camera House franchises that I know don's stock Pentax at all.