Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2016, 02:53 AM   #226

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lightsource Quote
So Pentax Australia just stated on facebook that the official launch party will be on the 10th of May here. Please tell me that they hold their launch parties after the camera hits shelves and not before. May 10 seems like an eternity.
Probably similar to overseas dealers. The first shipment will be here by end of month but has long since sold out. The main shipment for anyone who hasn't yet pre-ordered will be early May. Well, that's what I hope is going on, because I've been told 28th of this month for mine!

04-18-2016, 05:08 AM   #227
Veteran Member

I've ordered mine, will be going to Fiji on the 20th May ..... nephews wedding I'll be photographing...... so pretty sure mine will arrive on the 21st.....
04-18-2016, 05:14 AM   #228
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I've ordered mine, will be going to Fiji on the 20th May ..... nephews wedding I'll be photographing...... so pretty sure mine will arrive on the 21st.....
You'll be ok, no doubts it will come for you before you go.
04-18-2016, 04:44 PM   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lightsource Quote
You'll be ok, no doubts it will come for you before you go.

Can you tell me if I'll get mine before I leave for Japan on the 16th May? I pre-ordered around 1st March.

Thanks in advance.

04-18-2016, 04:53 PM   #230
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
Can you tell me if I'll get mine before I leave for Japan on the 16th May? I pre-ordered around 1st March.

Thanks in advance.
All I can say is that Pentax Australia has stated that they who have placed their pre-orders, should have them arrive by the end of this month. Given that you pre-ordered yours then, surely you'd have no issues, right? All the best on your trip! I too am planning a trip to Japan to make use of this camera, albeit not until next year, but none the less, what a place to take it! Exciting!
04-20-2016, 02:14 AM   #231
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's a big ticket item not to have local warranty, Trev.

All the best, obviously!
Actually I bought my DA* 16-50 from B&H and it's still going strong. Bought my wife's locally and it had to go back with SDM failure out of warranty. her's was after they fixed the issue too.
04-20-2016, 03:21 AM   #232
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Actually I bought my DA* 16-50 from B&H and it's still going strong. Bought my wife's locally and it had to go back with SDM failure out of warranty. her's was after they fixed the issue too.
I think you'll agree that's only by luck, Trev. It could have been the other way round.

04-20-2016, 06:18 AM   #233
Veteran Member

Called DCW today and been told the pre-ordered K-1 will be arriving in their warehouse 05/05/2016
04-20-2016, 06:20 AM   #234
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Called DCW today and been told the pre-ordered K-1 will be arriving in their warehouse 05/05/2016
Thanks, Elpolodiablo, mine will be in there somewhere, I'm hoping.

04-20-2016, 06:22 AM   #235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, Elpolodiablo, mine will be in there somewhere, I'm hoping.
I shall look forward to reading your review, old chap.
04-20-2016, 06:36 AM   #236
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I shall look forward to reading your review, old chap.
Ken Rockwell will say all that needs to be said, Rob! 😉

04-27-2016, 06:50 AM - 2 Likes   #237
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in Japan at the moment and paid a visit to the Ricoh/Pentax offical showroom in Shinjuku (Tokyo). Had a play with the K-1. It's there and its real! Very solid feeling and focusing with the new DC motors very quiet and confident (mostly played with the new 28-105). Mirror is distinctly quick and very quiet. They're done a very good job with that. This immediately stood out, even vs the K-3 I use. Putting lenses aside, the handling of the K-1 was very similar to the K-3. The man there would probably sell me one later this week but unfortunately I need to pay off the Japan trip (for 4 people) first

Also sighted the new DFA 15-30 and had a quick play with it on the K-1. Broadly similar size to the 24-70.
Both it and the 24-70 are solid units. Not that much longer than a DA*16-50 but much wider in diameter.

The 28-105 is a nice compromise carry about size. If it proves to be of the same optical standard as the DA16-85 it could be a good travel lens. I reckon a K-1 plus the 24-70 would get heavy in the backpack after a few hours walkabout. With the shallower depth of field for a given aperture and better high ISO performance of full frame, the smaller apertures of the 28-105 are less of a hindrance than the same specifications used on APS-C.

Had a play with the 645Z as well. You know that has a big mirror lurking within it. Sound is not harsh but it does take some time to go thru its motions!
04-27-2016, 11:57 PM   #238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got an email from Camera Electronic that they're having a launch on 12 May. I've registered - I hope I don't get lured into buying one but I may not be able to resist. Have to keep telling myself I don't need it!!
04-28-2016, 01:20 AM   #239
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ken Rockwell will say all that needs to be said, Rob! 😉
I thought he had, already…
04-28-2016, 03:50 AM   #240
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the insight into the K-1 and 645Z, southlander. The K-1 and its lenses will no doubt be making waves worldwide, and with some fortune there will be a decent representation of the K-1 and the DFA lenses in Aussie retail stores. For them to be viable, there will need to be competitive pricing against the other branded offerings.