Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2016, 05:22 AM   #241
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The other price of information from the Ricoh/Pentax showroom was awareness/confirmation of future lens offerings, in so much as it was evident that there was a clear focus on the need to deliver wide aperture primes over the next year or so.

When you look at it, Pentax had done a good job on the zooms to match the K-1 delivery date, now covering 15-450mm with quality glass; plus 9 or so primes with obvious full frame coverage; plus a few more DA lenses where there may be close to full coverage.

A DFA 20 or 24mm would be very desirable, plus a new wide aperture portrait lens would round things out nicely. Maybe throw in refreshed 35 and 50mm primes and it's a pretty good initial offering IMO.

04-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #242
Veteran Member

Talked the CR Kennedy today. Arrival in country is 10 May officially. I wanted mine before the tenth, sad face. I'll be checking again next week. I think I'll have to wait till I get home now, another sad face. I thought I might change the shipping address to where I'll be but then I might have two cameras to fly home with and packing might be an issue. The first lot of orders may arrive in country before the tenth if customs etc. happens faster, fingers crossed.
04-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #243

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Talked the CR Kennedy today. Arrival in country is 10 May officially. I wanted mine before the tenth, sad face. I'll be checking again next week. I think I'll have to wait till I get home now, another sad face. I thought I might change the shipping address to where I'll be but then I might have two cameras to fly home with and packing might be an issue. The first lot of orders may arrive in country before the tenth if customs etc. happens faster, fingers crossed.
When did you pre-order? I was told shipping will start early next week. Is it possible your order missed the first shipment and 10 May is the second?
04-28-2016, 05:43 PM   #244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm.... official launch day...I wonder.

04-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #245
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kennod Quote
When did you pre-order? I was told shipping will start early next week. Is it possible your order missed the first shipment and 10 May is the second?

Were you told by CR Kennedy or by a retailer?

The launch has only been advertised the last week or so (IIRC), maybe it was a change of plan and not everyone is on the same page.
04-28-2016, 06:01 PM   #246
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My very reliable source very close to the K1 launch has informed me that the cameras are in the Country, have cleared customs and are now in CRK's hands, the only hold-up is the deal with their launch partners DigiDirect not to ship until official launch day.

Glenn
04-28-2016, 06:04 PM   #247

QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
Hmmm.... official launch day...I wonder.
Yes, this doesn't sound right. There is no way the official launch is scheduled for the day the shipment arrives. Far too risky. More likely that first shipment stock is available at least a week earlier. The question then is does the distributor delay fulfilment of pre-orders until after the official launch?

For those of us that pre-ordered early, April was the expected date. So while the official launch was subsequently planned for 10 May, I think it is unlikely that pre-orders would be deliberately held back.

Edit: I got an email reply from Ted's in Melbourne advising they will ship "early next week". I hedged my bets and pre-ordered from Ted's and CRK. I doubt they would tell me that unless it was confirmed.

---------- Post added 04-29-16 at 01:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
My very reliable source very close to the K1 launch has informed me that the cameras are in the Country, have cleared customs and are now in CRK's hands, the only hold-up is the deal with their launch partners DigiDirect not to ship until official launch day.

Glenn
Thanks Glenn. I can understand DigiDirect desire for exclusivity for official launch for new orders and perhaps get the jump on other retailers. But can't see why this should effect pre-orders. Neither Digidirect nor CRK stand to gain anything by delaying pre-orders.

04-28-2016, 06:19 PM   #248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Edit: I got an email reply from Ted's in Melbourne advising they will ship "early next week".... I doubt they would tell me that unless it was confirmed.

It could be that CRK originally planned to send them out as soon as they had them, but then subsequently decided to delay until the official launch. This decision might not have been taken when Ted's contacted CRK, or it may not have been completely disseminated to all CRK employees at that time.

Until we have confirmation from CRK that post-dates the launch advertising I suppose we're just theorising.
04-28-2016, 06:20 PM   #249
Veteran Member

. Neither Digidirect nor CRK stand to gain anything by delaying pre-orders.
If my preorder is held up because of the Sydney party, I'll do my best hence forth to not purchase another item, ever, from either party.

Oh, did I mention I feel quite strongly about this?

Last edited by noelpolar; 04-28-2016 at 06:28 PM.
04-28-2016, 06:22 PM   #250
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
If my preorder is held up because of the Sydney party, I'll do my best hence forth to not purchase another item, ever, from either party.

I called CRK and asked this and they said that the Sydney launch should not hold up shipment of orders.
04-28-2016, 06:25 PM   #251
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I called CRK and asked this and they said that the Sydney launch should not hold up shipment of orders.

OK, that sounds promising! How recently did you call them?
04-28-2016, 06:34 PM   #252
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have direct communication from CRK saying they are "hoping to get the pre-orders sent out before (the launch party)"
Great to hear they might have already landed in Oz!
04-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #253

Phew... all is well in the first world once more
04-28-2016, 07:14 PM   #254
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

we are at mercy of CRK...consequence of monopoly!
04-28-2016, 07:36 PM   #255
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote

You could go to the party and walk up and down the footpath outside wearing one of those protest sandwich boards, Noel! ☺