Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 12:19 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Senior Member
Painter's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 275
K-1 Pixel Shift Art Reproduction

I believe that by using pixel shift the K-1 will make itself the best camera for reproducing art. Certainly within the reach of the average person.



Here are some more detailed thoughts on it. Pentax K-1 (The best camera for reproducing art?) | Wallace Koopmans Artlog

02-20-2016, 12:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian
virusn3t's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 610
Hi, can you respond at this question? Did you use continuos light for this shoot or strobes?
02-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
enoeske's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surprise, Az
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,925
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Hi, can you respond at this question? Did you use continuos light for this shoot or strobes?
This is a sample shot from Ricoh. Since pixel-shift does not work with strobes, its safe to assume it was either natural or some form of continuous light.
02-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,604
It is a 5 second exposure at f8 as well, so whatever the light source was, it wasn't all that bright.

02-20-2016, 01:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
i83N's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lithuania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,154
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Hi, can you respond at this question? Did you use continuos light for this shoot or strobes?
No one woul let you use strobe when making reproduction, continuous light you can use but not for long periods. Natural defuse light is best for paintings health.
02-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian
virusn3t's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 610
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
This is a sample shot from Ricoh. Since pixel-shift does not work with strobes, its safe to assume it was either natural or some form of continuous light.
I still have hopes someday can be used with strobes, a few second delay between shoots, hot shoe active in every shot...

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
It is a 5 second exposure at f8 as well, so whatever the light source was, it wasn't all that bright.
I didnt see the exif, but yeah, with that exif seems like continuos light

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
No one woul let you use strobe when making reproduction, continuous light you can use but not for long periods. Natural defuse light is best for paintings health.
I dont make art reproduction (you dont want my butter finger holding expensive things) , but product photography, i am interested in use Pixel Shift but all my lightning equipment is based on Youngnuos YN560, maybe i could try some Youngnuo YN360 in the future, but i dont lose anything with asking...
02-20-2016, 02:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,843
Is it possible to get a before/after count-count of an image like the pixel-shift sample above?

I believe a pixel-shift image will not only have greater detail, but may also have greater colour depth. But need a colour count to confirm.
02-20-2016, 02:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian
gmans's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hunter Valley,NSW, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,469
Yes you can see the difference in the sample provided and you could say the same about static product photography would make a big difference.

02-20-2016, 02:13 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,843
Just for reference, the flower pic above is K-1 'Sample Image 5' from the K-1 web site:
Sample Image? PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING
02-20-2016, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian
virusn3t's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 610
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Yes you can see the difference in the sample provided and you could say the same about static product photography would make a big difference.
Yes, one K1 (or k3v2), continous light and a Schneider 90mm macro tilt/shift is all i need
02-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,140
Certainly. In pixel shift mode colors are even more accurate, and most artifacts are eliminated.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,333
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
No one woul let you use strobe when making reproduction, continuous light you can use but not for long periods. Natural defuse light is best for paintings health.
I presume you mean UV-filtered natural light. Museums, archives and art galleries often display works in very low artificial light to minimise the effects of UV, and many now use LED lighting which I understand is devoid of UV.

At the time I was involved with the subject, LEDs had a strong blue spike in their unfiltered spectrum, which was suppressed by coatings but still present to some degree, so their use for accurate colour reproduction may be problematic unless things have changed recently.
02-20-2016, 02:29 PM   #13
Site Supporter
i83N's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lithuania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,154
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
I dont make art reproduction (you dont want my butter finger holding expensive things) , but product photography, i am interested in use Pixel Shift but all my lightning equipment is based on Youngnuos YN560, maybe i could try some Youngnuo YN360 in the future, but i dont lose anything with asking...
I was teached in college how to shoot reproductions. I hope to use in product and macro photoset pixelshif too

---------- Post added 02-20-16 at 23:34 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I presume you mean UV-filtered natural light. Museums, archives and art galleries often display works in very low artificial light to minimise the effects of UV, and many now use LED lighting which I understand is devoid of UV.

At the time I was involved with the subject, LEDs had a strong blue spike in their unfiltered spectrum, which was suppressed by coatings but still present to some degree, so their use for accurate colour reproduction may be problematic unless things have changed recently.
Yes but ten six years ago when I was teached in college how to shoot reproductions LED weren't widely spred.

Last edited by i83N; 02-20-2016 at 02:35 PM.
02-20-2016, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian
gmans's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hunter Valley,NSW, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,469
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Certainly. In pixel shift mode colors are even more accurate, and most artifacts are eliminated.
The musuems will not be happy then if they are eliminated.
02-20-2016, 03:21 PM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,843
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Museums, archives and art galleries often display works in very low artificial light to minimise the effects of UV
Only in Australia, it seems to me. In most Australian museums and galleries nowadays, you almost need to bring a torch to see what is on display. Excessively dim light has become stupidly fashionable, even for objects already under heavy glass. But in Paris, for example, you can walk into a bright museum or gallery like the Musée d'Orsay and see Van Gogh or Renoir illuminated by lovely bright [diffused] daylight.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
art, camera, dont, dslr, full frame, full-frame, k-1, k1, pentax k-1, pixel, pixel shift, product, reproduction, reproductions, shift, uv
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions re: K-3 II pixel shift and Astrotracer gazelle01 Pentax K-3 102 03-06-2017 06:23 PM
K-1 and pixel shift Gimbal Pentax Full Frame 31 02-15-2016 10:14 PM
K-3 ii Pixel shift of stars / night sky Conqueror Pentax DSLR Discussion 33 07-10-2015 03:16 PM
K-3 II Pixel shift for Macro? Omestes Pentax K-3 6 06-12-2015 08:13 PM
K-3 II pixel shift resized. Wow factor. JimmyDranox Pentax K-3 21 04-25-2015 09:37 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top