Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 11:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
YouTube camera reviewer

Has anyone seen this guy review a camera before? He gave the new K-1 a rather lukewarm review; then claimed -- adamantly -- that NO ONE using Canon or Nikon would ever switch to the K-1. I tried to tell him that nothing is that absolute, but he says no way anyone will switch. Yikes. Know it alls. This guy had an attitude about the K-1 even before he read about it, and of course, he hasn't seen one yet.

02-20-2016, 11:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Never heard of this guy, but that's not surprising, as I'm frequently in the dark.

Oh, there will be a few switchers - I've already seen several comments on DPR about that. But really I don't think for most folks there's a compelling reason to switch to Pentax from another FF system... and that's OK. The K-1 isn't made for switchers - it's made for Pentaxians. And that's why it's beautiful.
02-20-2016, 11:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Never heard of this guy. But it's not surprising someone would come up and pretend K-1 is no big deal. Ignore him

Last edited by odyseuss; 04-27-2016 at 12:47 PM.
02-20-2016, 11:52 PM   #4
pjv
Eager To Learn

If the K-1 was 300 megapixels, made of gold and cost $25.99, some people would still rubbish it. But you know what, who cares what they think. It seems to be a winner, and that is all that matters to us. The knockers will never be pleased.

02-20-2016, 11:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K-1 is not designed to attract Canon/Nikon users. The K-1 is a great, affordable upgrade path for Pentaxians who already have some FF lenses, and who like Pentax style of DSLR (little features such as sensor stab, pixel-shift etc). Canon and Nikon also have their style, product range and many lenses to chose from. Good that you want to support Pentax as a brand of camera because you feel you belong to it.
02-21-2016, 12:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The thing he picked up on, and couldn't let go of, was the hyperbolic language used in the publicity material. Now, he could have put that aside after noting it, and discussed the other aspects of the camera without reference to it, but he didn't, and that's probably going to be the norm for some of these bloggers. Overall, though, he's right, as mentioned here and IIRC stated by a Ricoh senior manager, in that it is a camera initially, at least, aimed at satisfying the desires of many of the existing Pentax community.

At least he wasn't hostile and utterly dismissive, like someone else we could mention…

Amateur Photographer, by way of contrast, ran a quite favourable article on it, but they're probably not one of the "cool" commentators – you know, the ones who can talk under wet cement and have narrow experience but wide opinions.
02-21-2016, 12:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Look at other videos such as this one:
02-21-2016, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

A week ago, I would have said this was a DPR review because DPR has always seems so negative towards Pentax but at least since the release, they seem to really understand it and like it. This guy here, who I also never really saw reviewing before, has no clue about what this camera has and will do, and without that, he starts to bash it. He disregards weather sealing but I guess he has never shot in the rain, he doesn't understand the LED lights, but to me, for astrophotographers, that looks to be really cool and he doesn't even mention pixel shift. He looks like a dorm room guy sitting there, just finished his Little Ceaser's and said "Hey, lets read what CNET has to say about the K-1 and blog it". What is great is that the K-1 has has for the most part extremely favorable responses from well know sites and reviewers.

I would ignore this guy and tell him to just forget about reviewing what you don't know about and have another slice of Pizza.

02-21-2016, 02:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

We have thousands of these youtube reviewers.

Waiting for Ed!
02-21-2016, 02:27 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Waiting for Ed!
Waiting for ED; I suppose he'll wait for the K-1 to be delivered since he's probably not getting paid by Ricoh for making his vlogs.
02-21-2016, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Waiting for ED; I suppose he'll wait for the K-1 to be delivered since he's probably not getting paid by Ricoh for making his vlogs.
That is a fun thing in these video bloggers and reviewers in camera gear. I don't think any of them get paid. They all have to scrape money from sales, lectures and the like. You know, click on my button to purchase and I get 1% of the sale or something.

Very different from the young girls/boys doing vlogs in fashion. If they are good they get good payments to promote a lipstick or any other product. I live in a small language area, but the best vloggers earn 300.000 euro a year.

No wonder people don't expect to pay for photo's anymore.
02-21-2016, 05:52 AM   #12

The guy's a wedding photographer with a bedroom youtube channel. Not someone I would take too much advice from. Seriously, he says it has no innovations. WTF?

Looking at it from a psychological standpoint, there's a feedback loop of subconscious reasoning going on I guess. If he has an ego, as many photographers do (in spades), he probably believes himself to be the best. Therefore, since he likes Nikon and he is the best, then Nikon must be the best. Features that Nikon is not doing on its cameras therefore are not important! But if Nikon imitates eg. the astrotracer one day, then and only then will he be able to acknowledge the value of the innovation. But since Nikon has not affirmed its validity (and Nikon is the best remember) it has no value, and furthermore he is blind to them. The guy has a spec sheet in front of him and he cannot see what it says. His mind has closed.

Last edited by plooksta; 02-21-2016 at 06:22 AM.
02-21-2016, 06:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Heck Matt Grainger gave the K1 a luke warm reception...Why Because he's the Nikon guy or that's what he used to use for his moniker..None of these guys have even held one to know anything so mainly they're talking out there arses. Fanners are just that and one can't expect these types to give anything else coming from them. I just Shine it and move on. What's important is what YOU think of it and no one else.
02-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw his review, and it seems that's not against Pentax. He says that K-1 is a big step ahead for Pentaxians, but not a big deal for Canon and Nikon users. And the same was said in a form or another by almost every reviewer, including those who has a real camera in their hands.

So, what the big deal about him? He has an opinion. Or is someone expecting that the whole world will applaud the one and only Pentax FF?

The real point is if K-1 will attract new DSLR users. And I, as a Pentax lover (but Canon user), I think that K-1 has a great potential to do this.