Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Albums
Of the three possible wireless communication methods (NFC, Bluetooth, and IEEE 802.11 a.k.a. Wi-Fi), Wi-Fi offers more flexibility and (much) higher throughput. Everything that NFC and Bluetooth can do can be implemented in Wi-Fi through firmware. One could even tunnel USB and HDMI over Wi-Fi.

02-23-2016, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter

NFC is so the kids can instantly transfer their selfies to their friends' devices while they're still in the club... bump them together (aka "phone sex") and start the transfer... doesn't really satisfy a need of the target market of the K-1.
02-23-2016, 04:10 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
Everything that NFC and Bluetooth can do can be implemented in Wi-Fi
QuoteOriginally posted by SoftwareArtifex Quote
doesn't really satisfy a need of the target market of the K-1.
You may not realise that NFC is useful for lots of purposes, including where WiFi and Bluetooth are simply technology over-kill.

For example, I use NFC everyday with the NFC chip embedded in the 'smart cover' for my mobile. Everytime I open the cover up on my phone, it wakes the screen up, and when I close the cover, the screen switches off. Not much point using WiFi or Bluetooth for that.
02-23-2016, 04:35 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SoftwareArtifex Quote
NFC is so the kids can instantly transfer their selfies to their friends' devices while they're still in the club... bump them together (aka "phone sex") and start the transfer... doesn't really satisfy a need of the target market of the K-1.
Ever used public transportation; busses, Metro, trams, etc.? Most tickets are NFC cards now.

02-23-2016, 04:40 PM   #20
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Ever used public transportation; busses, Metro, trams, etc.? Most tickets are NFC cards now.
Not in the US. NFC use, including ApplePay, is failing here. RFID seems to be hanging on for that kind of thing.
02-23-2016, 04:42 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Not in the US. NFC use, including ApplePay'., is failing here.
Interesting, why?
02-23-2016, 04:51 PM   #22
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Interesting, why?
Installing the NFC infrastructure is prohibitively expensive. We don't have a high enough population density. Web payments over WPA protocol are the norm for transactions. For repetitive use such as a permanent parking pass or mass transit card or toll booth payment we issue a card with an RFID chip embedded and process the payment over the web.

There's an article linked at the orange NFC.
02-23-2016, 10:56 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Installing the NFC infrastructure is prohibitively expensive. We don't have a high enough population density. Web payments over WPA protocol are the norm for transactions. For repetitive use such as a permanent parking pass or mass transit card or toll booth payment we issue a card with an RFID chip embedded and process the payment over the web.

There's an article linked at the orange NFC.
Thanks