Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #16
Senior Member
aremmes's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 202
Of the three possible wireless communication methods (NFC, Bluetooth, and IEEE 802.11 a.k.a. Wi-Fi), Wi-Fi offers more flexibility and (much) higher throughput. Everything that NFC and Bluetooth can do can be implemented in Wi-Fi through firmware. One could even tunnel USB and HDMI over Wi-Fi.

02-23-2016, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 58
NFC is so the kids can instantly transfer their selfies to their friends' devices while they're still in the club... bump them together (aka "phone sex") and start the transfer... doesn't really satisfy a need of the target market of the K-1.
02-23-2016, 04:10 PM   #18
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,600
QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
Everything that NFC and Bluetooth can do can be implemented in Wi-Fi
QuoteOriginally posted by SoftwareArtifex Quote
doesn't really satisfy a need of the target market of the K-1.
You may not realise that NFC is useful for lots of purposes, including where WiFi and Bluetooth are simply technology over-kill.

For example, I use NFC everyday with the NFC chip embedded in the 'smart cover' for my mobile. Everytime I open the cover up on my phone, it wakes the screen up, and when I close the cover, the screen switches off. Not much point using WiFi or Bluetooth for that.
02-23-2016, 04:35 PM   #19
Pentaxian
i83N's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lithuania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,144
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SoftwareArtifex Quote
NFC is so the kids can instantly transfer their selfies to their friends' devices while they're still in the club... bump them together (aka "phone sex") and start the transfer... doesn't really satisfy a need of the target market of the K-1.
Ever used public transportation; busses, Metro, trams, etc.? Most tickets are NFC cards now.

02-23-2016, 04:40 PM   #20
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,498
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Ever used public transportation; busses, Metro, trams, etc.? Most tickets are NFC cards now.
Not in the US. NFC use, including ApplePay, is failing here. RFID seems to be hanging on for that kind of thing.
02-23-2016, 04:42 PM   #21
Pentaxian
i83N's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lithuania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,144
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Not in the US. NFC use, including ApplePay'., is failing here.
Interesting, why?
02-23-2016, 04:51 PM   #22
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,498
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Interesting, why?
Installing the NFC infrastructure is prohibitively expensive. We don't have a high enough population density. Web payments over WPA protocol are the norm for transactions. For repetitive use such as a permanent parking pass or mass transit card or toll booth payment we issue a card with an RFID chip embedded and process the payment over the web.

There's an article linked at the orange NFC.
02-23-2016, 10:56 PM   #23
Pentaxian
i83N's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lithuania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,144
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Installing the NFC infrastructure is prohibitively expensive. We don't have a high enough population density. Web payments over WPA protocol are the norm for transactions. For repetitive use such as a permanent parking pass or mass transit card or toll booth payment we issue a card with an RFID chip embedded and process the payment over the web.

There's an article linked at the orange NFC.
Thanks

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, full frame, full-frame, k-1, k1, nfc, pentax k-1
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SMC Pentax 1:1.8/55 K-mount, no Infinity Focus timmijo Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 12-28-2015 05:58 PM
K-3, no AF, no exposure, going to repair. zantaphia Pentax K-3 8 12-13-2015 02:51 AM
K-50 no preview, no response doctorNico Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 11-04-2015 02:26 AM
K-S2 No sync pulse using M when above 1/160 fb_penpho Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 4 07-08-2015 05:04 AM
NFC Championship Photos (11 imgs.) camperguy01 Post Your Photos! 10 01-23-2008 04:50 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top