Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2016, 10:05 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the LCD to appear in focus, it would have to be located in the same plane that the lens focuses onto. If I remember correctly, the point of focus on a focus screen is the *bottom* of the screen, not the top. Consequently, the LCD overlay would have to be bonded to the bottom side of the focus screen. When you remove the focus screen, the LCD overlay would come with it. As an electrical engineer, I can tell you that those LCD segment drivers don't get damaged if a display is detached, so you should have no problem removing the focus screen / LCD assembly, and replacing it with another focus screen, but you'd lose all your LCD overlays (unless the third-party focus screen manufacturers got really fancy and started bonding LCDs to their screens -- highly unlikely).

As soon as I finally get my K-1 delivered (ugh, thanks Adorama...), I'll verify this and report back.

05-11-2016, 06:21 AM   #17

It's not a retaining tab, I promise you. It's much higher than the bottom of the focusing screen, there's no metal frame holding the screen there. It's set into a plastic casting from above.
05-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #18

It's not something I would attempt. If the LCD itself is anything like the LCDs in the digital watches I've taken apart. It is a couple of pieces of glass sandwiched together and not much thicker than a razor blade. Very fragile - if you've ever dealt with glass microscope coverslips you'll get the idea. Plus the edge connectors are a very thin film coating also very delicate. If any of those get damaged, dirty or not seated properly you'll end up with dead segments on the display.
05-11-2016, 01:22 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It actually does look like a retaining clip for an assembly which includes both the overlay display and the focusing screen, placed into some black frame. You can clearly make out a clear glass at the bottom and, when you turn on the camera, the displayed elements in front of the focusing screen on the top side of that glass. It looks like a serviceable part as a unit to me, but definitely nothing I would just try and release.

Focusing manual lenses feels somewhat tricky again after having used an 'S-Type' screen in my K-5 for a long time. BUT the focus confirmation is much more decisive and reproduceable to the degree it may actually work for a lot of situations (in contrast to K-5) and in addition live view, even without focus peak display, is much more responsive und usable with magnification, especially with the adjustable display. So I guess I'll just enjoy the bigger and brighter viewfinder until somebody with access to service manuals/drawings/instructions can conclude on the changability of the focusing screen for a more manual-focus oriented one. Could Pentax be convinced to offer one at some point?

05-11-2016, 01:54 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
BUT the focus confirmation is much more decisive and reproduceable to the degree it may actually work for a lot of situations
Unfortunately, the focus sensitivity using focus confirm, even with the center column points, will never be better than f/2.8. This is great for most lenses, but not so good for fine focus with f/2 or faster.

Steve
05-11-2016, 11:50 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
It actually does look like a retaining clip for an assembly which includes both the overlay display and the focusing screen, placed into some black frame. You can clearly make out a clear glass at the bottom and, when you turn on the camera, the displayed elements in front of the focusing screen on the top side of that glass. It looks like a serviceable part as a unit to me, but definitely nothing I would just try and release.
So go ahead and release the "clip" and settle the issue once in for all. Just don't hold me responsible for any damage. I'm not the one that said it was the retaining clip

So which Nikons have LCD overlays? Are the screen interchangeable on those?

By the way you can get somewhat of an idea of the relationship of the pentaprism, LCD and focus screen from the cutaway model picture.

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-12-2016 at 02:44 AM.
05-12-2016, 06:35 AM   #22

with fixed super bright crap screen the main advantage of having good k-mount FF camera with big OVF disappears unless shooting with modern AF tele lens.
Even with AF lenses i do 80% shots in manual, definitely my focus and recompose tech is very poor, so till installation of s-type screen to my k5 had more than 50% shots missed in AF mode and 80% missed in manual when using 31, 43, 50 and 77, and most important for me 90 2.0 cron is veery hard to focus without s-type screen. Of course there is live view but really hate it

05-12-2016, 11:29 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
So which Nikons have LCD overlays? Are the screen interchangeable on those?
I believe the D810 has an LCD overlay...here are the instructions to replace the screen:

Nikon D4 D4s D700 D810 Focusing Screen Installation Instruction

It appears that Nikon applies their LCD somewhere in the optical path other than at the focus screen surface.

Steve
05-12-2016, 07:35 PM   #24

Well, I will admit to not looking closely enough at that device. It is some sort of clip. But I'm not going to be the first Guinea Pig to poke at it.

Even on my LX, where the focusing screen is supposed to be interchangeable, I have trouble getting it to stay latched shut.
05-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ah go on :P

It's still under warranty
05-13-2016, 01:20 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by John Shriver Quote
Well, I will admit to not looking closely enough at that device. It is some sort of clip. But I'm not going to be the first Guinea Pig to poke at it.
Sooner or later, someone will give it a try. Unless you have a burning desire to cut a screen down for that camera, no sense inviting trouble

Steve
05-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

EDIT:

Mine looks like a clasp over a nub,but under the front edge of the black frame. It looks completely separate from the underside of the housing. Not like it is attached to the frame. *

* but the only focusing screen I've ever attempted was on a beater MX. It subsequently went to Eric as a bunch of camera parts in a Ziplok bag.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-13-2016 at 04:09 PM.
05-13-2016, 03:26 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Mine doesn't look lik a clip. I looks completely separate from the underside of the housing. *

* but the only focusing screen I've ever attempted was on a beater MX. It subsequently went to Eric as a bunch of camera parts in a Ziplok bag.
How does it compare to the retainer on your K-3?

Steve
05-13-2016, 04:06 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How does it compare to the retainer on your K-3?

Steve
I meant to edit that post. On close inspection it looks like a tiny retaining clip, but not for the frame. My K-3 is at home. My K-1 is on a monopod at he moment.