Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2016, 07:10 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fixed focusing screen?

I just noticed that the focusing screen on the K-1 can't be changed. I wonder if this is related to the LCD overlay.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-1/feature/04.html

Any thoughts?

02-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think there are probably some electrical cables involved with the new focus screen + LCD overlay that were not there in previous Pentaxes.

But in general, the jury is still out. The K-1 factory-installed focus screen, and viewfinder, might turn out to be great in every way. Hence making the idea of replacement focusing screens redundant.
02-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I think there are probably some electrical cables involved with the new focus screen + LCD overlay that were not there in previous Pentaxes.

But in general, the jury is still out. The K-1 factory-installed focus screen, and viewfinder, might turn out to be great in every way. Hence making the idea of replacement focusing screens redundant.
it's the same as in the K-3.
02-22-2016, 08:09 AM   #4

Please insert my standard whine about focusing screens here.

02-22-2016, 08:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
it's the same as in the K-3.
I have replaced the focussing screen in my K3 without any issue. Nor sure what you are talking about??
02-22-2016, 08:29 AM   #6

I think he means it is made from the same material / surface as the K3 screen. Minolta in the film days called their standard screens something or other touting as x% sharper / brighter then other screens.

The LCD could well have something to do with it. Perhaps the LCD and screen are fused into a unit. We won't know until somebody gets their hands on a production model and tries to remove the screen. Or may be Ricoh will display a cut-in-half model at CP+
02-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It unclear at present just what the focus screen situation is outside of Ricoh's very explicit statement that the screen is not replaceable. Here are the talking points as I understand them:
  • The K-1 screen features the same surface as current model APS-C Pentax cameras (Natural Bright Matte III)
  • The screen used on current model APS-C Pentax cameras is deficient for manual focus using even moderately fast lenses. Whether that deficiency carries over to the K-1 is unknown at present.
  • Various other model Pentax cameras from the past have been billed as having non-replaceable screen, but that later turned out to be untrue. That being said, those cameras were not made under Ricoh ownership.
  • Photos of the pre-production camera reviewed on the Web in the last week or so clearly show what appears to be a retention tab adjacent to the focus screen that is essentially identical to that on the K-3 and other Pentax bodies
  • Some have suggested that the lower section part of the viewfinder display showing camera status messages might be in the way. Not knowing how the system is actually built, that is hard to determine, though all Pentax dSLRs supporting interchangeable screens from the *ist series through to current models feature a similar display layout. On those bodies the status display itself is located in a different area of the pentaprism housing and is presented to the viewer through a different optical path exclusive of the prism.
  • There is conjecture that the K-1's designers may have opted to fuse the LCD overlay to the focus screen. This may well be, though it should be noted that Nikon cameras have featured a similar LCD overlay for several years on their interchangeable screen bodies without requiring a fused assembly.
Executive summary? We don't know for certain at this point and won't know until some owner or technician (Roger Cicola*, are you listening?) does a tear-down analysis.

Steve

* Cicola is the technical blogger at lensrental.com and has conducted very thorough and enlightening tear-down analysis of recent interchangeable lens cameras and lenses.

02-22-2016, 09:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Presumably the useful LED active focus point indicators are still there - or have they been replaced by the LCD overlay ?
02-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I think I saw that some previous Pentax camera had this statement about non replaceable focusing screen and had it replaceable. Maybe the K200D.
We need to wait to confirm this spec with a real model on hands. It might just be said because Ricoh will not produce alternative focusing screen as their options are kind of included in the overlay. Maybe it's still compatible with unsupported third party screens.
02-22-2016, 01:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

With other cameras, Pentax was happy to sell focusing screens to users - even listing them in the 'Accessories' section of the K-5 and 645Z manual, for example - and make a little bit of extra $$ by doing so.

The lack of such an option in the K-1 suggests (to me) that it may be technically harder to do in the K-1, compared to other Pentaxes.
05-10-2016, 06:16 AM   #11

Definitely not user-replaceable. Definitely poor for manual focus with fast glass (50/1.2, 100/1.8). The O-ME53 magnifier makes it possible, but still quite demanding, and the O-ME53 is not compatible with eyeglasses. But, there's focus confirmation (works well) and live view (works quite well).
05-10-2016, 06:38 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The lack of such an option in the K-1 suggests (to me) that it may be technically harder to do in the K-1, compared to other Pentaxes.
Or since the grid pattern on the LCD can be changed there is no need to change the screen to get a different grid pattern. Maybe Ricoh should simulate a split-image in the center for the focus confirmation symbol.
05-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by John Shriver Quote
Definitely not user-replaceable. Definitely poor for manual focus with fast glass (50/1.2, 100/1.8). The O-ME53 magnifier makes it possible, but still quite demanding, and the O-ME53 is not compatible with eyeglasses. But, there's focus confirmation (works well) and live view (works quite well).
Seems this is the most disappointing thing about K1.
05-10-2016, 08:28 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by John Shriver Quote
Definitely not user-replaceable.
I would not expect you to potentially void your warranty, but did you flip the retaining tab?

Steve
05-10-2016, 08:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yeah can someone have a look at this and sort it for once?