Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #16
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,041
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Or the 28, 50, 135?

And to answer your question, yes.

Note that 36mp on FF is roughly the pixel density of the k-5 so we are not breaking new ground here.
Using current primes is one thing, but would you buy 31, 43, 77 for the K1. My answer is no. I did not really like the 77 on K5 - too long and color fringing was quite visible - and it is a long way from APS-C corners to the edge of FF. Especially the 31 will not perfrom great wide open. K1 is the camera, lenses should follow.

02-26-2016, 01:32 PM   #17
Site Supporter
sunny16's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 272
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Using current primes is one thing, but would you buy 31, 43, 77 for the K1. My answer is no. I did not really like the 77 on K5 - too long and color fringing was quite visible - and it is a long way from APS-C corners to the edge of FF. Especially the 31 will not perfrom great wide open. K1 is the camera, lenses should follow.
Well, the corners on the 31mm wide open are not perfect... But you wouldn't normally expect to shoot a fast, wide-angle lens in that manner (such as a landscape shot.) Center sharpness is great at 1.8 and the corners sharpen up quickly with just a bit stopping down (based on my experience with my copy on the Sony A7 series.) I've seen nothing in my experience that lessons my expectations for any of the FA limited lenses on FF DSLR.

Fringing / CA can be an issue but it is one that is so easy to fix (in most situations) that it really becomes a non-issue in my opinion. Most modern lenses have the same amount or worse, it is just that all that stuff is getting auto fixed in-camera now. Pentax mentions built in profiles in the K-1 for certain older lenses so it might be the same for these now.
02-28-2016, 04:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 482
QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
Well, the corners on the 31mm wide open are not perfect... But you wouldn't normally expect to shoot a fast, wide-angle lens in that manner (such as a landscape shot.) Center sharpness is great at 1.8 and the corners sharpen up quickly with just a bit stopping down ...
I often see a similar situation happening for the FA43. People get concerned about the corner sharpness with the lens wide open, based on MTF test results.

But when wide open, the DOF is very shallow, and here the whole idea is to isolate the main subject from the background, which is meant to be blurred. So the lens' edge sharpness when wide open is in fact not field-relevant.

---------- Post added 02-29-16 at 08:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote

Fringing / CA can be an issue but it is one that is so easy to fix (in most situations) that it really becomes a non-issue in my opinion. Most modern lenses have the same amount or worse, it is just that all that stuff is getting auto fixed in-camera now. Pentax mentions built in profiles in the K-1 for certain older lenses so it might be the same for these now.
The 31, 43 & 77 are included in that list.

---------- Post added 02-29-16 at 08:56 AM ----------

Interesting to note that our own forum member "JPT" recently attended CP+ and viewed large prints of shots taken with FA43 and FA31 (at f5 and f4 respectively), using the K-1. He saw no weakness at the corners.

You can check out his thread.

Last edited by KDAFA; 02-28-2016 at 08:54 PM.
02-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Fenwoodian's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,274
Zeiss ZK 25mm f/2.8 Distagon
Zeiss ZK 35mm f/2 Distagon
Zeiss ZK 85mm f/1.4 Planar

Distagon and Planar optics have been around forever and are certainly time tested.

02-28-2016, 09:16 PM   #20
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Far North Qld, Australia
Posts: 179
Can someone please clarify this whole 'older glass wont work very well on the K-1'? I have a M50 f1.4 and its my favourite lens. What do people mean when they say the glass isn't good enough to resolve 36mp? Thanks
02-28-2016, 09:38 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,024
QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
Can someone please clarify this whole 'older glass wont work very well on the K-1'? I have a M50 f1.4 and its my favourite lens. What do people mean when they say the glass isn't good enough to resolve 36mp? Thanks

See Post #10, CurledNoodles.
02-28-2016, 10:05 PM   #22
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Far North Qld, Australia
Posts: 179
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
See Post #10, CurledNoodles.


Thanks, I read that but im still confused. Is there an ELI5 (Explain like I'm 5) version?
02-28-2016, 10:13 PM   #23
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,462
QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote
You can check out his thread.
There is no rule against linking to a referenced thread.


Steve

02-28-2016, 10:51 PM - 3 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,462
QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
Is there an ELI5 (Explain like I'm 5) version?
Sure!

See the nice Pentax-FA 77/1.8 Limited. It was designed a long time ago (1999) before some of the people reading this were born. It was designed before megapickles were born too.


  • This lens was was made to be the best
  • This lens has not changed
  • The K-1 sensor is very good
  • The K-5 sensor is also very good
  • Both are very good in the same way, only the K-1's is bigger
  • This lens makes beautiful photos on the K-5
  • This lens makes beautiful photos on Ektar 100
  • This lens is not worried or stressed since it doesn't know the K-1's sensor is bigger than the K-5's or that the Ektar 100 has no megapickles
  • This lens will make beautiful photos on the K-1



Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-29-2016 at 01:14 PM.
02-28-2016, 11:15 PM   #25
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,462
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is no rule against linking to a referenced thread.


Steve
This is the thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/315224-my-report-cp-2016-a.html

The original post mentions several large prints taken with the FA-series Limiteds and also references a video posted to DPReview that shows a large print from the FA 43 Limited on the K-1 (@2:20):

CP+ 2016: Pentax K-1 past and present: Digital Photography Review


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-28-2016 at 11:21 PM.
02-29-2016, 12:17 PM   #26
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 249
I am looking forward to using my K 28 3.5, 50 1.2 and M85 2.0 on the K1.
02-29-2016, 03:22 PM   #27
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Far North Qld, Australia
Posts: 179
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sure!

See the nice Pentax-FA 77/1.8 Limited. It was designed a long time ago (1999) before some of the people reading this were born. It was designed before megapickles were born too.

  • This lens was was made to be the best
  • This lens has not changed
  • The K-1 sensor is very good
  • The K-5 sensor is also very good
  • Both are very good in the same way, only the K-1's is bigger
  • This lens makes beautiful photos on the K-5
  • This lens makes beautiful photos on Ektar 100
  • This lens is not worried or stressed since it doesn't know the K-1's sensor is bigger than the K-5's or that the Ektar 100 has no megapickles
  • This lens will make beautiful photos on the K-1


Steve


Great! Thanks. So what youre saying is, this whole argument is pointless and my old glass is gonna be awesome on the K-1!
02-29-2016, 04:29 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,436
QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
Great! Thanks. So what youre saying is, this whole argument is pointless and my old glass is gonna be awesome on the K-1!
Well I think you've got it. That's my belief, too and I have a large number of manual lenses.

Part of the argument stems from changed taste in image sharpness since images are mostly viewed on screens now - and Retina screens further promote a less-than sharp image as a poor image. Older lenses - film lenses - were often designed to be intentionally sharp in the center and softer away from the center to isolate the subject. I like the old rendering. Your lenses will perform just fine on the K-1. Shoot what your opinion says is good and don't let people with different tastes deter you.
02-29-2016, 10:30 PM   #29
Site Supporter
vagrant10's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: portland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,361
there have been many peopke who have used the fa limiteds on sony a7's who have been happy with the results.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
corners, dslr, fa43, full frame, full-frame, k-1, k1, lens, lenses, pentax k-1, post, primes, sharpness
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: K/M/A 3rd Pty Zenitar 16mm, Spiratone 18mm, 645-K adapter, TC's MightyMike Sold Items 76 12-25-2016 07:46 AM
Your set of 3 primes - and nothing more? wullemaha Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 238 08-11-2015 06:04 AM
Top 3 DFA Primes Wishlist TomTextura Pentax Full Frame 162 07-20-2015 03:22 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax SMC A 35-105mm f/3.5 Stack of primes davidgreen3003 Sold Items 2 07-02-2013 11:33 AM
4 zooms+3 Primes + 1 Body = ..... -=JoN=- Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 03-14-2007 06:15 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:38 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top