Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a lot of photgraphers and a lot of reviewers in a lot of formats, and most of the K-1 review samples are probably still in Japan. TBH, I may have watched one of Tony's videos, ever. Maybe that's my fault. Rather than complain about the incompetence of not giving Tony a camera to review, and dragging Kenspo into it, a more productive action would have been to contact Adam and see if he could let his contacts in Denver know about it.

Some context, for those who are newish or haven't been paying attention: Ricoh Imaging North America has a staff of about sixty people, from the president down to the mailroom clerk. That's sixty people for the largest consumer economy on the planet. Jim Malcom took over in 2012. He has the unenviable job of rebuilding their US presence. Jim's predecessor, Ned Bunnell, was by all accounts a nice guy, but his job under Hoya was to cut costs, dismantle the camera sales & support network, and only sell medical imaging equipment. (In his off time, he enjoyed photography - with his Leica.) The result is that Jim Malcom is starting from slightly worse than nothing, as the remaining brick-and-mortar stores are still angry about how Hoya/Pentax abandoned them. It's a huge undertaking, and Ricoh Japan is tight with the purse strings, as it may be a lost cause. This is going to take time.

Last edited by THoog; 02-24-2016 at 08:39 AM.
02-24-2016, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #32
Lens Buying Addict

Jim Malcolm elected President of PMDA.

Competent. According to the rest of the photographic industry.
02-24-2016, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
DPR and IR were hints. They're the players that have earned (and demand) first crack. They got first crack and read how they responded - that's shoe leather marketing.
This is key. It's way too easy to lose all control over your message to your market by putting your products in the hands of every reviewer you can find via a Google search, most of whom will do anything to get clicks. There are hundreds (thousands?) of people producing photography related videos for the Internet and almost all of what they produce ends up as noise. The cost to produce reviews is so low, anyone and everyone can do it, resulting in chaos.

How do you stand out from the rabble, if you are a reviewer? You need exclusives, so your site comes up in Google searches when end users go looking for third party information. The various web sites that review products of any type need the manufacturers and marketers (most substantial reviews start with PR people "placing" reviews just like they place advertising) more than the manufacturers and marketers need people to review their products.

Look how many "reviews" of the K-1 have already been posted by people who have never had their hands on one. Unlike some previous product releases, most of these speculative reviews have been positive and that is because Ricoh Imaging (and Jim Malcolm deserves special credit for any and all positive buzz in the U.S.) has done a much better job of controlling their messages. This product launch could have gone south (figuratively speaking) for dozens of reasons, especially when it was abruptly delayed by six months. Instead, every K-1 review that comes out after today that isn't positive will have to justify their negativity in order to be credible. That's pretty good marketing, in my opinion.
02-24-2016, 08:55 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Jim Malcolm had at least two Q&A sessions with users on FB and it was posted to this forum. He's been pretty active with Pentax USA. I forget the name of his predecessor that wasn't as interesting or helpful.

02-24-2016, 11:53 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
This is key. It's way too easy to lose all control over your message to your market by putting your products in the hands of every reviewer you can find via a Google search, most of whom will do anything to get clicks. There are hundreds (thousands?) of people producing photography related videos for the Internet and almost all of what they produce ends up as noise. The cost to produce reviews is so low, anyone and everyone can do it, resulting in chaos.
Good point.

I've watched a few of Mr Northrup's videos and found them accurate and helpful, as well as quite practical. His preview of the K-1 is obviously evidence of some sort of good marketing by Ricoh, as it got him fired up enough to kvetch about getting a camera. And he's been very complimentary of Pentax for value, features, and whatnot.

That being said, if I had limited review gear I'd swing it to those that did written reviews, not just videos. He would probably do a very positive review, but when people go buy DSLRs they spend an inordinate amount of time, it seems to me, on comparisons, and that's probably why IR and DPR have all those comparo tools and constant "best x type camera" features.

But having said that, sending out tons of K-1's with a new lens seems like a relatively cheap way to get publicity especially if its only loaners.
02-25-2016, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by apete Quote
Worth to know you are keeping an eye on that.
I have just sent him email. Let's see if/what he answers
Just to give status update, Tony has quickly answered my email about K-1 and I have already forwarded our short conversation to Kenspo
02-25-2016, 09:14 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
On that section of the Special Site Pentax will post photographs taken with many different lenses, sorted by lens, and apparently allow users to upload photos as well.
Oh so it's just a gallery.
To me, the name "lens testing lab" suggested, i can send in my old lenses and they calibrate them or something :-)

thanks!
02-25-2016, 09:17 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
Oh so it's just a gallery.
To me, the name "lens testing lab" suggested, i can send in my old lenses and they calibrate them or something :-)
I expected some sort of simulation where you can select any lens and it shows you the level of vignetting, sharpness etc. for any given focal length and aperture.

If it's really just a gallery of pictures taken with different lenses, then the term 'lab' might be a bit of a hyperbole.

02-25-2016, 09:26 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Why would Pentax/Ricoh send Tony a loaner K1 to test when they do not do so with Lloyd Chambers (aka diglloyd).

Lloyd told me that he's going to do a detailed K1 test, but needs to wait until April to get his K1, just like the rest of us.

I would expect that Lloyd's website gets much more traffic than does Tony's.
02-25-2016, 09:42 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Why would Pentax/Ricoh send Tony a loaner K1 to test when they do not do so with Lloyd Chambers (aka diglloyd).

Lloyd told me that he's going to do a detailed K1 test, but needs to wait until April to get his K1, just like the rest of us.

I would expect that Lloyd's website gets much more traffic than does Tony's.
It might make a difference to them if it's YouTube vs a fixed site. The former has subscribers; advertisers tend to like that since stuff gets pushed to the subscribers (think Twitter and FB too) rather than relying on someone visiting a web site.

I think it must be interesting for a brand like Ricoh which is kinda struggling against the tide online. Lots of folks will have the K-1 the day it lands, and I'd bet many of those folks are the types who'll push out "reviews" toot sweet, if even just unboxing videos. If there's one tiny little flaw in that camera it will get reported and magnified out of all proportion all over message boards, product reviews at Amazon, B&H, etc. Even if you don't like 'em, reviewers like digilloyd, Northrup, DPR, and of course here at least attempt to be as professional as possible and fair to the product. It would seem that a manufacturer would try to get out ahead by pushing out product to those online reviewers first, before placing themselves at the mercy of the first OCD pixelpeeper who writes a long whine in a Amazon review.
02-25-2016, 10:43 AM   #41
Site Supporter

We could all inundate Ricoh Imaging with emails suggesting sending a K-1 and lenses to Tony and Lloyd!
02-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
We could all inundate Ricoh Imaging with emails suggesting sending a K-1 and lenses to Tony and Lloyd!
I'm not sure it would be a good idea for them to send reviewers like Lloyd and Tony pre-production bodies ...

Even Kenspo still only has one of those, ditto all the K-1's on 'test and display' at CP+, according to the Lenstip guy's CP+ report.
02-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #43
Site Supporter

I agree with that. They don't have to send it right away.
02-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #44
Pentaxian

It's not so much the case of whether Tony gets a K-1 specifically or when he gets it, the important bit here is that according to him Ricoh have ignored him for a solid 2 years, not sending him anything to review, including stuff already released of which they should have more than enough lying around.
02-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #45
Lens Buying Addict

Here you go.

Linnea Wolken is the new (October, 2015) Director of Marketing for US and Canada.

Make your case.*

* Note: There isn't a Marketing Department, per se. There's one or two people and a Secretary, who do everything from the Website administration and Webstore to Convention Planning to what we think of as Marketing. The position was filled in August, 2013, vacated some time later, and recently re-filled. Same with Public Relations. As Ricoh rebuilds and changes the business model from fixed cost to variable cost there is some personnel turnover and some policy change.

That doesn't make them incompetent and it doesn't mean anyone is being ignored. Let's temper our invective and try to be pleasant and helpful. That's my point.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-25-2016 at 01:40 PM.