Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
How would you use it?
In theory, you can do hyper sync with any flash of sufficient power assuming the shutter curtain dwell (transit time) is shorter than the flash duration.* As with other Pentax dSLR models, the K-1 (probably) does not trigger x-sync through the hot shoe at shutter speeds faster than the X-sync speed unless a compatible flash in HSS mode is detected. The solution is to provide the option to dumb down the flash sync in M mode and let the user deal with any curtain blackout.

Steve

* The theory is similar to that of FP flash sync supported on the Spotmatic and other vintage film cameras. FP sync was designed to work with a special class of flash bulbs that provide flash duration greater than the ~1/60s curtain dwell on that camera.

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-24-2016 at 05:40 PM.
02-24-2016, 05:44 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
hypersync are you referring to the PocketWizard system?
Hypersync only works at certain shutter speeds and is rather restrictive and inconsistent regarding the flash units, their power settings and the camera camera bodies it will work reliably with*. HSS is much more flexible, but it works better with IGBT flashes rather than Variable power flash units.

One thing a colleague of mine discovered about the D810 is that the maximum sync speed increases with crop: the D810 can natively sync without loss of flash illumination at 1/320th but - at 1.5X crop gives 1/500th 1.2X gives you 1/400th.
02-24-2016, 06:34 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
One thing a colleague of mine discovered about the D810 is that the maximum sync speed increases with crop:
Interesting! In crop, the curtains gets a running start, eh?

Steve
02-24-2016, 06:43 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is it possible that the K1 will fire a flash through the PC socket despite the shutter speed?

My old film cameras would fire through the PC socket no matter what I did to the rest of the settings, but they weren't all that bright...

- Eric

02-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

interesting! In crop, the curtains gets a running start
Exactly, however the issue remains as to whether Pentax will allow for the camera to send a sync signal at shutter speeds above 1/200th.
02-24-2016, 07:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

By hypersync are you referring to the PocketWizard system?
The term has been around a lot longer than the version of pocket wizards with that feature, but yeah.

---------- Post added 02-24-16 at 09:24 PM ----------

How would you use it?
One basic use is to cut down ambient light easily with moderately powerful strobes. Just an extra stop or two can make a difference. And at 1/180s max sync speed, even half a stop difference can help. Add the black banding to further cut down some of the sky, as an example, you get an extra win.
Putting a HSS flash in a modifier/softbox is also pretty darned near useless compared to a studio strobe in most cases.

One alternative is to get a more powerful strobe (more $$) and add ND filter (more $$) to help over-power the ambient light.
02-24-2016, 07:28 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Is it possible that the K1 will fire a flash through the PC socket despite the shutter speed?
That option would be nice and might even satisfy amoringello's requirements.

exactly, however the issue remains as to whether Pentax will allow for the camera to send a sync signal at shutter speeds above 1/200th.
I read one online comment where a user was able to trick the D810 to allow higher speeds by setting flipping up the onboard flash as HSS capable and putting sock over the flash. A dummy hot foot capable of P-TTL protocol emulation might work for Pentax. Edit: I just took a quick stroll through the D810 manual and the built-in flash does not appear to support auto-FP. Shutter speed automatically goes to between 1/250s and 1/60s when the flash goes up. It appears that the Nikon world is not that far off from Pentax except for the higher x-sync. (Me is ignert bout Nikon.)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-24-2016 at 07:52 PM.
02-24-2016, 11:27 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It appears that the Nikon world is not that far off from Pentax
That is why I think it is rather funny that people think Pentax is the only manufacturer that does this: there are others!
02-24-2016, 11:58 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That is why I think it is rather funny that people think Pentax is the only manufacturer that does this: there are others!
The grass is always browner on the Pentax side of the fence...

Steve
02-25-2016, 01:08 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The grass is always browner on the Pentax side of the fence...
You can fix that colour rendering by putting your Tak out in sunlight for a few days. .. ☺
02-25-2016, 02:14 AM   #26
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
The term has been around a lot longer than the version of pocket wizards with that feature, but yeah.

---------- Post added 02-24-16 at 09:24 PM ----------

One basic use is to cut down ambient light easily with moderately powerful strobes. Just an extra stop or two can make a difference. And at 1/180s max sync speed, even half a stop difference can help. Add the black banding to further cut down some of the sky, as an example, you get an extra win.
Putting a HSS flash in a modifier/softbox is also pretty darned near useless compared to a studio strobe in most cases.

One alternative is to get a more powerful strobe (more $$) and add ND filter (more $$) to help over-power the ambient light.
I do understand the use of HSS. What I wonder is how to use it when the curtain is covering a part of the sensor due to higher than 1/180 or the K-1s 1/200 shutter speed.
02-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I do understand the use of HSS. What I wonder is how to use it when the curtain is covering a part of the sensor due to higher than 1/180 or the K-1s 1/200 shutter speed.
Thats literally the only time to use HSS. Otherwise below 1/180 and now 1/200, its just regular sync.
02-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #28

Original Poster
On my k5iis I am able to do HS with the Pentax AF540 speedlight in the hot shoe. I confirmed just now, I took this shot at 1/8000 and the flash fired. No black curtain.

But I am unable to get the speedlight into wireless mode and HS at the same time because you need to have the cameras built in flash popped up for wireless mode to work. As soon as this is popped up, the max shutter is 180
Attached Images

02-25-2016, 10:04 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I'm not sure who thinks Pentax is the only one with odd quirks in their flash implementation, but yes, that would be a funny view. You can find silly problems with other brands - some Canon models won't fire a manual flash when in live view mode (at least some rebel models I've run into). Many brand choices come down to a decision of how exactly you'd like to be annoyed today.

My hands on Nikon experience is from ages ago, but a d50 could fire a manual flash at any speed, and with a rear curtain sync option. It happened to have an electronic shutter and could sync reliably and evenly at 1/1000sec with cheap radio triggers. I wouldn't expect anything this reliable without an electronic shutter, but ehh, let us take the risk.
02-25-2016, 12:54 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Many brand choices come down to a decision of how exactly you'd like to be annoyed today.
That would be a very cool thread to start on the non-Pentax section of this site. "How does your non-Pentax camera annoy your today?"

Steve