Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
autofocus better than crop/swivel back LCD

Just thinking aloud, and don't know if this is true, but given that the 36 or whatever # it is autofocus detection points on the K1 have to physically cover both full frame and the reduced crop mode, might that not mean that inevitably the autofocus when using crop mode is better than when using af on actual crop cameras? Because they're spread more over the crop area given that they have to cover FF too?

(hands up and pat yourself on the back if you get what I'm clumsily trying to say)

One other thing - believe it or not the thing that really has me excited about the K1 in terms of marketing is that cool unique flippy out back monitor thing. The videos of people holding the K-1 by that and shaking it about are already doing the rounds; precisely the sort of marketing and testament to ruggedness which does the cam and brand justice.

02-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Just thinking aloud, and don't know if this is true, but given that the 36 or whatever # it is autofocus detection points on the K1 have to physically cover both full frame and the reduced crop mode, might that not mean that inevitably the autofocus when using crop mode is better than when using af on actual crop cameras? Because they're spread more over the crop area given that they have to cover FF too?
I've been wondering the same thing. As far as I can tell, the extra points on the left and right are outside the old APS-C AF pattern, but still within the APS-C sensor area.

And I've also been wondering whether the entire AF system can be used pretty well unchanged in the next APS-C flagship camera. It seems to me that the AF system is more related to the lens path with the mirror down than to the sensor.
02-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Yes, with the amount of focus points in the K1, when you are shooting in crop mode, there should be more focus points to be able to be used. The problem I am seeing is that, from what I understand, the competition has 56 or more focus points. That is something that I see as a weak point in the K1.

The robustness of the screen is being shown very well. I want to see somebody turn on a K1 and then shake it around by the rear screen to see if the screen will fail by doing that.
02-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect crop will be preferred sports set up... with faster fps, and better AF coverage.

02-26-2016, 10:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A lot of people will correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't see how the crop mode will affect AF at all. In my mind crop mode is only a question of what area of the sensor that is beeing used.
02-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

There is a normal coverage on af-ponts in the FF-Mode, but a much better on in the crop field. For photographer who want the focus point always near the object this is an advantage. For most photographers using the central point and moving the cameras afterwards there is no advantage. (pixelpeeper with f 1.0 optics will complain about this old fashiones method). For AFC there is an advantage in crop mode, the object will be longer in the Focus area.

Interesting for the focussing is the covered area by the focus-sensors, which is much relativly much bigger in the crop mode (but the same size absolutely)
02-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If you are expecting the camera to choose the focus point from the extremes of the frame, then yes, crop mode may prove more satisfying.

Steve

02-26-2016, 12:10 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
A lot of people will correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't see how the crop mode will affect AF at all. In my mind crop mode is only a question of what area of the sensor that is beeing used.
The AF points are clustered toward the central area of the sensor. When in crop mode, the edges of the frame will be closer to those AF points. As a result, for crop mode photography, more of the frame will be covered by AF points compared to our existing APS-C cameras.
02-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

(hands up and pat yourself on the back if you get what I'm clumsily trying to say)

One other thing - believe it or not the thing that really has me excited about the K1 in terms of marketing is that cool unique flippy out back monitor thing. The videos of people holding the K-1 by that and shaking it about are already doing the rounds; precisely the sort of marketing and testament to ruggedness which does the cam and brand justice.
All 33 of the autofocus detection points are within the part of the sensor that corresponds to the cropped APS-C area within which the image is recorded when an APS-C lens is mounted.
02-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The AF points are clustered toward the central area of the sensor. When in crop mode, the edges of the frame will be closer to those AF points. As a result, for crop mode photography, more of the frame will be covered by AF points compared to our existing APS-C cameras.

There. BiMackCam has stated it clearly before I had a chance (no offense to Nass' effort).
02-26-2016, 01:42 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you haven't used an articulating rear screen you're in for a treat. Wifi and smart phone control obviates the need for this somewhat, but only with the rig on a tripod (you can do it with one device in each hand, but it's clumsy and hard to reach buttons on the phone one-handed, etc). Taking macro shot without getting your face in the subject, easier shielding from the sun, low angle shots, etc. You don't realize how biased you are to eye-level shots until you start to use it at other levels and angles, and see what you can do with that creatively. Unless you've done a lot of video, where using screens in different positions or off the camera is much more common.
02-26-2016, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another advantage of getting lower easily with a tilt-screen is recreating the "Rolleiflex Perspective." Doing that when using a wide or ultra-wide angle lens will eliminate people looking as though they taper from a huge head and shoulders down to tapering legs and tiny little feet. Instead, they'll taper both upward and downward from a big midsection. Please do not use this WA perspective on someone whose friendship you value.