Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K1 - Firmware things that would be nice to have

Well, we already know the hardware spects of the camera and most of us are pretty happy with it, specially the price factor.. but im also wondering how this camera could be even better if RICOH can implement some software tweaks that could be really nice and make it even more attractive, things maybe in the near future RICOH could implement via firmware updates.. for example i would like to have ( if is not already included at the 1.0 firmware )

- Different colors at focus peaking ( for example: red, green, white, blue, and not only white as we have with other models, this will help alot with manual legacy glass )

- Focus peaking while doing video ( this will make many videographers happy even if this camera is not really ment for videographers )

- AF at video mode ( is this hardware or software thing?? )

What else could be nice??

02-28-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
More options for crop modes such as: 16x9, 4x3, 1x1, APSh I think it may be possible to provide the framing lines with the transparent LCD in the viewfinder but of course we can't be certain yet.
02-28-2016, 04:47 PM   #3

I want to see:

-5 axis mechanical stabilisation in video mode? I heard it is electronic stablisation now due to noise of the stabalisation.
-Faster frame rates if they can?
-General AF performance improvements
02-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I dont make videos but mechanical SR could be nice, they say is noisy this way, but im shure the option of turn off/on, can be useful, let us handle the noise in post, same as the crop factor on the lenses

02-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
- Focus peaking while doing video ( this will make many videographers happy even if this camera is not really ment for videographers )
During the interview we asked them this, and they were surprised available. Expecting a follow-up response.

As a more general note, Pentax tends to add features through newer models, rather than firmware, so I would expect most of the features in this thread to be candidates for the K-1 successor.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-28-2016, 05:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax tends to add features through newer models, rather than firmware, so I would expect most of the features in this thread to be candidates for the K-1 successor.
yes that true.. but im also wondering when will the sucessor might come? FF cameras tend to have longer periods betweet each model, and i think that as many features RICOH could implement with this camera via firmware it will be even more attractive to catch new users. For the next model we might see 42mp sensor, 4k, more fps, etc, etc.. but mean while, "small" software tweaks could be nice a nice users catch.
02-28-2016, 05:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The K3 has autofocus in video mode. It is cdaf, so not spectacular.

02-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I second the 1:1 aspect ratio crop in-camera.

It would let me play Rollei with the K1... Especially if they flipped the video feed on the screen...

And a user-configurable crop would be terrific so we could crop to where we're OK with a lense's performance.

- Eric
02-28-2016, 07:12 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
I dont make videos but mechanical SR could be nice, they say is noisy this way, but im shure the option of turn off/on, can be useful, let us handle the noise in post, same as the crop factor on the lenses

Indeed, I don't make video too, but it would be very handy for once in a while video recording.
02-28-2016, 07:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

How can you ask for improvement when version 1 of the software is not out yet , it's still beta.
02-28-2016, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #11

During the interview we asked them this, and they were surprised available. Expecting a follow-up response.

As a more general note, Pentax tends to add features through newer models, rather than firmware, so I would expect most of the features in this thread to be candidates for the K-1 successor.
This philosophy needs to change. Give me durable over-built bodies that can be upgraded within reason via firmware. Hell, I'll even pay for firmware if the upgrade is substantial enough.
02-28-2016, 09:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

monochrome rear lcd colours... white on black and black on white would be nice.
02-28-2016, 09:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
How can you ask for improvement when version 1 of the software is not out yet , it's still beta.
Well thats exactly the point.. if this things are not already included at V.1.0 .. they could take some and add it via firmware updates at some point.. We now know the hardware ( most of it ), but little software tweaks are always welcome and will make the camera even more attractive to new users.

For example the different crop ratios are really nice as some others said, and i believe that is a software implamentation.
02-28-2016, 11:24 PM   #14
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums

They could add 1:1 and 4:3 crop mode by firmware
02-29-2016, 07:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Yes, but wasn't a major feature (perhaps focus peaking) added to one of the Q cameras by firmware? (Vague memory).