Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are we missing the point? The third dial coupled with the massively larger viewfinder allows changing all these settings w/o removing your eye from the viewfinder.

02-29-2016, 09:21 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Exp. comp. - there is direct button exposure compensation
ISO - maybe, it's helpful if you use main wheels for another settings. but there is direct button too.
CH/CL - anyway, you should use LCD and 3-d wheel to choose modes - you can do the same via INFO button
BKT and HDR - rare used modes - easy to choose it via INFO button
Grid - ??? Hard to understand if you really need changed it instantly
SR - there is direct button programmed for SR now
Crop - there are only 3 mode - AUTO, FF and APS-C.
If you have FF lenses, you don't need to choose at all. If you have DA lenses - you make the choice one time.

If you have FF and DA lenses, I doubt that you need to choose the mode quickly. Anyway, there is AUTO mode.

Wi-Fi - K-S2 has the direct button for Wi-Fi.

---------- Post added 02-29-2016 at 06:53 AM ----------

I had GXR and I'd like to say that this camera offers TWO algorithms of direct controls of settings.

GXR has back push-wheel with direct access to settings. And DIRECT button.
I found this system is better than K-1's controls.
The GR uses a rear jog wheel that functions in a similar spirit: push it in to select functions then jog left or right to "dial" through sub functions that are user selected items one would normally find buried in menus. It is brilliant and IMO far superior to an e-dial. I bet the K1 team knocked it out of the park with that bit interface engineering.
02-29-2016, 09:25 AM   #18
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Are we missing the point? The third dial coupled with the massively larger viewfinder allows changing all these settings w/o removing your eye from the viewfinder.
How could it be? I see at the video that this man make changes via LCD, not in viewfinder - I doubt that all settings of upper dial we could see inside VF and make choosing the modes for HDR or shooting modes with different speed and e.t.c..
It seems to me this smart function is made for using via LCD, not in VF.
This dial reminds me Pentax Q dial at the front part of body.

Don't you think if the main back wheel and upper wheel have pressing opportunity (jog wheel) it could be MUCH better.

---------- Post added 02-29-2016 at 09:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
The GR uses a rear jog wheel that functions in a similar spirit: push it in to select functions then jog left or right to "dial" through sub functions that are user selected items one would normally find buried in menus. It is brilliant and IMO far superior to an e-dial. I bet the K1 team knocked it out of the park with that bit interface engineering.
GXR has also EVF and I could see all this settings inside!

Last edited by ogl; 02-29-2016 at 10:51 AM.
02-29-2016, 09:57 AM   #19

How could it be? I see at the video that this man make changes via LCD, not in viewfinder - I doubt that all settings of upper dial we could see inside VF and make choosing the modes for HDR or shooting modes with different speed.
It seems to me this smart function is made for using via LCD, not in VF.
This dial reminds me Pentax Q dial at the front part of body.

Don't you think if the main back wheel and upper wheel have pressing opportunity (jog wheel) it could be MUCH better.

---------- Post added 02-29-2016 at 09:26 AM ----------

GXR has also EVF and I could see all this settings inside!
Very cool and this makes perfect sense. I doubt the K1 shows all of the top dial subsettings in the viewfinder. With the larger body, I can understand the decision to move from jog dials to a 3rd top mounted dial. The GR jog dials can be difficult if not impossible to operate with gloves.

02-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #20
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
Very cool and this makes perfect sense. I doubt the K1 shows all of the top dial subsettings in the viewfinder. With the larger body, I can understand the decision to move from jog dials to a 3rd top mounted dial. The GR jog dials can be difficult if not impossible to operate with gloves.
But K-1 has bigger wheels...
02-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #21

But K-1 has bigger wheels...
Yes....it could certainly have been made to work. The simple fact that they carried the concept over is a win for me, and further points to the sharing the key items between Ricoh and Pentax.
02-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Exp. comp. - there is direct button exposure compensation
ISO - maybe, it's helpful if you use main wheels for another settings. but there is direct button too.
CH/CL - anyway, you should use LCD and 3-d wheel to choose modes - you can do the same via INFO button
BKT and HDR - rare used modes - easy to choose it via INFO button
Grid - ??? Hard to understand if you really need changed it instantly
SR - there is direct button programmed for SR now
Crop - there are only 3 mode - AUTO, FF and APS-C.
If you have FF lenses, you don't need to choose at all. If you have DA lenses - you make the choice one time.

If you have FF and DA lenses, I doubt that you need to choose the mode quickly. Anyway, there is AUTO mode.

Wi-Fi - K-S2 has the direct button for Wi-Fi.

---------- Post added 02-29-2016 at 06:53 AM ----------

I had GXR and I'd like to say that this camera offers TWO algorithms of direct controls of settings.

GXR has back push-wheel with direct access to settings. And DIRECT button.
I found this system is better than K-1's controls.
Well I don't actually know yet, how and why it will be, I do know that I can use ISO button, but what if and when you begin to customise this camera buttons. How it will be. I really like this idea. I have ISO button on my K-3, but there are always things that you can appreciate, especially in fast situations at field, gig ect.
and as been said before, APS-C mode gives baster burst...what if you need that just for a moment. and want to get back to previous mode just after that. It might not be the most used button, but I don't use all of my cameras buttons all the time anyway. just when needed.

02-29-2016, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The third dial coupled with the massively larger viewfinder allows changing all these settings w/o removing your eye from the viewfinder.
But the arrangement seems ergonomically awkward.

Rehearse using it. Pretend to shoot with your dominant eye [left eye, in my case], whilst adjusting the 'Function' dial, then rotating the 'Setting' dial. You almost need a third hand to complete the adjustment process and manage the shutter.

Probably with practice one could get used to it. But 'classic' interface modes like on-body button-press + setting adjustment with the existing front or rear mode dial works better whilst keeping an eye in the viewfinder.
02-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^ I guess we'll have to wait.
02-29-2016, 04:50 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This 3rd Wheel could be nice to have a focus peaking zoom that can be controlled using this wheel..
02-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For winter tripod shooting, the new control dial makes much more sense for hands which will have heavy mitts on. Thank you, Pentax.
02-29-2016, 07:57 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OGL, as he often does, has a point. Maybe not a great one, but it does seem as if the Pentax engineers came up with a great idea for a third wheel and then had too many spots on it so they added whatever they could think of.

+/- ~ Awesome feature, can definitely see myself using it
ISO ~ Even more awesome! Three exposure parameters, three wheels. How can you get any cooler!
ChCl ~ Ok, maybe useful but I never take more than one shot per minute so whatever
BKT ~ I bracket a lot, so this might be useful but not sure what features it includes so will have to wait and see
HDR ~ Meh. But Ok if you shoot the camera HDR it is easier than digging into a menu, maybe
Grid ~ Hmm, added to fill a slot maybe? Don't see myself using it
SR ~ Oddly enough this makes sense, I do turn SR on off, and the INFO button is fine but this might be quicker and easier to remember
Crop ~ Meh. Whatever.
WiFi ~ Meh. Not something I'll ever use but hey it takes up a spot on the wheel so it's all good. And it says 'WiFi' on the wheel so you can look cool when out shooting
02-29-2016, 09:10 PM   #28

OP, shutter speed dial was best. You could count the clicks and not even look at it for candid work.
02-29-2016, 11:32 PM   #29
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
The problem is that Ricoh engineers have no any relations with K-1's development. And better camera control solution is not realized.
Smart function is rather ergonomically awkward and archaistic. IMO

---------- Post added 02-29-2016 at 11:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
OGL, as he often does, has a point. Maybe not a great one, but it does seem as if the Pentax engineers came up with a great idea for a third wheel and then had too many spots on it so they added whatever they could think of.
Nothing to prevent you to use INFO button (which it's the same direct access to settings) and direct buttons +/- , ISO and direct button for SR with the same success.
02-29-2016, 11:45 PM   #30
Forum Member

Perhaps it's a battery saving measures. The main LCD uses a lot of energy. The 3rd e dial solves that. Just a thought.